PDA

View Full Version : Flying

Basha
15-05-06, 19:20
Hi;

I've never posted under Phobia's before, but I thought this would be the best place for my post.

I'm TERRIFIED of flying. I am going back to Canada in 3 days, I haven't seen my friends or family in a year and a half, and all I can think of is a plane crash dream I had a few months ago. It was so real. Flying is always hard for me, I get sweaty, dizzy, I cry on takeoff and sit tensed for hours. It's miserable. The thought of flying is enough to bring these symptoms on alone. I am so afraid of dying on the flight, and I don't want to die. I am young and have too much to do in my life.

I also want so desperately to see my friends and family again and I am terrified of something happening to prevent that.

Can anybody help?

Tasha

"To do anything in this world worth doing, we must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger; but jump in, and scramble through as well as we can."
-Sydney Smith

shiv
15-05-06, 19:28
Oh, I'm sorry Tash. Can't really offer you any advice because this is a HUGE phobia for me. I'm absolutely convinced when I set foot on board aplane, it's going to crash! I spend the whole flight listening to every tiny noise and I'm constantly monitoring the stewardesses faces trying to work out if there's some sort of problem with the plane!

I know that doesn't really help u tash, but I just want you to know that you're not alone in this horrid fear.

Shiv x

Daisybun
15-05-06, 19:30
I had fears about flying, especially take off, once I'm up there I'm fine. I took travel pills that pretty much knocked me out at first. Is there anything your dr could prescribe just to 'get you through' the flight? Try and think positive thoughts, the good things about flying - seeing your family and friends - the food LOL - anything that you can think of really to take your mind off it.
Hope that helps

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Basha
15-05-06, 20:19
Thanks guys. I appreciate your support. I got some valium (2mg) from the doctor, so if the going gets too tough, I'll try taking one of those and hopefully that will help.

Keep your fingers crossed for me! xxxx

"To do anything in this world worth doing, we must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger; but jump in, and scramble through as well as we can."
-Sydney Smith

BoxerMad
16-05-06, 16:26
i have got a book that is great if you are nervous flyer it is called Flying Without Fear and it is by Keith Godfrey, Gordon Redrup. it has helped me.

marie ross
16-05-06, 20:22
Hi Basha,

I'm petrified of flying, but last year somehow made the 9 hours flight to jamaica. I got on the plane after a few vodkas, but once in my seat i felt numb i was too scared to breath just in case something happened to the plane. On the way back, a friend of mine gave me a sleeping pill (never took one in my life) within half an hour i was asleep and i woke up as we made the landing into manchester. I felt totally rubbish afterwards (effects of the sleeping pill) but it was nothing compared to the 9 hours of terror i would of felt if i did'nt take it. Now that i've down such a long flight, i'm hoping that a 3 or 4 hour flight somewhere else will be a breeze, but i'm not going to test that theory out just yet!!!!

You'll make it i'm sure you will, and won't it be worth it to see your friends and family, there're be so proud of you.

Take care.

Marie XXX

panicdiva
28-05-06, 22:26
Hi,

I totally understand the fear of getting on a flight - totally. However, for me it is not the fear of crashing. For me it is the fear that I am stuck in this small confined space for hours on end - the fear that there is absolutely no way that if the panic gets so bad I cannot get off - I am stuck there - it completely freaks me out. I hate being confined to my seat especially when the seatbelt light is on. I just feel so trapped - this is my ultimate fear - the fear of being trapped. So although I do not fear crashing I do totally relate to the fear of being on a plane for those few hours. Having to do this myself in 4 wks.

Please do let us know how you got on when you get back.

scoobygirl2005
29-05-06, 16:01
Hi.

Try not to worry. I know what you mean, I am scared of flying too. Are you flying with anyone? If not you could mention to one of the cabin crew that you are a little scared and they will support you. Just try not to worry. If you can when you are on the plane try and sleep that way you will stop worrying. Hope this helps.

Scooby2005
x x

snappercats
01-06-06, 10:56
Hi Basha - having just got off (yesterday) a vile flight from Cyprus, I can understand your fears completely. I am terrified of flying to the extent that on take off I break into a sweat, shake and (like yesterday) cry!!! I must have been scaring other people on the flight - as well as my partner!

I hated every single second of it, even after having a few brandies to try and calm me.

Like others on here, I sit and listen for ANY tiny sound and turbulance .... well I'm just convinced the plane's going to drop out of the sky.

My brother is in the aerospace business and has tried to rationalise my fears to no avail.

It's so bad, that I can't even understand why people are talking and saying 'when we get back we must do this blah blah' ... I feel like saying 'You're not going to get back!!!'.

I'm going to try and get some help as I don't want to stop travelling abroad.

Hope everything went ok.

darkangel
01-06-06, 11:55
hi

I used to be terrified of flying.
I would listen to all the noises waiting on something to happen and like panicdiva hated the feeling of being trapped and not being able to roll down the window for some air!
Two years ago I sat in Edinburgh airport causing such a scene as I couldnt get on the plane, when i did get on i cried the whole way, had numerous panic attacks, kept pressing the cabin crew button every time the plane changed noises, my family just about disowned me when we landed! Coming back was the same - the woman behind me said I had started to frighten the other passengers cause I was convinced something was wrong with the plane. I wanted them to land again so I could get off. I said I would never fly again.

Anyway, I did go on a flight a few weeks ago and what got me through was changing the way I thought about flying. When we chatter to ourselves in a negative way, all the what ifs, we are so tense that of course we will be anxious and panicky. Over the next few days, each time you feel anxious about the flight change the wording to I am really excited about the flight, I cant wait to see my friends and family, etc. Look on it as a wonderful journey and you will notice a huge difference.

I did have slight anxiety, but I thoroughly enjoyed the flight, even coped with the turbulence and excuse the pun but I felt on cloud nine when I came home, I was so proud of myself. There is nothing you can do to control a plane, so sit back and relax.

PS Drink plenty water, take a relaxation tape with you and print out some positive words of encouragement from this site or any other positive thoughts to read over when you feel overwhelmed. It does work.

Take care and enjoy

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

shiv
01-06-06, 13:03
Hi there,

Just caught up on this thread again. I wasn't very helpful was I in my reply! Basically, I AM terrified still but I don't avoid because that makes the problem worse doesn't it. My mum lives in Spain, so I fly out there every year and the only way I can do it is with valium or booze or a small dose of both!! I find my children a great distraction but if you don't have children get yourselfa book you know you will become engrossed in immediately- preferably a funny one. (Don't do what my mum did, who is also terrified of flying- she bought a book about 9/11 for God's sake!!!). There are some american fear of flying sites that are quite helpful- one run by an experienced passenger plane pilot but I forget what it's called sorry! There was all sorts of things to download on there including airplane noises! There's also a lot of factual stuff about how planes stay up in the air etc- it's actually very good.

If all else fails mate- good old valium does the trick: it takes the edge off anyway.

Good luck

Shiv x

panicdiva
01-06-06, 18:37
I have a web site about fear of flying on my favourites. Hope everyone finds it helpful.

http://www.airfraid.com/default.asp

Basha
07-06-06, 21:55
Hi;

Thank you so much for all your support. I did my flight and made it back safely. I survived, but didn't enjoy the ride! On take off on the way out I cried like a baby and started hyperventilating..my poor partner! Luckily a lovely flight attendant spoke to me and checked up on me throughout the flight. I felt really embarrassed when we landed.. I felt like other passengers were staring at me the whole time.

The flight back to England was horrible.. I took about 6mg of valium which did nothing for me.. the flight was delayed by 3 hours because of a mechanical problem, and then it was SO turbulent the whole way back. I cried and panicked the whole 6 and a half hours! Not good. :( Oh and I know what you mean about thinking the plane is going to fall out of the sky...I can't understand either how people can talk about reaching the other end!

I really need to get some help with this... I don't want to feel like this again. I noticed the one website..does anyone know of any fear of flying courses or anything? I live in Bath.

Thanks again for so much support!

-Sydney Smith

the8th
08-06-06, 09:42
Basha, I was afraid to fly too. So badly in fact I was shaking and crying before getting in the taxi to go to the airport. See if your doctor can perscribe you something to take on the plane to calm you down. I was given Ativan (you just stick a little pill under your tongue and it melts), and really it worked well. I just put on my headphones and closed my eyes right after and I slept through the whole thing. Even some over the counter stuff like motion sickness medicine can help.

looking4answers
25-07-06, 10:52
I can understand quite where you are all coming from .My wife is from the Philippines and we live in the US ...a all and all 21 hour flight..5 hours to seatle from where we are then 14 hours to Tai pei and then another 3 hours to Manila then another hour or so to Cebu...Can you imagine someone so anxious that in another time in their life would never get on a flight..even though the flight was a buisness flight and was free...Well that was me..But when it came to going 21 hours flying I was deep down terrified...Before the first flight we were on came in ...it was delayed for mechanical malfuntion for over two hours..that was great..gave me two more hours for my anxiety to kick in...Got on that flight ..got to Seatle and decided that I wanted to rest a week before Tai Pei..My wife thought i had lost it but decided to humor me..We then did a little tour of Seatle for about a week and tried it again..Then we got on the plane for 14 hours to Tai Pei..I am a smoker so this was almost an unheard of thing.I took a librium before we left but was so keyed up it really didin't help..As I sat there listening and watching everything ...sounds ,faces..etc..I slipped into a sleep.I suppose it was because of the altitude...but it helped..When we were in turbulance I awoke and was so tired from being anxious I went right back to sleep..We arrived in Tai Pei and there was your classic bad weather worry ..thunderstorms ..but we wondered around the airport for about two hours ,and met some fascinating people..and it relaxed me about the flight to Manila..I think one thing that helps is being so tired you don't care whether a plane tosses or tumbles or what..Also watch other people that seem to be long time flyers and try to chat with them a little about things..It really seems to work..and when on long flights.. take a day or two off and do some touring..around somewhere you have never been ...and think of the billions of people that have traveled the same route before you and never had issues.. they made it and so will you .. Needless to say it was a long trip there and a long one back.. but the little rest and relaxation stops between the flights really helped..I think back about flying that far and wonder if I would do it again ..I think I could, and for me that is a miracle..Also I have found a site one the internet of a captin that has been flying for years and answers every question you could ever ask or want to know about planes or flying.I found it very comforting and think that you might as well.I will post it below..Hope this helps...

http://www.askcaptainlim.com/

panicdiva
25-07-06, 11:11
Wow looking4answers!!!! Talk about really facing your fears - Feeling the fear but doing it anyway!!! That's you - fantastic. A big congratulations & well done to you. You should be proud of yourself - & you admit that you might do it again. I thought I did well managing one 9hr flight!!! But you did all that & back again. Thanks for posting & giving us all inspiration.

KITTY_001
01-01-07, 12:39
FLYING!! is evil i had to portugal on a plane and i had a panic attack threw up i was white as a ghost for all of the trip and i broke the seat by holding onto it too hard it was HORRIBLE!!

bubbleblitt
24-02-07, 06:34
I recognise all of the above symptoms! I am terrified of flying and the minute we book a flight I start having sleepless nights, can't eat properly, very pre occupied all the time.My husband loves flying and his patience is wearing thin.I usually panic around a week before a flight but we have recently booked a long haul trip for June and it's started already.Any of you tried a fear of flying course? I feel too scared to even go on one Bubbleblitt

domino
24-02-07, 07:14
The money i have wasted on holidays, book em, never seem to actually go on them, i,m 50 november, and my twin and i have always wanted to go to new zealand, this was before p.a,s. started, i would love to go of course and what an ideal time to travel, big occasion, holiday of a "life time" and all that,but the thought of wasting 8 grand!!! give me advice please, too late when i,ve booked it. hundreds of pounds is one thing but thousands thats something else.

domino
24-02-07, 07:16
Just Seen My Quote At The End Of My Post, How True Is That.

bubbleblitt
24-02-07, 15:04
Hi Rickards, I'm the same about booking and then not going through with the trip! I've bottled out of a long haul flight last year and a short haul too. In an ideal world I would like to book two days before because then I'd only have too feel awful for those two or three days but it's too expensive to book at the last minute.I am so tempted to do the Virgin fear of flying course.I wish I'd met someone 'in real life' who has been through the course and really been cured by it. Bubbleblitt