PDA

View Full Version : Infection after bite???

leanne1980
10-09-11, 18:58
Hi everyone,
last week i was on antibiotics after being biten, after a couple of weeks it didnt go and went infected, anyway im fine now, its my brother who is 16, he has been on an adventure weekend, he looks like he had what i had, a large lump like area in his leg and its red and hot, like mine was only you cant see where he's been biten. Im feeling sick its a tumor or something ridiculous! Help me!! i was feeling quite positive lately x
Leanne xx

countrygirl
10-09-11, 19:42
Sounds just like a nasty bite- I live by the sea with salt marshes and we have nasty mosquitos the biting kind that are active from August to early October and everyone in the area constantly has bites which are always hard lumps with red inflamed areas round them. I find that if you apply tea tree oil then they don't get infected and never ever scratch them as this is what gets the infection in.

If the red area turns into what looks like a dartboards bullseye then that can be from a tick bite and that needs antibiotics straight away because of lymes disease.

Most mossie bites if left alone and treated with antiseptic of some kind will resolve themselves within a couple of weeks although it can take many weeks for the mark on the skin to go.

leanne1980
11-09-11, 12:01
thankyou so much for your reply, im feeling a bit better today, stupid stupid anxiety!!!!! my brother is playing football today haven't seen him yet, im trying not to ask him continually lol its hard though xxxxx

daisydoo
11-09-11, 12:08
Ah its nice you care. He should be glad he has a caring sister. Hope my two girls are the same. It sounds as if it is a local infection and as he is young and healthy should cause no harm. If the redness starts to spread and the lump gets bigger he may need some antibiotics but he sounds fine! i am the sane thou if my mom or dad are unwell i make excuses to ring them about ten tines a day

leanne1980
11-09-11, 19:13
hiya
the redness has gone down and so has the swelling area but the lump is still there a bit,dunno whats up with me feel so anxious again! xx thanks for the kind reply, he is 16 and i have been his carer since our mum died when he was 5, so we r very close xxx

countrygirl
11-09-11, 20:41
Understandable you are like a mum to him. The lump can last for a couple of weeks so don't worry about that. I got another two mossie bites and have a hard lump on ankle and one on arm.

When I first came to live by the salt marsh I was in a right panic as no one warned me about the mosquitos but now the only conversations the locals have from august to oct is mossie bites!

daisydoo
11-09-11, 20:54
Ah country girl that has made me a little less jealous i dont live by the sea. But only a little! Lucky you

countrygirl
11-09-11, 21:21
Daisydoo - the views over the bay are spectacular especially the sun on the sands and the hills across the bay so its worth putting up with the little critters and their big teeth for a few months of the year!

daisydoo
11-09-11, 21:24
Oh wow sounds wonderful. Also made melaugh laugh

leanne1980
12-09-11, 21:49
Thanks ladies the swelling has gone right down and so has redness but lump marble size still there, he says it dosnt hurt now, and I think it's def gone down in size, I also would love to live by the sea, xxx really appriciate you taking time to reply to me xx

daisydoo
12-09-11, 22:08
Hi. Glad he is ok and its normal for to worry. Sounds like you are doing a wonderful but im sure a very hard job of caring for your brother. Look after yourself too! x