PDA

View Full Version : Quinene and tonic water?

lindajane1971
10-09-11, 20:06
Hi everyone,
I suffer from terrible restless legs and have been looking for something to help with it, i read that tonic water can help as it contains quinene which docs prescribe for cramps and restless legs, so i bought some today - it tastes horrible lol -
but now looking it up online as "tonic water for leg cramps" ive seen hundreds of messages from people saying how they were allergic to it, it can cause rashes, destroys kidney function, destroys platelets, has been banned in the US!
Now omg i am in a panic about taking it, of course i know logically that the shops will not be selling stuff that could be dangerous like that but of course my anxious mind is telling me to panic as i drank some. :(
my legs feel werid now :( its like a slight tingly feeling from my feet up to my thighs, im convinced thats not right and im going to come to serious harm :(
Help!

daisydoo
10-09-11, 21:38
Never heard that! I really wouldnt worry about very often advised by doctors and been around for years. Just think of all those gin and tonics. Had a few of those myself and nrver had any reaction. Well i have but always put that down to the gin. May try telling my husbabd that next tine its nit the gin its the tonic. But seriously i can understand you worrying because as soon as a seed of doubt is in my its blown out of proportion. But try and ignore it and relax as you are ok. Restless kegs must be horrible tjiu xx

Bruno58
10-09-11, 21:54
I have had the restless legs problem for some time now, weird sensation like the nerves are being stretched deep in the legs and uncontrolled twitching? cramps in bed too,

I was told by a friend it was a shortage of salt in the body, next time it happened I put about half spoonful of salt in a glass and filled it with warm water mixed it up and drank it! the cramps etc were just washed away in minutes...previously I was hopping around for 20-30 minutes in pain just trying to make the cramps go away.

Blood test showed my 'sodium' was low, it should be 136-150 or thereabouts, mine can go down to 128.

My leg pains are much more severe now and my recent GP's med records refer to claudication which is poor blood circulation in the lower legs:ohmy:

I tried the tonic water. one taste and I poured the bottle down the sink, its horrible!