PDA

View Full Version : Question - Throat cancer

HazyMind
11-09-11, 10:55
Ok so I was at the doctors a couple of days ago as I have been ill with what the doctor says is a virus!

When he was doing the regular checks and looked at my throat he said it looked sore ( it didn't feel sore :wacko: )

So now of course it feels sore because of what he said and I can't help but think it must be throat cancer :wacko: :(

Me being anxious and hyper anxious about my health and the fact that I am ill I feel pretty bad right now....

Anyway question is - if I had throat cancer would the doctor have noticed that with the brief check he did of my throat? :wacko:

Gemma T
11-09-11, 11:21
You would normally have to see an ent who will stick sank down your nose so they can see the throat.

Sore throats are sooooo common, im sure its just a virus. Throat cancer is very painful. You normally cant eat because its too painful to swallow. Trust me you would know about it.

Do you even smoke? I mean its not just smokers who get it but predominantly smokers x x x

HazyMind
11-09-11, 11:33
Thanks Gemma!!

Yes I smoke... My throat seems swollen and it was painful to swallow food last night but pain has eased a bit, I am just noticing every feeling at the mo as I am highly anxious but will get to the doc again soon if it doesn't pass...

Thank you xx

Gemma T
11-09-11, 11:47
I gave up for 10 weeks and three days. I smoked for a week and went back on my patches on thursday. 3 whole days then this morning i had one again. Im not gonna beat my self up about it though. I have a patch back on and its just been the one.

For months ive been convinced i have oral cancer. I have teeny tiny ulcers that wont go away. Been there at least a month. Never got any worse and my doctor wasnt worried at all. I have a bump on the roof of my mouth which he said isnt a lump and certainly dont feel or look cancerous. Yet still it plagues me. Seen the dentist as well who laughed when i told him i thought i had oral cancer. He is reffering me but only for my piece of mind. He aint worried at all.

All this and weeks later i end up smoking. Im getter better and think this might be why i started again. I loved not smoking. When i had one this morning i enjoyed nothing about it. Ive come so far and a week aint exactly a relapse lol

Smoking always made me feel like my tongue was stripped, it randomly hurt. My coughs were so bad. Even my family noticed my cough went. When ever i coughed I panicked and it made it worse so if i dont have to deal with that again giving up gets my thumbs up.

I dont know if you want to give up but if you do we can be giving up buddies? Makes sense if our worries are the same. We can support each other. Np pressure just a suggestion.

Im sure your fine though. I really wouldnt worry. The at risk groups of oral and throat cancers are men, over 50, heavy smokers or heavy drinkers. Oral cancer is actually something pipe smokers and tobbaco chewers get because of the contact.

Think im trying to convince myseklf here lol

Please dont worry and if you want to talk pm me.

Love Gem x x x

HazyMind
11-09-11, 14:32
Awww Thanks Gemma, that's so sweet of you!!

I know I really do need to give up as smoking is always at the fore front of my mind with my health anxieties!

I am just worried as I am so depressed at the moment and it is the only thing that I really have to look forward to at the moment :wacko:

I know that might sound sad and bad but it does worry me if I have the strength to face it at the moment! I am making excuses I know....

I will read Allen Carr's how to stop smoking book again as it did help motivate me before, have you read it? It sounds about the right time for you to read it as it can give you that final kick to stop if read at the right time!

I will get reading his book again and will be in touch again soon when a smoking buddy would be absolutely fab!! I need to stop making excuses...:shrug: :winks:

Thank you!! And I'm sure you will be fine!! Your doc and dentist would both have noticed if there were any problems there, you need to listen to your own advice :winks:

Thank you!! xx

Gemma T
12-09-11, 12:24
Yeh I do.

I thought i had heart problems for months and still smoked. Everyone said if i was that worried i would stop but i always felt as though it was the only thing i did that was still sane. That id be giving up as a coping mechanism and not because i wanted to. Plus whats the point if im dying.

None of this silly.

Cigarettes are just like heroin and cocaine. The only diff is cigarettes are legal. If they were illegal giving up would be easier. Unless your a criminal lol

Alot of people mention that book. Think my aunt has it. Ill borrow it from her.

Love Gem x x x