PDA

View Full Version : DO YOU HAVE PANIC ATTACKS ?

mirry
15-05-06, 20:22
How long have you suffered with them ?

And have they ever effected your health in a serious way ?

mirryx

Shaz
15-05-06, 21:30
Hi Mirry
I have suffered from anxiety for 1-2 years, although reaally nasty at times, it hasn't effected my health.

Shaz

What cannot be fitted into your day, cannot be done - forget about it!

Coyote
15-05-06, 21:52
Ive suffered for about 9 years, longer if you consider anxieties on and off as a youngster. I've had panic/anxiety attacks, agoraphobia, depression and everything associated with each (including periods of various OCD), including IBS. Its been <beeeep> and has ruined so much of my life, from career (how can I do what I'm good at beyond locally with this?), to relationships (ultimately caused my divorce), to self esteem!

Now I'm just getting over depression, but a recent bad panic attack took me by surprise, but am struggling to remain in control and put some final nails in the coffin of the little <beeeep> problem.

It has taught me an awful lot though, my priorities in life are close to spot-on I believe. Unfortunately, those who haven't been through such things don't appreciate or respect that, so I'm left feeling hollow and looked down upon by society.

"Where is the honour, the courage and will? The ability to smile - confined to a pill"

giddy
15-05-06, 21:55
Hi Mirry - I think I've only had a couple of panic attacks, I think what I thought were panic attacks were actually just severe anxiety attacks. It gets a bit confusing people seem to experience them in different ways. I've never had a feeling of terror. I had about 3 months of constant high anxiety and all the symptoms and I think my health has definatly been affected - I'm exhausted all the time, I have insomnia and my body aches after the slightest exercise. I also had severe anxiety 15 years ago and 9 years ago.
Love Helen

eeyorelover
16-05-06, 03:25
Well I have had anxiety and panic for almost 15 years. All the usual fun stuff like racing thoughts, pounding chest, feeling like I can't breathe, insomnia. But I haven't had any REAL health problems. I have had all the what if thoughts. If I had all the stuff I have made myself believe that I had over the years, I would be a nasty mess - lol

Sandy
(eeyorelover)

If the world didn't suck... we'd all fall off :)

Phill2
16-05-06, 04:20
Hi Mirry
Once again it depends on how you define a panic attack.
By my reckoning I've only had one that lasted 3 days. The rest is just heightened anxiety.
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

chellebelle
16-05-06, 06:29
I've suffered from panic attacks for nearly eight years now - my doctor jokes with me that I'm taking an awfully long time to die from the headaches that I try to convince him are a brain tumour/something deadly.

"This too, shall pass"

Paddington
16-05-06, 11:00
hi mirry,had anxiety /panic for 19 years[not counting the ones as a child,seems not unusual the child panics!]my health has suffered too i feel,I.B.S.,ACID REFLUX,AND A CONSTANT ON OFF VIRAL INFECTION![DR SAYS MAYBE M.E.]good luck with the survey.mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

bernadette
23-05-06, 20:32
hi there i have had panic attacks for 20 yrs as i am 37 i havent had a life they controll me when it should be the othere way round the past 2 years it got really bad i held my hand up and said i need to see someone i need a lit help here i never asked for it before but as i have got 5 kids my husband has got ms i feel embarist with wot i have got but never mind i all ways say there are people out there who is worse than me take care now bernadette

mirry
24-05-06, 13:44
Hi Bernadette,

im also 37 and i feel embarresed about my panic attacks but im trying to shake of that thought, we dont need to feel ashamed because we are only human :D
You done the right thing asking for help from your doctor, hope you are doing ok.

mirryx

lin
27-05-06, 15:40
Hi

I suffer with anxiety more than panic attacks i think i've only had 3 panics in 4yrs which is good a suppose.

They haven't affected my health.

linda xx

michelle-lee
28-05-06, 21:19
i have suffered from panic attacks for just over a year now and because of the panic attacks, i have lost my job, can`t claim benefits and have been booked unfit to work from my doc.

m.snyman

scoobygirl2005
29-05-06, 15:44
I have panic attacks, it depends on how frequent they come, some days I have about 8 in a day, then some only 2. I am not sure if they affect my health, but I do feel very weak after I have had a panic attack. They just stress me out. Am fed up of them.

Scooby2005
x x

PurpleRain
30-05-06, 00:36
Hi
Ive suffered with anxiety and panic attacks for just over 10 years,also as a child i was very anxious but had my first panic attack at about the age of 17/18.
My health is affected in the way that i pick up virus's easily because i think my immune system is lowered due to the strain on my body from all this tension!!

Take care xx

tamla
22-06-06, 23:24
HI HAVE SUFFERED WITH PANIC ATTACKS AND ANXIETY FOR OVER 10 YEARS THE WORSE THING OF ALL IS THE DESTURBING THOUGHTS WHICH ARE VERY HARD TO EXPLAINE THE FEELIN OF BEING UNREAL AND THE FRIGHTINING FEELIN OF LOOSIN CONTROL AND WAITIN FOR SOMETHINK BAD TO HAPPEN LIKE BEING PUT IN TO A MENTAL HOSPITAL AND BEING LEFT THERE DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME COS I FEEL LIKE IM THE ONLY ONE

t motown

mirry
23-06-06, 07:33
Tamla , i used to worry that id end up in a mental hospital but nearly 5 years later..now i know im certainly not mad, infact as someone posted on here saying we are very Bright :D

mirryx

pinkpenny1uk
23-06-06, 13:11
hiya,
i have only been suffering panic attacks and anxiety since the beginning of dec last year.
in that time i have also been diagnoised with acid reflux and ibs. i have had reoccuring bouts of tonsillities and also suffer with ear infections and tinnitus.
i hate feeling out of control and just want my old self back. but i know it will be a long hard slog and now i do take a day at a time.

tom
19-07-06, 04:42
i have had anxiety and panic attacks for 3 years now. this is kinda new to me and with the attakcs comes heart palpitations that can last for days , and fear of dying. ive had tests done on my heart and the doctors all say its anxiety syndrome go home and learn how do deal with it. this is hell

tom

Twila
19-07-06, 07:40
Hi, I have suffered with panic attacks off and on for 15 years now. One minute i am fine and then out of the blue my heart starts racing plus alot more of the usual symptoms and I get this terrible fear that feels like the scariest feeling multipled my 1000 or more. I have no control over myself and i feel like I am losing control of my mind. The worst time I seem to get them is at night. [Sigh...] But no they have not affected my health. Just my ever day activities. i fear going where there are alot of people because I am afraid of getting an attack and there is no one there to help me. Really stinks too!

Twila

Twila
19-07-06, 07:42
Hi, I have suffered with panic attacks off and on for 15 years now. One minute i am fine and then out of the blue my heart starts racing plus alot more of the usual symptoms and I get this terrible fear that feels like the scariest feeling multipled my 1000 or more. I have no control over myself and i feel like I am losing control of my mind. The worst time I seem to get them is at night. [Sigh...] But no they have not affected my health. Just my ever day activities. i fear going where there are alot of people because I am afraid of getting an attack and there is no one there to help me. Really stinks too!

Twila

freakedout
20-07-06, 01:11
Hi everyone,

This is a great poll

I am 36, I have had panic attacks on and off for over 10 years. During that time my quality of life has changed dramatically. I finished work last year due to panic disorder, depression and agoraphobia, I have avoided more and more places and situations over the years to the point where I very rarely go out alone. It is a bizarre 'condition' where some days you can do more than others- I feel guilty on the good days that I am not going to work .

Because I have had panic attacks so long on and off, I am now too afraid to put myself in the situations where I previously panicked. I feel the desparate need to escape from places or situations. More than anything I would like to escape from the madness of my own mind, for it is THAT that traps me and causes fear and panic.

Physically I think the ongoing anxiety and panic attacks affect my health in a minor, depression associated with the panic attacks seems to affect my physical health though. However, psychologically and socially I am damaged goods! Beyond repair! Tormented and frustrated to death.

I am embarrassed to have a panic attack in front of others, but not embarrassed that I have this disorder. I feel misunderstood, but at the same time I dont want to explain to people how I feel and why I cannot attend work, shops, functions and party's - it all seems so pathetic and trivial, until you are in the thro's of a panic attack, with the sensation of impending doom, choking, gasping for breath, palpatating, going dizzy and lightheaded, losing touch with reality and your senses, frightened so frightened.

Its horrible! Sorry, got carried away!

So, I guess the answer is that yes the panic attacks have affected my health in a serious way, but not physically.

Freaky

chard22
20-07-06, 07:02
tamla
Starting Member

Posted - 23 June 2006 : 00:24:20
re:HI HAVE SUFFERED WITH PANIC ATTACKS AND ANXIETY FOR OVER 10 YEARS THE WORSE THING OF ALL IS THE DESTURBING THOUGHTS WHICH ARE VERY HARD TO EXPLAINE THE FEELIN OF BEING UNREAL AND THE FRIGHTINING FEELIN OF LOOSIN CONTROL AND WAITIN FOR SOMETHINK BAD TO HAPPEN LIKE BEING PUT IN TO A MENTAL HOSPITAL AND BEING LEFT THERE DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME COS I FEEL LIKE IM THE ONLY ONE

t motown

hey there motown, i experienced my first PA just 2 weeks ago. although it was so little ago, i experience 15-20 PA's a day from then on. i totally understand what you mean. it as if your watching your life end and theres nothing you can do to stop it. its like everything is symbolic of life and that everything is a much bigger deal than it should be.and you feel an almost crushing feeling or a spiraling feeling. the only thing i can say is to understand that YOU WILL NOT DIE. nor will you GO CRAZY. the only thing you can do is to take yourself out of the situation, take a deep breath and reacess whats going on. i know the feeling you speak of completly. and for a time i thought i was the only one. keep going because i believe theres light at the end of the tunnel.

richard.

richard

mirry
20-07-06, 09:12
Reading these posts has made me feel rather emotional :(

It is a horrible horrible disorder that no one can really understand unless youve been there. What drives me insane is sometimes when I tell my husband how I feel I know how mad I sound.

Its an Illness like any other but its a hidden disability that people cant see and therefore make no allowances for our behaviour.
If we were in a wheelchair, people would hold doors open for us and help us in lots of ways.

Who wants to help someone who appears perfectly healthy ?
We just appear lazy because we dont go to shops or go to work....

MY PERFECT DREAM IS FOR US ALL TO LIVE TOGETHER IN A VILLAGE,
A PLACE WHERE WE CAN GO TO THE SHOP AND PANIC AND EVERYONE AROUND US UNDERSTAND AND HELP EACH OTHER (wouldnt that be nice).

mirryx