PDA

View Full Version : new here and on amitriptyline and very worried...

pauln2
11-09-11, 18:52
Hi..I am having really sever panic / anxiety attacks. So muh change in the year- given up seroxat after 14 years /finished psych therapy after 15 years and new job which I find very difficult as feel inadequate and de moted in re redundancy in the company. I have been prescribed amitryptaline over last 10 days from 10 mg to now 30 and tomorrow 40mg etc. I just feel so depressed and I think the panic has got worse tho GP and Psychiatrist bot beg me to give it a real go...does anyone know if it enhances anxiety? some say it does..but both GP and psy, who know me cant all be wrong?

diane07
11-09-11, 18:54
Hi pauln2

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

ElizabethJane
11-09-11, 20:00
Hi Pauln2 I'm sorry that you are suffering at the moment. I was on dothiepin for sixteen years which is another tricyclic. The amytiptyline has sedative properties which should help with the anxiety. I am now on lithium and mirtazapine. Are you allergic to ssris? EJ

terror-x
11-09-11, 22:07
welcome to the forum

london
11-09-11, 22:22
its a old drug but a very very good one
its well worth a try mate
god bless

pauln2
13-09-11, 06:54
Thanks everyone for the support. It bcame so acute I stopped it and the acute crisis has ceased leaving a calmer feeling- still the issues to deal with but without the crisis - acute anxiety attacks. over the years It has been noted I am very triggered by medication. I was on seroxat 14 years and it took 4 attempts of crisis to come off..so manbe tablets even in very small does can have a huge effect on me. I prefer totake diazepham which I take small amounts of usually to sleep but will now try this in the day and see how it goes.

pauln2
13-09-11, 06:55
hey thanks

pauln2
13-09-11, 06:56
thanks Nil- left a thread below as now off it and feel heaps better! will have to see what else they advise......ummm

pauln2
13-09-11, 06:57
I wonder if maybe I am allergic. I have one of those nasy PD diagnosis!

Darcey
13-09-11, 10:22
Hi Pauln2,
I have recently been put on amitriptyline for anxiety/panic. Mainly to help with my tension headaches and the fact i dont sleep well. Im on 25mg at mo and have been for about a month. Im not sure it helps with my panic but it does help me sleep, even though it takes me a while to wake up in the morning! I have been told though that eventually the tiredness wheres off and some people stay on them for years to help with anxiety. Like you i am sceptical but im gonna give it a go. Im also going through CBT therapy, this maybe worth a go for you, its all about changing your thought process, again it takes time and practice but i think in the long run this will really help me. Anyway welcome to NMP and I hope this helps xx