PDA

View Full Version : Hi Ladies, smear result question?

haynsey
11-09-11, 23:38
Hiya, girls!
Just wanna ask a question.
How many people have had 3 smears in 9 months with each coming back as unsuitable/inadequate and then to be told i got to have a coloscopy, which is fair enough...if the third one comes back as inadequate?

Not sure how 3 smears without some sort of change by 3 different nurses in 2 different practices could happen with the new smear test now in effect!!

Carrera74
12-09-11, 08:09
Have they give you any reason why they are coming back like that? Have you had swabs done at the same time to check for infection? I had two smeara come back like this and they were able to read the third. My cervix has a habit of bleeding when touched during the procedure which made thw sample unreadable. I've has a few problems in the past and have had a few colposcopys. They're nothing to worry about. In fact they're more 'comfy' as you sit in a chair that enables the right angle lol.

countrygirl
12-09-11, 11:28
when I worked at a Drs a huge number of smear tests were unreadable for large range of reasons. The most common was contamination of sample by blood or heavy mucus ( don't have a test when you are ovulating).

The good thing about the colposcopy is that if that is okay then everything is def okay as they use a dye to stain the cervix and they can instantly see any area that looks a bit iffy.

haynsey
12-09-11, 11:29
Hi carrera, thx for your reply

It is really good to know that their is somebody out there who has the same results as me, i must admit that i havent had a test done for infection, recently i had antibiotics for cystitis.
I do find smears painful though and i do bleed after....
so you have had colposcopys before, it makes me feel better when you say they are not painful....

haynsey
12-09-11, 11:33
Thx countrygirl,
As you have stated it is reassuring to know that there is alot of women out there that do have the same results as me, i was given the impression that 2 unsuitable/inadequate smears was a rarity!!
My smears have always been between 14-18 days after first day of bleed from period...
thx again for your reply

Carrera74
12-09-11, 11:37
I've had two colposcopy's, treatment and check ups at the hospital too and I swear I didn't feel a thing. I was more embarrassed at having my legs akimbo to be honest :)

haynsey
12-09-11, 18:37
LOL
It seems undignified but that is what we ladies have to do!!!
x:D

countrygirl
12-09-11, 19:37
Just had a cystosocpy and that was mega undignified as the young male consultant said bring your heels up to your buttocks and then drop your knees out sideways like a frog!!!

Liliana83
12-09-11, 20:37
when I worked at a Drs a huge number of smear tests were unreadable for large range of reasons. The most common was contamination of sample by blood or heavy mucus ( don't have a test when you are ovulating).

The good thing about the colposcopy is that if that is okay then everything is def okay as they use a dye to stain the cervix and they can instantly see any area that looks a bit iffy.

Usually when a doctor has trouble seeing the cervix they add a vinegar based solution to clear it up..I know my gyno did so when he last saw me. It was a painless feeling..actually didn't even feel it!

haynsey
13-09-11, 00:33
Thx for replies girls!!
Yes i dont think the frog position would suit me..

xfilme
16-09-11, 15:11
inadequate tests are not to be confused with abnormal results. inadequate just means they could not get enough cells, not that there was anything wrong with them. a Colposcopy is to ensure enough cells are taken because they use a monitor with your cervix on to make sure it is done adequately. The reason you are concerned is probably because Colposcopies are used mostly for people with abnormal smear test results, but in your case, they are telling you its because the tests were insufficient to be able to look. I would say its most likely they are asking you to go for a Colposcopy to save furter stress of having to keep going for smear tests. The Colposcopy, also, is not to be confused with loop excision. A colposcopy is not a treatment, but a method of doing a more involved smear test. Only a loop excision or a biopsy would imply abnormal cells have been found. Even then, the fact that biopsies are routinely done in that department to investigate abnorma cells, its likely you will just get one anyway, seeing as you're there so they may as well. A letter indicating abnormal cells would also tell you the degree of abnormality by telling you what 'CIN' it is. The absence of this being mentioned, or any mention of abnormal, or borderline cells, pretty much confirms you are getting a Colposcopy referral just because they cant take the test properly so need the hospital to do it for them. What specifically did the letter say or what did the doctor say about the results? Try and remember the exact terms used and make sure youre not just assuming what you think they might have said. Did you get a letter at all?

haynsey
16-09-11, 17:48
At the moment i waiting for my test results on the third smear, but a letter of referral has been sent to the docs already, but the last 2 were in unsuitable.
Thx for your advice and reply
xx