PDA

View Full Version : Quitting tobacco and anxiety

MikeyJon
12-09-11, 07:40
For about the past 12 years I have been a fairly heavy abuser of smokeless chewing tobacco. Though I've decided I'd like to quit to improve my overall health, I have read some things about quitting tobacco increasing anxiety troubles that have given me pause. In a nutshell, I feel like I'm getting a handle on my panic attacks et al and I don't want to do anything to destroy that progress.
I am a babe in the woods when it comes to most things related to anxiety and panic attacks so I'd love any input or guidance you folks might have to offer!

Gemma T
12-09-11, 12:46
Ive recently became a non smoker. Well tried. I lasted 10 wks and three days then smoked for a week. Been back on my patches since thurs and have had three.

I was dissappointed as I noticed my will power flagging as my anxiety got better.

My doctor told me not to punish myself if I fall off the wagon and that tobbacco is like heroin only legal.

Id say join a quit group. Go to your GP or chemist and get some patches. Look at the nhs stop smoking site where you can order a free quit kit. Set a quit date and stick to it.

You also have me as a giving up buddy, I know its difficult and there maybe times when you go back to it. But Ill support you and help you stay on the straight and narrow.

Good luck

Gemma x x x

DaveCarter
12-09-11, 12:50
Hi MikeyJon,

I have just quit smoking (8 days ago to be precise), and I can say that for me, it didn't have any adverse effects with regards to my anxiety. I've been fine :)

I've heard people say:

- "If I don't smoke, I get too stressed."
- "Oh, well when did you start getting stressed?"
- "When I started smoking."

I found that in my situation, smoking was causing more anxiety, because I was constantly worrying about my health, and worrying about long journeys where I couldn't smoke etc etc.. You may find that quitting helps a little with your anxiety too.

Cheers, and good luck with giving up :)

Dave

P.S. If you have an iPhone, I strongly recommend the Livestrong "My Quit Coach" app. I used to smoke around 20 a day, and using that app I didn't even require any patches/gum etc. Best of luck!

Hazel B
12-09-11, 18:06
I quit smoking in May last year after 20 years. I wish I'd done it sooner. I also quit caffeine at the same time, cold turkey. The first week was tough but I just set my mind and ignored the cravings. The hardest part was making up my mind but I decided I'm supposed to be intelligent and there is no good reason to smoke or be addicted to nicotine. I don't want to be an addict and slave all my life so that's why I stopped. I feel so free now.

I also saw someone close waste away with lung cancer so that helped me decide.

My anxiety was so bad at the time that I couldn't say if giving up made it worse. Nicotine is a known stimulant so it must make anxiety worse, however we try to kid ourselves.

Good luck!

Luigi
13-09-11, 06:34
Tobacco is the worst addiction and it takes time to get rid of it. Every addiction can be controlled by your will power. It effects in the start but after sometime you can live without tobacco.

MikeyJon
14-09-11, 17:33
Thank you for all the tips! I have an appt with my gp this Friday (unrelated issue) but am going to bring this up while I'm there. I don't know how I feel about the patch etc but there are several "non-tobacco" alternatives available. They're made out of mint or coffee. Of course, my Dr may change my mind. Anyhow, Thanks again!

Hazel B
14-09-11, 21:27
Hope it goes well.:)

trish1955
14-09-11, 23:51
i quit smoking for 8yr after smoking for over 20yrs but then bang in 2000 started again wish to god i hadnt when i first quit i was waniouse for a shprt while but i will be honest i felt alot better not smoking finding it harder this time round to quit but hope you do it take care trish

eight days a week
14-09-11, 23:56
I thought the medical world was pretty much universally agreed that quitting tobacco/nicotine is on the whole a great thing for anxiety?