PDA

View Full Version : Structure and Routine/Keeping Busy

lele19
12-09-11, 09:51
Hi guys, im looking for suggestions on how to keep busy at home, since im finding it hard to leave the house alone at the minute. Also, any agoraphobics out there who have overcome this? I need to get a daily routine going, currently unemployed and have no pets or anything :/ what can I do thats productive? Really struggling here, any advice would be great. Thanks guys x

london
12-09-11, 11:50
pick some thing you like and study it
i like law its very good and can be very usefull
even when you can go out still study it helps and can help others
god bless

debs71
12-09-11, 17:06
Hi lele19,

It is great that you are seeking some kind of routine as I think this is crucial to getting through panic/anxiety, etc. and agorophobia.

I myself suffered bad panic attacks whilst in public places last year and it left me petrified to leave the house, what I would describe as mild agorophobia though. Every time I tried to get out I would worry I was going to panic so didn't go. In the end the only way I found to truly conquer it was to just MAKE myself go and face the anxiety and worry head on, as I knew if I didn't I would never go out again. God, it was scary, and I did panic a bit in shops but I just sweated and breathed deeply and got through it, and then the more I did this, the less the symptoms came, but it was hard.

For routines at home (I too am unemployed at present) I have a kind of deal with myself that I don't lay in (I found that laying in just made my mind work overtime) so I make myself get up at a reasonably early time, shower and dress. I then watch a bit of tv and do some job searching on the internet. I also play a lot of games on the internet - word games in particular, as this helps with distraction when I am anxious and also keeps my brain going whilst I am out of work. I have my lunch at a set time - around 1.30/2pm and then if anything needs doing around the house, I do that. I may also prepare dinner early (peeling the veg, etc)

I really feel that a routine is important, as the less we do, the more we fret and get anxious.

As london says, study is a really good idea, as it is the same thing as the word games - it occupies the mind and distracts from anxiety. I am starting an Open University course in October - English Fiction Writing (something that interests me) I have been out of work so long that I needed something to focus on.

Bear in mund hun that your routine doesn't have to be strict, it can just be around certain times you do whatever/this and that.

Also, don't tell yourself that this agorophobia is set in. Just tell yourself you are having a glitch and at some point you will get out of the house.

All the best.xx:hugs:

lele19
12-09-11, 17:52
Thanks for your replies guys. Debs that's great about the english course, I'm actually a freelance journalist and I work from home part time writing for a magazine, so I know how much writing can be used as a distraction! I'm thinking of taking a GCSE in French! Or maybe a certificate? I saw one with the open Uni but the course was £480 which is a bit steep for me! I wouldn't label myself as agoraphobic, I can leave the house when I'm with another person. Only 8 weeks ago I was on holiday in Verona, I don't see how these things can hit you so hard and so fast! x

vicky23
12-09-11, 19:21
hi,
this is just advice based on something I've read so it very much depends on how YOU feel whether it's something that is doable. But I think the best way to overcome something like agrophobia is to make a plan of attack for getting out the house on your own. So step one will be standing with your door open and looking out into your garden or street, next step is to walk to your gate, keep repeating these things so do them as often as you can (not so much that you get overwhelmed just long enough to prove to yourself that while the anxiety is very uncomfortable you can still function in spite of it) then when you feel comfortable walking to your gate then walk to a lap post or other marker, then get to your local shop etc the key is to keep repeating/practising going out on your own on a regular basis but not doing too much so you get overwhelmed
So doing this everyday will give you something to focus on, maybe keep a dairy so you can see your progress, give yourself rewards like a hot bath or as money allows something material, but I think the best rewards are emotional; telling yourself how well you've done, make yourself a chart for your wall so you can see your progress everyday.
There's some great books out there so go to the library with a person you trust they'll explain a plan of action better than I can I'm sure! lol
best wishes!