PDA

View Full Version : Worst panic attack I have ever had.

hannah26
12-09-11, 16:14
I have never had a panic attack that was as bad as the one I had last night, It was terrifying.
Ok so I had to sleep downstairs last night on the sofa which I hate my bedroom is being redecorated, I fell asleep and woke up at around 1 or maybe earlier I dont know but I ran my hands through my hair as I was hot and wanted to put it up and it felt like my right arm had gone numb which set of my panic, my chest started hurting and I had a band of cold going through it and my arms went tingly and cold.
I felt like I was going to die, I couldnt see past it, I can always see to the other side of a panic attack and although I feel bad I know I will be ok in a little while but last night I couldnt do that.
I didnt feel like me all I felt was that my time was up and that I had to go to hospital, I ran upstairs and woke my mum up and asked her over and over to call 999 she didnt of course she could see that I was just having a PA but to me it felt more than that to me.
I felt dizzy and I couldnt breathe I thought I would pass out I just could not get enough air in my lungs.
I sat on my mums bed for about 15 minutes and she talked me through it and I calmed down and just cryed for ages, I have never felt like that before throughout the whole 10 years that I have had panic attacks and anxiety not even my first one felt like that.
Sorry I just wanted to unload and ask if anyone thinks it might be because I was on day 12 of citalopram and I have carried on taking it but do you think it might be because of that?
Any advice would be great, Thanks Hannah x x

paulhem
12-09-11, 17:11
Sounds like a simple case of blood restriction because of where/the way you slept and that set you off.

Has happened to me so many times i now can control it with a minute or so though at first i could have written a post exactly like yours.

You know what it was. Another panic attack caused by a physical sensation.

Over time you will learn to "come down" from the fear state quicker and tell it to go away - it will too!

I`m betting many here can relate to your post above. That type of attack used to scare me the most as being only half awake you tend to jump in alarm and everythings pumping.

Anxious_gal
12-09-11, 17:46
Your right arm was numb from sleeping funny, you missinturptated it and started to panic,
when I panic bad, my chest hurts and feels too tight and the tingling is just from breathing too fast,
I get that feeling too, like I can't get air down into my chest, that's because when you panic your muscles tense up up , you can actually breath and more than likely getting too much oxygen but it feels like your suffocating, the running down the stairs might have made the feeling worse.
I so far have had maybe 3 of the really bad panic attacks, where my chest is too tight, I can't breath, I feel like I'm very close to fainting, scary as hell.
I do get bad anxiety but my anxiety is worse now that I know how BAD a panic attack can get.
Like you I could always talk my self down or stay some what calm. So it was a bit of a shock to feel how bad it can get and how little control I had over it :(

The medication you are on is known for making anxiety worse for the first couple of weeks,

happy13
18-09-11, 08:30
I feel so bad for you, I have had many attacks like these and they are terrifying. I'm glad you had some one there for you and personally I always feel loads better after a cry, i think it acts as a relief. Keep going with the meds. It won't be this bad for ever. Good luck. xx