PDA

View Full Version : auditory hallucinations

InsomniaGirl
12-09-11, 19:06
Hey, I've been on citalopram for 2 weeks and for the last few days have been experiencing auditory hallucinations - constant ringing like an alarm and weird repetitve music. Thing is I've slept an average of 2 hours a night for the last 5 weeks and have been taking zopiclone and temazepam on and off - so it may be the lack of sleep. I'm fairly sure I'm not psychotic. Docs don't seem too interested. Has anyone else experienced ringing/music on citalopram? It's nonstop...

Yorkman
12-09-11, 22:33
I haven't experienced this. You really wanna try and sleep. I know it's easier said than done. I was the same, surviving on a few hours sleep per week.
Try taking citalopram at night, I found when I had zopiclone I needed 2 to help me sleep.
( I now take nytol every few nights, as the doc won't give me zopiclone anymore, I only got 14 in the first place )

InsomniaGirl
13-09-11, 16:13
I definitely wanna try and sleep :) They did put me on the citalopram at night, though it is still within the first few weeks and I know it can make things like insomnia worse at first. The main thing is my house isn't quiet, but I can't afford a decent place - unfortuately without sleep it's hard to get a decent job! Good old catch 22 situation. How have you found the citalopram over time?

PanchoGoz
13-09-11, 18:13
Get some lavander insense and ear plugs, little candles, make you area nice to sleep in if you can. Sleep. is. gooood.
And you really need it. Blame the sounds on the sleep problem for now and sort that out to see if it helps.

Anxious_gal
13-09-11, 20:27
Hmm I get the ringing naturally, always had it.
But some times it can sound like music, wind, ringing etc.. it is tinnitus.
do you think yours is tinnitus or are you hearing actual music?
If it started when you started the meds it could be that.
I know my ringing and whooshing noises can change and sound different if i'm around certain noises like the hum of the fridge or bell noises.

Yorkman
13-09-11, 20:58
I was gonna also suggest earplugs! I use them when I've been working nights.
I found I'm sleeping better now, it probably took say 6 weeks untill my sleep settled.

InsomniaGirl
13-09-11, 21:49
Thanks for the replies everyone. I use earplugs, eyemasks, everything, sometimes I even use earplugs with headphones over that playing some weird delta wave music, the insomnia is a massive problem. Thing is it's more the vibrations in my house than the sound, if I don't sleep soon I'm gunna lose it I think. It seems to me more likely that the drugs would cause these weird noises than lack of sleep, but the doctors didn't seem very interested :/

hyg
14-09-11, 10:31
Hi.
IVE had problems with ears since starting meds-the first week was bad but Im still getting it on waking sometimes, I dont get music like you but a feeling like theres a butterfly in my ear !! I also get a rushing pulsing sensation like my heads full of pressure-I told my doc at last review -didnt seem concerned. I hate it though as soon as I wake Im waiting for it to happen.It definately started after going on cit. Im in week 6 now and its tailing off a bit so hopefully yours will too. I think were experiencing neurological side effects. Hang on in there. x

InsomniaGirl
15-09-11, 10:41
I've had a bit of sleep and feel a bit better, but it does seem to come on again after I take the pills; will see what happens this morning. Think I know what you mean about the feeling of pressure. Weird. Doctors are rubbish!

cathycrumble
15-09-11, 11:05
Hi.
IVE had problems with ears since starting meds-the first week was bad but Im still getting it on waking sometimes, I dont get music like you but a feeling like theres a butterfly in my ear !! I also get a rushing pulsing sensation like my heads full of pressure-I told my doc at last review -didnt seem concerned. I hate it though as soon as I wake Im waiting for it to happen.It definately started after going on cit. Im in week 6 now and its tailing off a bit so hopefully yours will too. I think were experiencing neurological side effects. Hang on in there. x
What you say hyg is the same things i get ie head pressure, and like a wind feeling in my right ear. I thought is was coming from my neck as since my whiplash I suffer with terrible neck pain. I have very bad joint pain especially in my right elbow. And the jaw clenching is ruining my teeth. I have decided to reduce to 30mg so I have taken 30mg today and I do that next thursday then on the 3rd week I reduce to 30mg for 2 days that week, which will be monday and friday . I keep on my 40mg all other days and I jst reduce as I go on then I will stay on 30mg for a while then start reducing to 20mg. I will see how I go on. I have an interview tomorrow so that will help me keep my mind active finger's crossed I get the job. lol

Cathy xx:yesyes:

InsomniaGirl
15-09-11, 19:44
The ear stuff is weird :/ did you get any noises Cathy? Good luck with the interview

InsomniaGirl
21-09-11, 22:16
Just for the record, these seem to have gone away now :/

Vinitharya
28-09-11, 23:54
Just for the record, these seem to have gone away now :/

So did mine :D I used to hear chattery voices when I was going to sleep. They'd shout my name and everything. I kind of guessed it was Citalopram doing it so I wasn't worried. It was a bit disconcerting though. Like going to bed with an entire rugby team. Certainly wouldn't get much sleep then :whistles:

All gone now.

Rue52
29-09-11, 01:41
Hi. Citalopram can cause tinnitus, ringing,buzzing noises,high pitched sound. It is NOT
an auditory hallucination. Are you able to describe the music in anymore detail? Severe
sleep deprivation leads to episodes of micro sleep,we do not even realize that we have been asleep for a few seconds,but can still dream,we can dream about music. Does any of that help at all. As far as I know auditory hallucinations involve voices. Good luck
Rue52

InsomniaGirl
06-02-12, 19:28
Hey, this went away in the end. I think it was the lack of sleep to be honest. I would encourage anyone in a similar situation to stick with the citalopram for a few weeks. There weren't any voices but it was more than a tinitus thing, like loud, repetitive creepy music, organs and panpipies, was really disturbing and I couldn't actually hear real sounds over it very well. Dunno if you would call it a hallucination or not, but the docs denied any knowledge of citalopram causes auditory disturbance, while I know sleep deprivation can do ****ed up things to your senses

PanchoGoz
06-02-12, 19:54
Auditory hallucinations do not just involve voices, for Rue's information.
You often hear things like that on the edge of sleep - so it makes sense that the more tired you are, the nearer to sleep you are. At least you found a reason to this problem :)