PDA

View Full Version : how harmful is passive smoking

Em.ma
12-09-11, 21:05
my mum smokes in the house even though i ask nicely if she must smoke can she go outside. no she said 'its my house' she has chrnic asthma and is sitting here choking on flem but she 'needs' a fag she says. i tried to explain she was additced she said 'no its a need' she stopped when she was pregnant n for 7 years after- it upsets me.

Rachel W
13-09-11, 02:05
To be straight-forward and honest; yes, passive smoking can be harmful.
I hate smoking and am always annoyed when I have to be in the way of a breath full of someone else's habit. This is why I actually think smoking should be banned in all public places, and if someone is smoking in a car then they need to have their window rolled up so that I don't have to smell it when I am stuck behind them in traffic, especially as many insist on holding it outside the window (you think they would want to inhale as much of the passive smoke too to get as much value out of one as they are so expensive).

If someone wants to smoke it is their issue, but they should NOT expect someone else to have to deal with it.

As it is your Mum's house however I don't know what you can do about it except leave the room and stay out for quite a while to reduce your exposure. If you and your Mum have a good relationship otherwise then maybe you can talk to her more about your concerns, or if she sees you leave the room every time then maybe she will realise how much it is bothering you. Also, try to talk about how concerned you are about her health, it sounds pretty bad (although seeing someone smoking with an oxygen tank always gets me a little more worried). Make it sound more like you are thinking of her and not yourself.

In terms of addiction; nicotene is THE most addictive drug in the world, yet it is legal.
Alcohol is the only non-prescription drug where you may die from the withdrawal symptoms and yet it is legal (I admit that I occasionally partake in the latter so I am not on a rant about that).

It is this addiction that is not allowing her to see what the problem is.

I hope it all works out fine.

Take care.

Em.ma
13-09-11, 15:19
"If someone wants to smoke it is their issue, but they should NOT expect someone else to have to deal with it."
100 per cent agree with you there.
I exit the room if she starts lol. :)

Em.ma
13-09-11, 17:02
im very worried mum has cancer.

cathycrumble
13-09-11, 17:48
very!

Cathy xx

Gemma T
13-09-11, 19:03
I recently gave up smoking and I have to agree with you both.

Even as a smoker I hated the smell of smoke. Someone not cracking open a window has always done me in. If I couldnt breath and I smoked god knows how anyone else felt.

Unfortunately there are considerate and inconsiderate smokers. Just like there are considerate non smokers and inconsiderate non smokers. The world we live in I guess x x x

Rachel W
16-09-11, 03:02
Gemma, agreed. There are inconsiderate people in all walks of life.

Em.ma
16-09-11, 20:06
agree with both of u x

mikewales
16-09-11, 20:18
Leaving the room is the best thing to do, it is her house after all, so if she wants to smoke then you can't really do much, but you don't have to expose yourself to it