PDA

View Full Version : I am terrified of Oral Cancer

hyppiegirl
13-09-11, 14:56
I smoke and while I have looked through my mouth and of course think I have found lumps here and there and reddish and white patches. I have not been to a dentist in 10 years becasue I am scared they will tell me I have cancer. What are my chances of having it I am 41 but know alot of people who smoke and are older than me that go to the dentist and no cancer. I finally have the money to get all of my teeth fixed but just cannot make myself walk in there.

Gemma T
13-09-11, 19:08
I too think I have oral cancer. Scared myself so much I gave up smoking.

I advise a trip to the dentist. Best way to rule anything out. I really wouldnt worry though. Sank like 2 in every 100 cancers are oral. Normally over 60's. Cigarette smokers can get it but its primarily tobacco chewers and pipe smokers. Has sank to do with the continuous contact.

Love Gem x x x

mel78
13-09-11, 21:39
Hi Hippiegirl. The best thing you dan do first is to give up smoking. I know that's not easy - I've been there. As you get older, those worries will only get worse for you and it will be harder to rationalise away your fears if you still smoke.

The next thing you should is to go to your dentist. You're still young - there is unlikely to be anything wrong at all. I was worried about having mouth cancer earlier this year - as far as I recall its quite rare in people under 55, and mostly only affects people in their 60/70s and older. If you go to the dentist for the first time in a decade, you won't believe how white and clean your teeth turn out - it will amaze you.

hyppiegirl
14-09-11, 01:58
ok so it is not a common thing??? Yes the fact that I smoke scares me to death and I try to quit then anxiety starts up viscious cycle no excuse though, I have canceled my appointment 2x and then the I am such a poor excuse for a human being starts becasue I cannot make myself go to the dentist's office because I just know they are going to take xrays look at my mouth and say you have cancer.

mel78
14-09-11, 02:03
Hippiegirl, they are going to xray your mouth and then say "you need to come to the dentist more often." They will also say "we need to clean these teeth." They may even say make some concerned noises as they look at your x-rays before telling you that you need a filling or some other oral work. They won't be telling you have mouth cancer - its definitely not common at your age, especially if you have... eh.. NO SYMPTOMS :-)

Go to the dentist - you will not regret it and will feel great afterwards.

hyppiegirl
14-09-11, 02:09
Well they are going to make some money off of me for sure, I need some work done which is fine they can do whatever needs to be done it is that 1st appointment omg it is going to require 2 xnaxs to get in the door an 5 more to keep me there. Just the thought has me in cold sweats

hyppiegirl
14-09-11, 19:16
I did it, I went I panicked but sat in the chair and tears rolled down my face poor dentist they did a complete oral cancer screening on me from panaramic xrays to full mouth exam no cancer, need some teeth fixed but that is ok I can do that lol. yayayayayay ty for all your support

Missislost
14-09-11, 21:07
Hi hyppie girl I'm Leanne I have weird pains under my Tongue and the right side of my head near my neck and ear I have wisdom teeth coming I'n and think it could be the reason.

It eats me up I'm sure I'm dying but I made my appointment today at 5 and pulled up outside the dentist and I was sick and panicking so much I sobbed shakes even wanted to go to a and e because I could not focus and relax I know how u feel I really can't do it either :( xxxx hugs

hyppiegirl
14-09-11, 23:07
Did you go in sweetie, once I made through the door and they had me back there I decided to stay and it turned out ok and it is ok to cry you are human and it does sound like wisdom teeth just coming through. You can do it if you could of seen me sobbing in the waiting room but they were kind. Do it honey

pablo22
15-09-11, 23:18
im about to burst into tears!!, i have hpv, i know cause i have little bumps in my lip, i also have some bigger one on the floor of my mouth, SOMEBODY HELP :(

Worried_Male
16-09-11, 00:31
im about to burst into tears!!, i have hpv, i know cause i have little bumps in my lip, i also have some bigger one on the floor of my mouth, SOMEBODY HELP :(

Don't panic dude.

Read this post it might be what you are experiencing.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20763

pablo22
16-09-11, 00:58
hey thanks for de link, but they aint whats described der :S, like lumps i can bit they re hard and can run them through my teeth, painless

pablo22
16-09-11, 02:25
hey thanks for de link, but they aint whats described der :S, like lumps i can bit they re hard and can run them through my teeth, painless