PDA

View Full Version : Depression and Anxiety

Cherished502
13-09-11, 16:11
Hi,

I'm new to the forum.

Last October I had a cardiac arrest. At the time I was on 5mg Olanzipine 40mg Citalopram. As the hospital could find no reason for my cardiac arrest(even after two weeks hospital stay) they came to the conclusion that it must have been an effect of the olanzapine. Which they then stopped. Since coming out of hospital after having a reveal device fitted my medication has now been changed to 20mg escitalopram and 4mg diazipam three times a day. I forgot to mention that I am also taking 15mg zopiclone. After having a major depressive episode last week where I was suicidal, (I have almost succeeded on a number of occasions, I wish I had suceeded because my life is a living hell at the moment.) I contacted my pshyciatrist and to say they are pulling thier feet would be an understatement. They are looking at prescibing me 50 Mg amisulpride. But after having an ECG done, apparently the T_Q intervals do not look suitable for this medication. I am now at a loss as I am getting more and more depressed. Any advice from anyone would be great.

Thanks in advance

diane07
13-09-11, 16:14
Hi Cherished502

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Bruno58
13-09-11, 20:29
I was in the same situation 12 years ago, clinical depression, I felt the same as you describe just different reasons leading up to why I found myself feeling like this, I saw a new doctor who prescribed Pro-Zac + Diazapam + I was referred to the local mental health team, this was arranged quickly and although this was very hard to accept...(I was unable to function at all...I was really bad) I did force myself to go out and talk to someone about my problems.

I also attended a few group sessions which didn't help much but did get me out from behind the closed curtains so I think in a way did help me to face going out and make some progress.

Its still not all rosy now but that's due to long standing physical problems I have, I'm fairly stable and not taking any med's at the moment,, I know its tough but you can get through this...I have up to now... but you must accept the help of the doctor's and others and trust their judgment with the med's.

Take care.

J.

Cherished502
14-09-11, 09:02
Thank you for your reply. I have agreed to attend a group session but am still waiting for this to be arranged.

Bruno58
14-09-11, 13:09
I had to wait some time for the group although I can't remember how long it was now, it will be a regular session on a certain date so you will probably be invited to the next available one.

Don't hesitate to ask me anything about how I found the group or other things which relate to this difficult time, I'm very open and don't mind at all.

How are you feeling now?

J.

Cherished502
14-09-11, 15:18
It's nice to find someone who is interested. My partner not having suffered from depression is sympathatic but doesn't really understand what I am going through. As I said before I was coping when I was on Olanzapine. Saying that I am using up what I have left from when they stopped me from taking them as this is the only way I can cope at the moment. So hopefully they will sort my meds out soon.
C.

Bruno58
14-09-11, 18:03
In my experience your partner, family and friends are not able to offer much help with this, far better to find someone detached from you who can see things the others can't.

I'm sure there will be a different drug to help you here, just need to see the doc's and I'm sure they will help.

Keep writing and asking questions if you can...I will help...

I'm usually offline 4-6 pm, I have to do the cooking around here as my wife is unable to.

J.

Cherished502
15-09-11, 11:52
Hi,

I'm seeing my own doctor on Monday, so hopefully he will be able to push things forward a bit faster.

Thanks

C

Bruno58
15-09-11, 17:18
OK that's good, not long to wait, try to think what you are going to talk about, write things down if you think you might forget, have the doc write down for you what he is doing too, I always forget some of what is said, maybe don't mention the Olonzapine unless they already know.

J.

femmym
15-09-11, 17:51
Hi Cherished502, welcome NMP hope you get the help and answers you are looking for sorry to hear about the cardiac arrest .
femmym

Cherished502
16-09-11, 12:48
My partner has been on the phone to my pshyciatrist and bend their ears about the length of time it is taking to sort out my medication. It currently stands at 2 weeks since I made an out of hours call to the unit. This in turn has actually lead to me being given an appointment with a CPN this afternoon. My pshyc says he should hear today from the local hospital about whether or not he can prescribe me the new meds. I will update with any news. So much for my stress and anxiety levels. :shrug:

Bruno58
16-09-11, 13:06
I'm pleased your partner is supporting you and taking action, this is what is needed with the Medical profession at times.

I have done similar for my wife when she has been in difficult circustances.

Try to let us know how you get on, good luck and hang on in there...:)

J.

Cherished502
19-09-11, 16:55
I saw a CPN on Friday, To say we got off on the wrong foot would be an under-statement. Are you allowed to ask to see someone different or have you got to keep the one assigned to you. They still haven't sorted out my new drugs. I've got an appointment tonight with my own GP, then the CPN And physciatrist on Friday.
I feel a lot better since I've started taking the Olanzapine(although I am not supposed to be taking it) not sure what is going to happen when they do get round to changing my drugs.
Anxiously waiting
C x

Bruno58
19-09-11, 17:57
I saw a CPN on Friday, To say we got off on the wrong foot would be an under-statement. Are you allowed to ask to see someone different or have you got to keep the one assigned to you. They still haven't sorted out my new drugs. I've got an appointment tonight with my own GP, then the CPN And physciatrist on Friday.
I feel a lot better since I've started taking the Olanzapine(although I am not supposed to be taking it) not sure what is going to happen when they do get round to changing my drugs.
Anxiously waiting
C x

OK, I know exactly what you mean about off on the wrong foot, it happens sometimes, ask to see someone else for next time...did you see a male or female?, I have always found I prefer seeing a female doctor or CPN, I seem to have a better result every time, the problem can be there being one available when you need but don't feel you have to carry on with the same one, same with the doctor, if I don't like what they have said or done I will see someone else, try to follow my example if you can.

How many of your Olanzapine have you left?, as you feel better taking them I would press (your partner may help here) to be prescribed some more until they make their minds up and not just leave you to wait longer unless they can come to some kind of decision...

I'll be here most of tonight so I'll watch for any more posts...:flowers:

J.