PDA

View Full Version : Please Read: Tightness in Oesophagus / Breathing

springblossom
13-09-11, 22:00
Dear All,

My oesophagus feels like it is clenching all the time (spasming?) and I can feel the tension all the way up to the back of my throat which is also clenching. This happens every day.

More recently it feels as though my stomach is pushing up on my lungs and making it really hard to complete a full, relaxed breath. I have no feeling of acid, reflux or pain, just this feeling of suffocating overcrowding in my stomach/diaphragm area.

Basically I am really worried that I have some form of strangulation or hernia that could be serious. I have been to my GP, but he approached it from the breathing end and suggested relaxation.

Can I ask if anxiety can cause spasm of the oesophagus/stomach and if this can impact upon breathing?

I'm really worried and would appreciate any advice.

Thank you all.

SB

Queen87
13-09-11, 22:20
I also experience this everyday. I experience panick attacks real bad and I am assuming these feelings is coming from my anxiety. I said if it don't stop I will go to the doctor and make sure that it is not anything else but its to the point that I can't eat or drink without choking and the tightness I can't even stand up to long without out the tightness and this is starting to effect me everyday

springblossom
13-09-11, 22:26
Hi Queen87

Thank you for replying. Is the tightness you experience in your stomach/throat or chest?

springblossom
15-09-11, 16:36
Any other helpers?

selphie
15-09-11, 18:18
ive also had this but i find it really hard to explain where it is. mine is usually tightness that comes just under both my ribs which feels like the top of my stomach and its a weird feeling it aint like when u been running or exercising its like an uncomftable heavy feeling like u got something over your head is that anything like u?:huh:

springblossom
20-09-11, 21:23
No, mine is more connected to eating. I wonder if it's a hernia?

Dazfoxy530
20-09-11, 22:17
HI, I get the tight throat feeling, sometimes like something is pressing on my throat, or feels like the muscles are tight, also glands can feel tight. And tense under the chin. It's all anxiety so my cbt theropist tells me. I find relaxation methods help. I feel for you, its horrible, but try to tell yourself its just anxiety its harmless. I know its difficult, I haven't mastered ill myself yet!

springblossom
21-09-11, 19:50
Thankyou dazfoxy

honeyp1e
18-11-12, 22:09
i get alll that but it was put down to acid reflux right now i have the tight squeezing feeling just below ribs in center but sometimes i can get it just above belly button right up into my throat & at times i cant eat as it feels so bad i no i need to go for an endoscopy but to scared to have one but defo gonna go my docs and book in for one asap

Anxious_gal
19-11-12, 01:17
What tests have you had done?
So far I've only had a tyroid test.
The tight throat, pressure/tight chest has gotten worse. .
I'm convinced there's a cause, even if its just tension.
But id feel better knowing why it happens : (
Scary as hell, it's always there but some days are worse than othets