PDA

View Full Version : Argh HIV anxiety, need reassurance

aria2
14-09-11, 11:49
UPDATE posted later in this thread 28.08.13

4 years ago I was sexually attacked. 2 months later I had a full set of STD tests done. I asked to be notified of my results by letter and I was told that if I didn't hear back from them within 2 weeks I was fine.
I didn't hear back, and thought nothing more of it. A couple of months later I started getting phone calls once a day for a week or so from a number from the same city as me. I couldn't answer because I was abroad, and when I got back I googled the number - results came up with nothing so I forgot all about it.

3 years later and for some reason it started playing on my mind that perhaps my results HAD been positive and the results letter had gone astray, and that those phone calls were them trying to contact me. I have tried to rationalise this by thinking that if I REALLY did have HIV and they couldn't contact me, they would have contacted my GP surely?

I have been having health issues for the last 4 years - fatigue, nausea, sore throats. My GP has put these down to anxiety issues, or ME/CFS, but now I'm terrified I have HIV.

I'm going back to the STD clinic this week to confirm that my results were negative/get a new set of tests. But I am terrified because I am convinced I'll be HIV positive.

london
14-09-11, 12:03
in 4 years you would know if yoiu had hiv dont worry your fine
as for the number that maybe one of the firms selling you some thing we all get them
put the worry out your mind
god bless

Worried_Male
14-09-11, 13:04
4 years ago I was sexually attacked. 2 months later I had a full set of STD tests done. I asked to be notified of my results by letter and I was told that if I didn't hear back from them within 2 weeks I was fine.
I didn't hear back, and thought nothing more of it. A couple of months later I started getting phone calls once a day for a week or so from a number from the same city as me. I couldn't answer because I was abroad, and when I got back I googled the number - results came up with nothing so I forgot all about it.

3 years later and for some reason it started playing on my mind that perhaps my results HAD been positive and the results letter had gone astray, and that those phone calls were them trying to contact me. I have tried to rationalise this by thinking that if I REALLY did have HIV and they couldn't contact me, they would have contacted my GP surely?

I have been having health issues for the last 4 years - fatigue, nausea, sore throats. My GP has put these down to anxiety issues, or ME/CFS, but now I'm terrified I have HIV.

I'm going back to the STD clinic this week to confirm that my results were negative/get a new set of tests. But I am terrified because I am convinced I'll be HIV positive.

If you had a positive result and they couldn't get in contact with you they would have got in contact with your gp.

zygfried
14-09-11, 18:44
Been there, twice - I've spent probably two years of my life thinking I'd contracted hiv, when I hadn't. It's an awful frightening obsession that takes over your life. Your gp is probably right about the symptoms - I'm really prone to minor viral infections too because I'm so anxious/depressed all the time. It really knocks your immune system. It's awful but it does sound like major health anxiety and it's extremely unlikely indeed that it's anything worse. I'd go for the tests and then try and address how anxious you're feeling about it if getting a negative result doesn't help, maybe ask your GP for a referral to counselling, Psychology? It's incredibly difficult but do try to be reassured by negative testing. Think it's in the nature of health anxiety never to be convinced but that's the anxiety talking - it doesn't mean that you have an underlying illness. Good luck with it.

Worried_Male
14-09-11, 18:59
Been there, twice - I've spent probably two years of my life thinking I'd contracted hiv, when I hadn't. It's an awful frightening obsession that takes over your life. Your gp is probably right about the symptoms - I'm really prone to minor viral infections too because I'm so anxious/depressed all the time. It really knocks your immune system. It's awful but it does sound like major health anxiety and it's extremely unlikely indeed that it's anything worse. I'd go for the tests and then try and address how anxious you're feeling about it if getting a negative result doesn't help, maybe ask your GP for a referral to counselling, Psychology? It's incredibly difficult but do try to be reassured by negative testing. Think it's in the nature of health anxiety never to be convinced but that's the anxiety talking - it doesn't mean that you have an underlying illness. Good luck with it.

Yep HIV is my main health concern. This last year has been like torture, completely taken over my life. I got a full blood test about a year ago and everything come back ok but of course it hasn't convinced me.

Liliana83
14-09-11, 20:29
If you had a positive result and they couldn't get in contact with you they would have got in contact with your gp.

I agree! I'm sure you're fine! Try to relax..

That or they would find ANY way to contact you...considering how serious of a situation it could be.

aria2
14-09-11, 21:49
Thank you for your responses, I feel a lot better :)

I think I'll be fine if I get another test and get a definite negative.

Yeah, zygfried, this whole thing has motivated me to get myself sorted with some serious counselling!

aria2
28-08-13, 20:39
Thought I'd post an UPDATE:

I did eventually go back to the clinic and my results were negative, I was all happy and reassured.

However, a few days ago, I read that a test isn't reliable until at least 3 months after exposure. This sent me in to a massive panic, since I had the test only 2 months after. Today I plucked up courage to go back to the clinic where the nurse reassured me that the test I had would have been reasonably accurate at 6 weeks, so I was most likely fine. Although she thought my chances of having anything were negligible, I had another test anyway to finally put my mind at rest.

I pick up my results tomorrow evening and I am TERRIFIED.

nippy70
04-09-13, 19:00
Well what's the results x yes u r negative xx