PDA

View Full Version : citalopram and sex drive

InsomniaGirl
14-09-11, 13:55
Does it ever come back after the initial side effects start to wear off? Or do you just need to wait until you're off the drugs?

ttom
14-09-11, 19:03
Does this only affect girls or something?
I haven't noticed a change in mine. Been 10mg for over a month

InsomniaGirl
15-09-11, 10:38
I dunno, from what I've heard and read SSRIs generally affect the sex drive for everyone, but then so can depression/lack of sleep/ various connected factors. Not like it's my priority right now but everyone wants a normal life. Glad to hear your libido is OK at least!

ttom
15-09-11, 12:23
What dosage are you taking?

Edit also I have started doing more exercise. I have read that it can help increase libido while on SSRIs, so it could be that.

InsomniaGirl
15-09-11, 19:47
only 20mg atm. I usually go gym, but been too sleep deprived. Oh well!

UrbanMark
16-09-11, 21:49
My Sex Drive is fecked.
I used to have a very high sex drive and now it's hardly even there.
Takes me to get turned-on now.
My Girlfriend's been great, but I'm getting fed-up of not being able to `be myself'.

Yorkman
16-09-11, 21:51
Mines not been affected, I'm on 40mg.
Now sex drive and sex life's a different story lol.

PotNoddle
22-09-11, 09:19
It affects both Male / Female and to be honest I think it is more to do with your Mental State as opposed to the Meds ....

It affected me on 10 & 20 in the beginning, but then who's interested in Sex when you think you are dieing ....

The Most Important Sex Organ in the Body is the Brain, if your Brain is not right then it's bound to affect your Sex Drive ...

Everyone blames the Meds for Sex Drive Issues / Suicide / etc ...

Re: Suicide - your Mind is already in a Very Suggestible State and you happen to be on Meds ... Therefore the Rate of Suicide when on SSRI's is going to be Higher because these are the People that need them ... They have to put the Warnings on there for Legal Reasons ...

When people like us read the Warnings we Automatically think we're going to get them ALL ..... Half the Battle would be to remove the Warnings ...

Pot Noodle.

cathycrumble
22-09-11, 14:13
Again Potnoodle you always make sense

Cathy xx

VickiS
22-09-11, 18:18
My sex drive has been crap for ages, long before cit..... I agree when you're anxious all the time the last thing on your mind is sex lol, hopefully it will improve as the meds start working

cathycrumble
22-09-11, 18:36
Same here

Cathy x

PotNoddle
24-09-11, 14:06
It's definitely a mental state thing NOT the meds ... I had a Fantastic Day yesterday in the Sun, totally forgot that I was even Anxious ... that Evening - it's Back to Normal ... if not better, because it is now Special ... Don't Panic (no punn intended) it does get better ... Just try to relax and don;t do it if u don;t want to ... simple as that really ... no point in forcing it ....
Pot Noodle.

anon4459
25-09-11, 19:44
I disagree! SSRIs have been proven to affect the sex drive of both males and females. Then can affect the male's ability to sustain an erection, the female's ability to produce lubrication and can delay or completely prevent orgasm.

InsomniaGirl... I had no sex drive and was very "dry" the first time I was on Citalopram (for over 6months) It took months and months for things to go back to normal but they did. Now, over half a year later I've started on Cit again 3 weeks ago and my (normally high even when depressed) sex drive has disappeared and sex has been painful and difficult as I just can't get aroused. It's definitely the meds and not me! It isn't as bad as last time but this time I'm only on 20mg and last time I was up to 60mg.

xx

Pongowaring
25-09-11, 22:49
When I read about the problems people have with sex drive on meds, I always find myself thinking "wow, that's the smallest of worries".

I'd happily go without ever having sex again if I could lose the anxiety.

that's probably a lie, actually

Fabmcfc
27-09-11, 11:35
I normally had a really hight sex drive I've been on 10mg for a week now and in that small amount of time my sex drive has dropped to none existent, I haven't been able to ejaculate since, have had no problem with getting a erection but just can't finish off, is this normal ?

Vinitharya
28-09-11, 21:13
I normally had a really hight sex drive I've been on 10mg for a week now and in that small amount of time my sex drive has dropped to none existent, I haven't been able to ejaculate since, have had no problem with getting a erection but just can't finish off, is this normal ?

Yes. It's well documented. Try some maca root capsules. They've been trialled with Citalopram specifically. Believe me, you'll "finish off" by blowing your double glazing out of the frame!

I'm on 40mg of Citalopram and always have maca root if I know I'll be "getting jiggy". :blush:

cathycrumble
28-09-11, 21:19
I presume they are for men only? lol

Vinitharya
28-09-11, 21:24

No, there is a woman's version! I'm not quite sure what bits it works on (I'm a gay bloke and ladygardens are a bit of a mystery to me) but there's definitely a woman's version. Let me see if I can find you a link.

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

Sent you a PM with the link in :yesyes:

cathycrumble
28-09-11, 23:26
Aww thanks got it will see if they are ok to take with other meds. I to am on 40mg of cit but I do take other meds xx

Cathy xx

Vinitharya
28-09-11, 23:49
Aww thanks got it will see if they are ok to take with other meds. I to am on 40mg of cit but I do take other meds xx

Cathy xx

They are a bit stimulating. Half the dose on the label is good enough for me. Show your doc and ask him/her. I showed mine and he said "Do they work? I've never heard of them" so I said "Damn right, I'm like a dog with two tails*" and he said he'd get some himself :D

*I may have said a different word than this, a rude word

cathycrumble
29-09-11, 00:32
lol :ohmy::)

Cathy xx

Fabmcfc
29-09-11, 13:14
Yes. It's well documented. Try some maca root capsules. They've been trialled with Citalopram specifically. Believe me, you'll "finish off" by blowing your double glazing out of the frame!

I'm on 40mg of Citalopram and always have maca root if I know I'll be "getting jiggy". :blush:

Hi thank you for your message I'll have a look at them now :D x