PDA

View Full Version : Paroxetine is not evil

piscesb
16-09-11, 06:23
Hi everyone,
I am new to this site and believe that just because a med is not suitable for one does not mean you should scare others with your experience. If asked for advice please try to keep it real, it really does overwhelm us sufferers who are trying to get well. I have suffered with Panic disorder, agoraphobia and related depression for 20 years, back then I thought my life was over. I resisted meds for years due to my phobic nature. I was given 3 different SSRIs prior to stabilising on Paroxetine (15 years ago), I recently switched to Citalopram because I thought the paroxetine had stopped working. I have had a difficult month on the Citalopram and am now switching back to Paroxetine which I am trusting will help me once again. Obviously citalopram is not for me, I too am scared of the side effects of ANY medication even vitamins. I have started back on 10mg paroxetine today and will keep you posted.
I did previously put on weight but was also drinking large amounts of alcohol (I gave up 4 years ago), I lost all but the last 5kgs and have since gone through menopause so who knows. I would love to be back to my perfect weight 50kg but I would rather feel happy and have a life. We all have choices no matter what. Keep smiling and have faith no matter what, it really does get better.
Kind regards:)

Magic
16-09-11, 10:10
Good post.
I agree with everything you say
I hope lots will read. xx

nicola1980
16-09-11, 16:21
fantastic post, I must admit ive had to stop looking at what others have said about the side effects of citalopram which im now on day 4 of cause it absoutley scared the living daylights out of me and i was imagining alsorts!! good luck on starting back on paroxetine,
Nicola x

piscesb
17-10-11, 12:07
Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well. It is now four weeks back on paroxetine and after a tough few weeks I am finally feeling great. I am back at work, able to stay home alone and have started driving again!!!! As well as the meds I have been doing relaxation and meditation with a cd every night when going to bed, it really does help, therapy weekly, exercise 3 times a week and not getting too stressed have all helped. One of the most important things I have learned is to do something you enjoy, a movie, gardening, visiting friends, reading a book, shopping, music. I am so thankful to be feeling better, I still have a way to go and have accepted I will always need to be aware of stress and anxiety and probably have to take meds. One day I hope to be able to drive alone further than 10 mins from home. Please believe it does get better, we just have to work at it.:hugs:

julieannboo
29-11-11, 16:29
please go to paxilprogress.org

haz
29-11-11, 23:39
Hi everyone,
I am new to this site and believe that just because a med is not suitable for one does not mean you should scare others with your experience. If asked for advice please try to keep it real, it really does overwhelm us sufferers who are trying to get well. I have suffered with Panic disorder, agoraphobia and related depression for 20 years, back then I thought my life was over. I resisted meds for years due to my phobic nature. I was given 3 different SSRIs prior to stabilising on Paroxetine (15 years ago), I recently switched to Citalopram because I thought the paroxetine had stopped working. I have had a difficult month on the Citalopram and am now switching back to Paroxetine which I am trusting will help me once again. Obviously citalopram is not for me, I too am scared of the side effects of ANY medication even vitamins. I have started back on 10mg paroxetine today and will keep you posted.
I did previously put on weight but was also drinking large amounts of alcohol (I gave up 4 years ago), I lost all but the last 5kgs and have since gone through menopause so who knows. I would love to be back to my perfect weight 50kg but I would rather feel happy and have a life. We all have choices no matter what. Keep smiling and have faith no matter what, it really does get better.
Kind regards:)

Well said! I couldn't agree more. I was on Paroxetine for 14 years and it gave me my life back and I didn't suffer horrendous side effects after stopping it either. x

I don't understand people who scare others who are starting on new meds with their horror stories, it's not helpful!!

People react differently to different meds.

Gero67
12-12-11, 15:44
That's great that you are feeling better and can function again, I myself have had phobias and anxieties so can understand when you say you are worried even about taking vitamins or any supplement, I've been on Seroxat for 17yrs and feelgreat and can function when I am on it, BUT different to what the other poster said for meI cannot stop taking it.

Juliannboo - Paxilprogress doen't have much time for people who cannot come off the drug and kind of sweep you under the carpet, you are not useful to their message which is a narrow minded one, I can never check my posts on that site never read any PM, my account mysteriously doesn't work anymore. So tell me about Paxilprogress NOW!! I thought we were all in the same boat, people with depression or anxiety or mental problems just trying to get better but what happens if you take mega doses of Magnesium whilst tapering off seroxat, change your diet to a brain healthy one, exercise, meditate, pray,take herbs such as kava kava, L-Theonine, GABA, Glycine, L-Glutamine, Valerian root to calm you down and then once your off the blessed drug start taking st Johns wort or 5HTP, get more light into those eyes - if at the end IT DOESN'T WORK then what???

Some moderators have a signiture saying 'everybody poops' well that hasn't been my case after 17yrs and of course I do feel sad for anyone that does and there has to be a contingency plan for that too, if that should happen.

At least on this website you are allowed to say hey I may need to take it for the rest of my life even though I don't want to and have tried everything else to come off, what pisses me off is that some may go to websites like Paxilprogress and if they don't 'fit the mold' or go along with what most of the moderators and people say then you will left out and feelings of guilt and failure may rise up in a person who is already anxious or sad/depressed, some nice women PM'd me on that site and said don't worry some people just can't come off, they wouldn't say it on the board as they would have been torn apart. THere are many nice people on Paxilprogress but some are very narrow minded and hell bent on stopping at any cost anybody who can't and has a different point of view, one poster or several of them were so agressive with me (and these were ones who had stopped seroxat a year or two earlier) and I thought wow I'd rather be on seroxat than be so nasty and oviously these people have a certain amount of anxiety and anger in them, but HEY they came off their seroxat and are drug free that's the MOST important thing right?

NO in my opinion.

julieannboo
14-12-11, 11:54
Juliannboo - Paxilprogress doen't have much time for people who cannot come off the drug and kind of sweep you under the carpet, you are not useful to their message which is a narrow minded one, I can never check my posts on that site never read any PM, my account mysteriously doesn't work anymore. So tell me about Paxilprogress NOW!! I thought we were all in the same boat, people with depression or anxiety or mental problems just trying to get better but what happens if you take mega doses of Magnesium whilst tapering off seroxat, change your diet to a brain healthy one, exercise, meditate, pray,take herbs such as kava kava, L-Theonine, GABA, Glycine, L-Glutamine, Valerian root to calm you down and then once your off the blessed drug start taking st Johns wort or 5HTP, get more light into those eyes - if at the end IT DOESN'T WORK then what???

Some moderators have a signiture saying 'everybody poops' well that hasn't been my case after 17yrs and of course I do feel sad for anyone that does and there has to be a contingency plan for that too, if that should happen.

At least on this website you are allowed to say hey I may need to take it for the rest of my life even though I don't want to and have tried everything else to come off, what pisses me off is that some may go to websites like Paxilprogress and if they don't 'fit the mold' or go along with what most of the moderators and people say then you will left out and feelings of guilt and failure may rise up in a person who is already anxious or sad/depressed, some nice women PM'd me on that site and said don't worry some people just can't come off, they wouldn't say it on the board as they would have been torn apart. THere are many nice people on Paxilprogress but some are very narrow minded and hell bent on stopping at any cost anybody who can't and has a different point of view, one poster or several of them were so agressive with me (and these were ones who had stopped seroxat a year or two earlier) and I thought wow I'd rather be on seroxat than be so nasty and oviously these people have a certain amount of anxiety and anger in them, but HEY they came off their seroxat and are drug free that's the MOST important thing right?

NO in my opinion.

i am finding that this site is helping me taper off slowly from seroxat.

i have been on it for 12 years and about two years ago the drug stopped working. i didn't realise it at the time but the drug did 'poop out' and i had bad health anixety and depression. when it 'poops out' you go through a kind of withdrawal even though you are still taking it. i would rather be anxious off off seroxat then anxious on it!

after going to paxil progress it has educated me alot. seroxat just 'masks' things - you get numb to real emotions and interacting with the real world.

i am reading about CBT and seeing a councillor.
i want to get off of this drug to see what kind of adult i will make.

there is no pill in the world that will cure mental health problems. the drug companies are making billions out of us.

i am also very angry that i wasn't told of the withdrawal symptoms at time and why i was kept on this drug for so long. a doc said to me recently that you are only meant to be on seroxat for a year, tops.

during my time on this drug i have slept way to much and have mainly been overweight the whole time - i was never like this pre-seroxat.

you are lucky that it still works for you - i hope that it doesn't 'poop out' on you like it has done for me.

best of luck. x