PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations - Been to GP...

Sammy J
16-09-11, 13:31
Hi

I've started having palpitations and am so worried I've been to see my GP this morning. He checked my blood pressure and listened to my heart and says all sounds fine but has arranged an ECG next week anyway.

I'm currently having a bad episode of acid reflux and have severe wind :blush: and the palps have been while I've been windy, the palps are followed by burping like the air is causing them?

I've been an anxiety sufferer for many years and a couple of years ago ended up in A&E several time before I was diagnosed with reflux/IBS, I was heart obsessed and my GP referred me to a cariologist to put my mind at rest (thats how bad I was mentally), all the tests, ECG's, 24hr monitor, physicals etc were fine and the cardiologist told me to go home, relax and live my life.

Now these palpitations are pushing me back to square one after a couple of years of improvement and being near enough back to normal.

I just don't know what to think :(

Ddcoo
16-09-11, 14:42
I am sorry that you are getting anxious and it is worrying when your heart is having palpitations, but I am sure you will have your mind put at rest next week.

When I am stressed I get what I call "wind around my heart" and then I get ectopic beats and the onlyl thing that relieves them is get the wind up, but it will go on for days and sometimes weeks on end. I have it so often now that I just try and ignore it but usually take some Windeeze tablets which helps.

Best of luck for next week.

maybeoneday
16-09-11, 15:11
when my reflux is bad i get them too hunny, there not nice but wont hurt you try to relax because anxiety will make them worse. xx

s11fyx
16-09-11, 18:22
are you taking anything for your refluex that might help calm it down i had it after having my baby but mine was more like bubbles comeing up my throat it was awful

sandy40
16-09-11, 18:33
can wind cause the palps/funny beats? can they be caused by a gastric problem/

Anxious_gal
16-09-11, 19:27
Hey both times my palps were bad my doctor sent me straight to the ER and I still got the clear bill of health.
I too have had all the tests, including too many thyroid blood tests.
I still think there has to be a reason for them :(
For me I think it's stress and anxiety but I can get them even when I am relaxed so makes no sense then.
I believe mine make my anxiety worse, I never had panic attacks really until the heart palpitation's started as they make me very very breathless .
It just seems so unfair, life sucks with anxiety never mind all the health issues that come with it!!
For me being in pain, tired, periods, stress all make mine worse but like I said I can get them for no reason at all.

Sammy J
16-09-11, 19:47
I usually take Ranitidine but GP gave me Omeprazole today, I've suffered with reflux for years to be honest and am under a gastric consultant at the hospital. I've been kind of problem free for about a year until now.

maybeoneday
16-09-11, 21:50
i think ranitidine is not as strong as omeprazole and i have read that sometimes the meds stop working, iat the moment im just taking gaviscon advance because the antacids give me side effects,i have just started weight watchers diet and that has helped too.

Meg37
16-09-11, 23:38
I am having the exact same thing and actually came on here searching for a bit of reassurance. We drove down to the South of France last week and through being scrunched up in the car etc I've pulled my tummy muscles (through tension!) and got really bad acid/wind which keeps giving me palpitations that feel like a skipped beat. I had blood tests and an ECG done about three years ago and all was normal, I just seem to get loads when I'm bloated. I've recently been woken up in the night with them which was awful, I could just feel a tiny squeeze and then made the mistake of touching my neck to feel them! I don't want to go to the drs again as I seem to have been a lot recently and to be honest, they aren't much help! Seeing your thread has really helped, it just throws me every time I get them even though nothing bad has ever happened from them other than feeling very sad I get them at all :( I hope you feel better soon x

Sammy J
18-09-11, 08:43
Thank you. I've still been having them over the last couple of days but only brief episodes (just had some in bed before I got up). My husband thinks it's anxiety (he was the one who sat in A&E with me many times a couple of years ago and took note of what was said whereas I was a gibbering wreck.

I am suffering with anxiety again after a long period of calmness but the palps are a new symptom with me. I hate being an anxiety sufferer :( x

xfilme
18-09-11, 08:55
acid reflux can irritate the vagus nerve that causes ectopic heartbeats. are you sure its not just that? x

Sammy J
18-09-11, 11:59
That's what I mentioned to GP and he said that is what happens. The ECG is just to confirm this... hopefully! x

xfilme
18-09-11, 13:22
then good on ya for doing your homework. had an ECG for the same problem. if nothing shows up, its just ectopics as any serious problem would always be present on the ECG. Let us know how you get on :) x

Sammy J
18-09-11, 22:38
I will indeed, having it done Tuesday morning.

Funnily enough I've done loads of ECG's this evening as I work in hospital and worked in A&E tonight. I do 100's of them but can't read them... at least I'll know if it's being done correctly on me :) x

Deepest Blue
18-09-11, 23:41
Hi Sammy,

I've got the exact same problems as you and been through 3 ECG's which have always checked out ok. I've suffered with heartburn and wind for years, I get this weird fluttery feelings in my chest which is sometimes accompanied with pain but I know now it's trapped wind. I also take Rantidine which helps a bit. What items to do though is when I get the tightness feeling in my chest I drink something fizzy to try and force the wind and it usually works x

Take Care x

Meg37
19-09-11, 12:05
Sorry for slightly hijacking this thread but I have been to the Dr this morning for this very thing and he didn't listen at all about the palpitations but he did prescribe me the same as what you take Deepest Blue. Does it help at all? I'm always nervous about taking medication. I'm also going out of my mind slightly cos the palpitations just won't stop, I am having them now and it's so awful. I had an ECG done about three years ago and everything was fine, I'm so scared no matter how much I try and stay calm. Is this really just wind and acid? I'm so scared I'm going to die and no one will help me or listen to me, i feel so trapped and have no where to turn.