PDA

View Full Version : INTERESTING ARTICLE

Laurie28
13-04-04, 14:38
Hiya,

i read an interesting article over the weekend ( i think it was in take a break) about hormones it had a feature in it about anxiety. It stated that 1 in 3 people will have a panic attack at one time in their life (an awful lot then)

sarah
13-04-04, 14:49
Wowee

Thanks Lucky...so we are normal after all...lol
(hopefully most of those dont actually end up with a panic disorder though)

love Sarah
xx

Laurie28
13-04-04, 15:13
I agree Sarah. It did say that a woman had a bad panic and got an air ambulance etc that she was told by the paramedic that it was probably a 'one off', so people may have them just the once.

My boyfriend said that if it is one in 3 then someone else in our fanmily will probably get them (had to explain to him this not neccessarily the case and anyhow I had experinced enough for all of us!)

Lucky

sarah
13-04-04, 15:53
Oh yeah!!! Tell me about it!!!
3 generations of my family on my mums side have had panic - from complete agoraphobia for life(nan), major panic and agoraphobia for about 20 years (mum) and panic and mild agoraphobia for 21months so far (me). My sister had few panic attacks when she was pregnant last year but it went just after the baby was born - thank god!!!!(at least its getting milder as we go down the family tree...lol)

I often go to a pub and think... Law of averages (yeah u r right, i know it doesnt work like that but...)- at least 20 people in here have had panic so they wont think im nuts if I have one now!!!!
Its comforting but sad that its so common.

love Sarah
xx

Laurie28
13-04-04, 16:00
Sarah,

So you're anxiety/panic was probably learned then. Too my knowledge my family are not a family of panickers
Apart from my mother who had agoraphobia for a while whilst coming off a precription drug (just coming off it no whittling down) and she also has a bit of anxiety (but no panic attacks to my knowledge) but alot of that could be to do with her alochol problem.

i'm glad your sister hasn't carried on being a panicker (just goes to show that hormones played a big part there!)
I was the same i started having bad attacks after having my wee one (although strange irrational thoughts started in pregnancy!) and peaked a few months ago now (though am getting better - definetly!) Although my panic attacks started in my early teens

lucky

sarah
13-04-04, 17:08
Hiya Lucky

I think subconsiously my panic may have been learned (maybe genetic - who knows). I knew my nan was agoraphobic, she never made any excuses, it was just accepted and I remember thinking she must be weird...who doesnt like going out?...lol, little did i know eh?
My mum on the other hand didnt tell me what was wrong, it was just explained away as 'high blood pressure which made her feel dizzy', she never told me until I 'went mad' and it was such a relief to talk to her as she knew exactly what I was going through - she was my savior!!!
I would love to be able to speak to my nan about it but she is dead now and has been for about 7 years so no can do.
Im really glad you are doing better Lucky, its so nice to hear that it can be done eh?

love Sarah
xx

kate
13-04-04, 19:13
I think my family has more than the average of mad people!!

My mom had agorophobia, my aunt, my mom's sister, has agorophobia and several other anxieties, both of my mom's cousins are mad, one is an alcoholic and her son is as well.

If it's learned behaviour, then I didn't stand a chance did I????

Kate x

sarah
13-04-04, 21:29
Hiya kate

Well there you got then..im guessing your family and mine would go a long way to proving that its genetic then eh?...lol

Im guessing my kids will be nuts too as my hubby's dad had a nervous breakdown and had panic and went totally mad for about 2 or 3 years...genetics gone wrong on both sides of the family...no chance at all...lol

love Sarah
xx

Laurie28
14-04-04, 08:36
Sarah/Kate,

I didn't know my mum had anxiety problems either!!!

I remember bits and bobs but nothing major (my memory is like a sieve and can't remember much before I was 12!!!!)

I think my problems are down to hormones and/or stress. The hormones i can understand but I didn't feel 'stressed' when my anxiety peaked!

Oh weel whatever it was I've got an anxiety problem and it doesn't matter why we all have it!! it's getting better that counts eh!!
(Very strange that there tends to be an abundance of it in some families though!!)

Onwards and upwards girls!!

Love
Lucky

sarah
14-04-04, 11:08
Hiya Lucky

Yep you are right...doesnt matter why we got it..weve got it and weve just got to 'get on with it'.
As you say 'onwards and upwards'!!!!!!
Oh well, off to do my last bit of packing for my holiday :) see you all next week. xx

love Sarah
xx

Laurie28
14-04-04, 11:47
Enjoy your holiday Sarah. I hope u come back feeling refreshed

Take Care
lucky

Meg
14-04-04, 12:39
Have a great time Sarah.

Hope the sun shines.