PDA

View Full Version : Alone and having arm and finger pain, weakness and cramping

j2
17-09-11, 18:27
I am a long time sufferer of HA and a long time member of this board. I am a 40 yr old male and not on meds. For months or even years I have felt like my arms, shoulders, forearms and fingers are aching, weak, twitching and cramping. I don't think I have lost any sensation but I have a slight tremor sometimes and when I make a tight fist, a couple of my fingers want to remain in that position. I get strong twitching in my triceps that comes and goes. The muscles on the top of my forearms are particularly weak but everything just seems like it is gradually getting worse and seems to have sped up lately. I have gone through fears of ALS, MS, MND and all kinds of tumors. Right now I am doing all right but I am slowly sinking into anxiety. Does anyone else have this? I have had anxiety so long that I do know if I am anxious right now or if I am not. I worry, I I know my emotions are always very near the top as I get really moody an the smallest things brings tears to my eyes. (not very manly I know) Anyway, if anyone can chime in, that would be great. I just need a little support right now. A little reassurance and to know that I am not alone. Being alone in this is the worst. I have nobody that understands and doctors just want to either brush me off or send me for tests. Sorry for the rambling long post but thanks in advance.

J2

daybyday
17-09-11, 18:37
You are not alone with symptoms, emotions and concerns.
I also have HA, so I understand what it is to "what if" the symptoms.
Muscle twitching, spasms, cramps can come from the tension of anxiety.
My most troubling is the racy heart. And there are other symptoms too.

j2
17-09-11, 18:47
Thanks DBD, I just feel so needy right now and vulnerable. This stinks.

Kelley
18-09-11, 14:16
Hi j2.
I get that too. I've had it quite a bit lately...feels like my hand, arm, shoulder, cheek, or leg has gone weak and limp! Usually not all the areas at once but one is enough to get me in a panic! I test my strength when it happens and I still have it so I tell myself that it must all be in my head! I also wake throughout the night with pins and needles in my arms or legs and sometimes get a real numb spot! That really freaks me out too! I sometimes just lay there on my back with my arms down by my side so theyre not in a funny position which causes numbness from poor circulation! But I'll wake later to find my arms are above my head again and they are all weak and numb! Crazy stuff this anxiety is!

Kel

alix123
18-09-11, 15:28
Hi J2, Im currently going through the worries of ALS constantly thinking I have it and every little odd feeling brings me right down. My current issue is that my fingers arent working properly like when I'm washing up or dressing my daughter they dont seem to do what im telling them to do its a bit delayed and feels awkward. Also when I tense my calf muscles they hurt and sometimes cramp slightly. Last night i broke down in tears just so fed up of it all, I too dont know whats 'real' anymore, i feel the symptoms or at least i think i do! Big hugs x

mel78
18-09-11, 21:10
Hi J2 - sorry to hear that you're feeling low. You were a great support to me last week when I was down. It actually amazes me how the symptoms of anxiety can mimic als / ms, etc. It seems to be very common. My arm has been giving me particular trouble, so have my hands and I'm getting a good bit of twitching as well. Last night I woke up in a state of panic, even though I've mostly been feeling better these past few days. I think thats it though - these feelings come and go.

I also know what you mean about getting the brush off from doctors and having nobody that understands. My family are particularly unsupportive over my fears. There's a definite "get over it" mentality, which makes it even harder to deal with.

You will be fine, give it a few days and hopefully the worst will have passed. If I can suggest it, one practical thing you can do is exercise. I've used my exercise bike a lot this past week - it helps me to realise that actually, my body is not really any weaker and in general I feel really good after it.