PDA

View Full Version : Meditation and Mindfulness - Suggestions?

DavidLang
17-09-11, 22:19
I'm wondering if anyone here has suggestion for book or tapes. Just from checking amazon.co.uk, i've come across products by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Are they any good?

As someone whose particular problem was with racing and intrusive thoughts, I'm finding that meditation does really help to calm the mind, stabilize thinking and clear-out the rubbish. The many visualization videos on youtube were particularly helpful. By the way, are visualization and mindfulness the same or different things?

panicpanda
17-09-11, 22:38
I own The Mindful Way Through Depression, a book by several authors including Jon K-Z. It comes with an audio CD. I found his voice very soothing. I think it's great value for money compared to a lot of stuff on amazon. It takes a lot of practice though, daily, which is why I struggled with it. I think it's well worth it if you can commit to it.

I think visualisation is different in that mindfulness focus only on things that are actually real and happening.

Good luck with it x

zygfried
18-09-11, 18:54
Hi.
Try www.allaboutdepression.com/relax/index.html for tips on lots of relaxation methods, incl. mindfulness and visualisation.
Or, www.viddler.com/explore/wildmind/videos/1/ for a lengthy meditation on the mindfulness of breathing.
Also, www.wildmind.org and www.getsomeheadspace.com - both good on meditation.
Hope these help!