PDA

View Full Version : Severe winter weather

Eva May
20-09-11, 23:53
I just (foolishly) read an article saying autumn is going to be stormy and winter is going to start in october like with heavy snowfalls and everything :ohmy: I am actually already freaking out now, I thought I could relax til at least November :weep: I am so concerned with losing power or my heat and water not working which happened last winter. I'm worried that all traffic will grind to a halt and I'll be stuck and that my family will be stuck away from me. I panic terribly if I feel I'm stuck in any way. I don't know how to prepare for this, I don't know if there's even a way to prepare for this but already my stomach is in knots

Bill
21-09-11, 02:08
In the spring I read an article forecasting a barbecue summer:shades:...but I'm still waiting.:shrug:

I've studied meteorology all my life and I know the seasons appear to be changing But I've never seen snow in October. Besides that, it's far too mild for any snow to settle at that time of year so I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

If I'm wrong and you see snow, you're welcome to remind me and I'll eat my words.:foot::hugs:

Anxious_gal
21-09-11, 02:54
You can't control what will happen but you can prepare for it.
When our pipes froze we still have water from the water tank in the attic.
So you could buy a few extra bottles of water to drink and use in our tea.
Candles,flash lights and even laptops are a good source of light.
If the heating goes, do you have a fire place? Hot water bottles, extra blankets and gas heaters would help you warm up.

You could stay with family or a friend or have them stay with you if you got too anxious.

I remember being in a car last year when there was ice on the road and fog and at night driving home from the country. That was nerve wracking for me, luckily I had a goo driver who drove slow, but we did pass some walls where people have obviously crashed in to! I was so happy when I got home!

Magic
21-09-11, 10:39
Hi Eva,
I know what you mean about the weather. Where we live we tend to get stuck in if the weather is bad.
I tend to keep the freezer full. I have plenty of blankets and warm clothes. many candles and large torches.
Sometimes the weather forecast can be exagerated.
Listen to Bill and Mishel is spot on

Eva May
21-09-11, 16:07
Thanks everyone and good point about the incorrect summer forecasts, totally forgot about that

Belleblue
21-09-11, 16:22
They can't even get what the weather will be like tomorrow right - never mind what the next couple of months will be like LOL!! Pay no attention and if the worse happens you'll deal with it :)
At least we don't get as disasterously marooned as those poor people in the Pakistan floods.
Belle x

kibbutz83
21-09-11, 16:30
Too true Belle, I was watching that on the news yesterday! Made me realize how lucky we are really. I think sometimes we can lose perspective when we have anxiety, and we can actually become quite insular and introspective :( x

Bill
28-09-11, 02:12
Just a quick weather update - no sign of any snow but they are forecasting record high temperatures for the beginning of October. Maybe that barbecue summer they promised has arrived!

Anyway, I don't think you'll be needing your winter warmers just yet so try not to let articles worry you as they believe bad news and scaremongering makes money. That's why they print these articles without caring what anxiety they cause to people.:hugs:

By the way, try to say to yourself that when news does make the News it's because it IS News...i.e. out of the ordinary...which therefore means it's a Rare event....one in a million...so you then have 999,999 Good reasons NOT to worry. x

xhyperyogix
28-09-11, 12:22
its 27 degrees and lovely and sunny in London today. enjoy it while we can x x

Glitterbugs
28-09-11, 12:29
Ah, they always get the weather wrong! Enjoying 'summer' now in Autumn ...and we were promised a lovely summer that didn't happen!

If you get anxious about this though might be best to prepare as much as you can by stocking up on supplies etc.

Probably all wrong as usual though...weather forecasters not great in the UK ;) x

Eva May
28-09-11, 22:51
I know I shouldn't be hoping for no snow, wish I could just be excited about it like everyone else