PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhhh. I've got to do something!

Catya
21-09-11, 16:43
Hello people.

Well I reluctantly tried Escitalopram but just couldn't stand the side effects.
But I'm in a real state now. Have been trying to cope with anxiety and depression (and menopause) naturally with 5Htp, but am sinking fast.

I am going to try 10mg of Citalopram now. Please wish me luck.

nicola1980
21-09-11, 17:23
Good luck im on day 8 (day 2 of 20mg) and so far not many side effects just nausea, slightly heightened anxiety and headaches but im starting to feel calmer already and i was in a right state 2 wks ago with anxiety and panic attacks.
Nicola xx

Catya
21-09-11, 17:29
Thank you for your reply Nicola. In the past my main problem has been insomnia. Have you found this a problem with this drug?

Catherine X

nicola1980
21-09-11, 17:34
I did last time i took it to start with but i don't sleep well anyway!! this time i can't really say as im currently taking sleeping tablets aswell to help me thro, maybe u could ask the doc for some to help u thro the next week or so?
Nicola xx

Catya
21-09-11, 17:42
No, I don't think he'll give me any. I was stuck on them for years and managed to get off them eventually.
Will just take 10mg of Cit at first to see how I go.
Thanks.

nicola1980
21-09-11, 17:50
Id recommend taking it in the morning then, i take mine as soon as i get up, good luck again xx

Jmac
21-09-11, 18:30
You may also want to start at a lower dose to reduce the risk of increased anxiety. Worked wonders to me. Also, be sure to give it enough time to work - anywhere from 3 - 8 weeks to see marked improvement 'though you'll likely start to feel somewhat better in the first 2-3 weeks. Most people do. Don't be discouraged a possible odd "blip" on the way to recovery. I've had two such "blips" since starting cipralex (close relative to citalopram) but have come out the other end feeling even better than before!
Any chance your doc might give you some ativan or other diazepam for the first few weeks? Mine insists on it. BTW - I'm in Canada so things may work differently here.
Take care, and know that this is absolutely a step in the right direction!
Jmac

Catya
21-09-11, 18:39
No, generally drs are very reluctant to prescribe any benzos to help.
It was Ciprilex that I couldn't tolerate actually.

Jmac
21-09-11, 18:47
too bad a bout the benzos. They have really helped me through the toughest times.

Hang in there. It WILL get better.

Jmac

cathycrumble
21-09-11, 19:08
Good luck im on day 8 (day 2 of 20mg) and so far not many side effects just nausea, slightly heightened anxiety and headaches but im starting to feel calmer already and i was in a right state 2 wks ago with anxiety and panic attacks.
Nicola xx

Nicola can I ask, you say you are feeling calmer after2 weeks do you have any problem to solve ie phobia or such like as my problem is still with me and I have been on citalopram for 10 weeks now and I am having ups and downs I am waiting for CBT as I know i need to change the way I think I hope you can understand what I am trying to say lol I have had a marriage break up but my issue is with getting my blood pressure taken I know it sounds silly but I just cant get the worry out of my head it is controled infact its fine and I am getting better in being positive and confident in myself. Sorry for interupting this thread.

Cathy xx

nicola1980
21-09-11, 19:33
Ive sent u a pm cathy
Nicola xx