PDA

View Full Version : Food to help anxeity

manxie
21-09-11, 18:00
I have read/heard somewhere that something as simple as diet can help to alleviate anxiety symptoms and that too much sugar can set them off.
I am a shift worker 5am starts and would like any suggestions for a high protein breakfast to set me up for the day. Tuna has been suggested but I do not think I could stomach it at that early hour.

Mr.Jitters
21-09-11, 18:08
I mix whey protein powder in with my porridge for a morning boost. It's cheaper and smells nicer than a tin of tuna, and does help in the mornings.

James1983
21-09-11, 18:29
Hello manxie

I used to do shift work and it played havoc with my anxiety. What I was told by a Dr was that I should have 3 meals a day but try and eat at 'Normal' times as if you worked say 9-5. Impossible if you are on nights! It depends on your meal breaks as well trying to fit it in. My advice is just eat balanced fruit and veg cereal for breakfast, salad at lunch and perhaps fish or a bit of red meat for diner etc. try to avoid stodgy food.:)

saffy f
21-09-11, 18:30
I read that foods high in vitamin b1 are good for anxiety.Natural sources of this vitamin include beef and other meats, milk and other dairy products, oats, and nuts and seeds. In addition, cereals and breads are fortified with the vitamin.
so these are good for breakfast :-)

lazypete
21-09-11, 19:25
i made a list a while pack after researching healthy food to help improve my mood and i noticed a strange coincidence
that nearly all of the foods on my list were also on a similar list i gathered as a training diet to put on muscle mass

meaning simply they were high in protein
(plus green vegetables and fruit)

main items on the list

chicken
turkey
tuna
poached eggs
yogurt
oatmeal
black beans
nuts
cottage cheese
brown rice

manxie
21-09-11, 20:52
Nice two benefits better mood and fitness as well, Cheers still need to perfect an early morning feast.

Jimgym
22-09-11, 19:35
Thanks for starting this thread manxie and for everyone's input - I was just about to post this myself!

Dafyddjohndavies
22-09-11, 22:31
I find caffiene, simple sugar foods, and alcohol are my triggers.

I quite like he fact that a fitness diet makes you feel better.

Mirabelle
22-09-11, 23:17
Scrambled eggs and wholemeal toast is an ideal breakfast. Eggs can be done in the microwave so also a quick breakfast.
x

lazypete
25-09-11, 18:48
I hope i am breaking no forum rules here by posting a link to an article i was reading today .. similar to what i was saying in a early post

/www.menshealth.co.uk/healthy/stress/13-stress-free-foods

Although it is titled beat stress if you read each item on the slide show it speaks of up lifting chemicals and anxiety beating

hope it helps

Jimgym
27-09-11, 14:00
I tried scrambled eggs on toast this morning and it didn't taste as bad as I'd expected! I think with a bit of practice perfecting the microwave technique and getting the time down, this will be part of my regular pre-gym breakfast!

I don't know if this is placebo or not, but I do feel a lot calmer than what I do when I eat cereal in the morning. Thanks for the tip! :)

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

In the Linden Method, Charles recommends 3 small bannanas a day (breakfast, lunch & dinner) as well as up to 5 cups a day of Chamomile tea. This also helps me as the banana provides a source of sustained sugar (as well as anxiety helping ions such as magnesium) and the tea provides a calming effect.