PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attack while exercising

Eclyptic
22-09-11, 14:59
Hi there...

Been suffering from panic disorder for 8 years (age - 27), been off medication since this July, and since the beggining of the year i´ve been having shortness of breath while having strenuous exercise, which didn´t happen before i started the withdrawal from Sertraline (zoloft)...Started thinking about heart problems and the standard issues that plague us people :).
To sum up, i am doing fairly well without medication, but the downside is that i am struggling with fear of having shortness of breath while doing a gym class that i love, and last night i tried to do it at home , and had a massive panic attack, with suffocating feelings, which never happened to me before and i got really scared.
Last month i went doing ECG´s and X-ray to reassure myself and all was fine.
Today i am dealing with the aftershock of yesterday´s episode and feel a bit lost to what my course of action should be regarding this matter.
Is it possible the meds were inhibiting some chemical in my brain that under strenuous exercise it didn´t affect my body and now that i am no longer protected so to speak, i suffer it´s consequences... I will not stop exercising though, i love it, although yesterday´s episode has put me in a dark place towards vigorous exercise...

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers and best wishes to all.

Tiago