PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Pregabalin

Belleblue
22-09-11, 18:07
I was wondering if there is anyone on the forum who could tell me what the withdrawal from Pregabalin is like. Has anyone on here withdrawn from it after a period of time? Or does anyone have any anecdotal information about family/friends who have withdrawn.
I am asking about this as I am considering going on it. The problem is that there is so little information out there about it and I'm trying to make an informed decision. I have been told that anything that messes with GABA is not very nice to come off and that has been a little off-putting.

I'd be grateful for any feedback on this.
Belle x

bigG
22-09-11, 18:14
hey i used to take this and stopped without any issues i was on it for around 12 weeks and just frew them in the bin they didnt work for me but some people say they are brilliant. maybe give them a try they might work for you

stay safe
G

Belleblue
23-09-11, 14:25
Thanks for that response G. Yes there are some on here who swear by it. I'm just a little cautious as there are so few on it for anxiety so there has been very little feedback out there regarding coming off it.
Belle x

Davevanza
09-10-11, 05:42
I was wondering if there is anyone on the forum who could tell me what the withdrawal from Pregabalin is like. Has anyone on here withdrawn from it after a period of time? Or does anyone have any anecdotal information about family/friends who have withdrawn.
I am asking about this as I am considering going on it. The problem is that there is so little information out there about it and I'm trying to make an informed decision. I have been told that anything that messes with GABA is not very nice to come off and that has been a little off-putting.

Belle x

Hi,

As far as I know, Pregabalin does not interact with either GABA-A or GABA-B receptors, it is not converted metabolically into GABA or a GABA agonist and it is not an inhibitor of acute GABA uptake or degradation.

However, it is an analogue of GABA.

Pregabalin binds to an auxiliary subunit (alpha2-delta protein) of voltage gated calcium channels in the central nervous system, potently displacing 3H-gabapentin.

And also, binding of pregabalin to the alpha2-delta site is required for its analgesic and anticonvulsant activity.

It is also excreted as an unchanged drug, meaning, it is not metabolised by liver via CYP450. So it is less likely to interact with other medication.

As with all medications, when taken over a long period of time, to come off it, requires tapering down.

But again, everyone reacts differently even to the same medication.

Kind Regards,
Davevanza

Belleblue
10-10-11, 21:26
Thanks for your response Davevanza. I still haven't made up my mind whether to give it a try or not. I'm a bit like you in that I know that it's a derivative of Gabapentin and was wondering if that would do the job just as well.

Belle x

Davevanza
12-10-11, 11:20
Belle x

Hi,

I am asking about this as I am considering going on it. The problem is that there is so little information out there about it and I'm trying to make an informed decision.

As far as i know, Pregabalin does not bind to GABA receptor.

Pregabalin binds to an auxiliary subunit (alpha2-delta protein) of voltage gated calcium channels in the CNS, potently displacing 3H-gabapentin. And binding of pregabalin to the alpha2-delta site is responsible for its analgesic and anticonvulsant effects.

So, you don't have to worry, in terms of GABA.

About withdrawal, well honestly, as with all medications, when taken over a long period of time, there is a chance of withdrawal symptom if you stop it ( Cold Turkey).

But as far as I know, the most common adverse effects resulting in discontinuation from pregabalin were headache ( Rebound), somnolence, lethargic feeling, insomnia, and many more.

But again, everyone has different effect even to this medication.

I have been told that anything that messes with GABA is not very nice to come off and that has been a little off-putting.

It is an analogue of GABA, but works differently.
It is excreted as an unchanged drug via urine etc, in other words it is less likely to interact with other medications as it is not metabolised via liver by enzyme Called CYP450.

As to me, i consider it a safe medication. ( but again, everyone reacts differently to this medication).

I hope, the info is useful.

Kind Regards,
Davevanza

Belleblue
13-10-11, 15:32
Thank you for all that information - I will bear it in mind as I try to decide whether to take this medication or not.

Belle x