PDA

View Full Version : 1st panic attack in over a year, help!!!!

marie ross
17-05-06, 21:09
Hi All,

I'm really struggling to type at the mo, fingers not doing what ther're supposed to be. As from the subject heading i've just had a panic attack, well its still here sort of, feel really weird, struggling to take breath and shaky, the list is endless. I can't believe it, after all this time with being able to deal with the waves of panic hide them away, now BANG this. Its awful it came out of nowhere and to be truthful it has really really scared me, i've been pacing up and down for ages now, trying to calm myself down, keep telling myself its just a panic attack but everything ive learned has just left me, and i keep thinking this is the real thing it is a heart attack. Sorry to go on and on i just did'nt expect to get another one again, anxiety and panic i can just about deal with, but panic attacks, i've forgot how devastating they can be. What now? What if i get even more, god i can't bear it, if i keep getting them again, and i've tried so hard without meds. Please can someone please let me know if they've had a panic attack after not having one for so long. Really confused and still really shaking

Marie:(

JEdge
17-05-06, 21:15
Hi Marie
Sorry to hear this has come like a bit of a bolt out of the blue for you.
If its any consolation I had a few back in the year 2000 and then suffered a massive one when away with work about 3 years later. I made myself worse as like you, I couldn't pinpoint why it was happening and it took me a while to come to come down from the peak (about a week).
All I can say is hun, you're not alone at all - the way I deal with it is that it is a part of me, yes it can happen now and then and no matter how I try I can't find the answer why, so I have to accept that I'm not bonkers (well - not much!) and that if I can get over just the first one and move on then I can do it with the rest.
What helped me immensley is reading and I am no means a great reader - Susan Jeffers books grounded me a little and theres some good books advised on this website.
Hang in there - it is such a frightening time but if I can get through the tunnel out the other end then I'm sure you can.
Jo x

EebyJeeby
17-05-06, 21:22
It's ok Marie, try not to let yourself go down that road of "what if...". It obviously came as a surprise - I think we all remain vulnerable to a degree - but you haven't said what might have sparked it (if anything?). Try not to be too despondent - think of all the days, weeks and months you have remained panic free! You are still winning!

I'd suggest going back through the NMP website to remind yourself of what is happening physically, so that you can get rid of the health fears etc. You have been there before and you got through it, right?

I've been free of attacks for about 5 months now, but remain vigilant just in case. I often read back through the NMP website, just to remind myself. I know it is so easy to forget everything when panic gets a hold.

Hang in there honey.

Eeb xx

honeybee3939
17-05-06, 21:44
Hi Marie,

just to say your not alone, i have had setbacks a few times, it only takes a little bit of stress for the panic to show its ugly head again, but dont worry Marie it will pass, i try to think positive and tell myself i am having a little set back, i know it is frightening marie but try and tell yourself they are only thoughts that are making you panic, Hang in there Marie i am sure they will pass just like before.

Take care

Love Andrea
xxx

joolsukuk
17-05-06, 22:23
hi hun..
i went 3 years with no panic attacks then had one about 10 months ago ( gosh didnt realise it was so long ago just worked it out) but that one really set me back..still almost always have anxiety but not full blown attacks anymore and like i said after that last one not had one since..so keep calm and remember they might pop up now and again but the gaps are long inbetween.. its done now you survived it xxxx

jools xx

pips
17-05-06, 23:27
Hi hun,

Try to stay calm and not worry.

I to have had setbacks and sometimes when you haven't had a panic attack for a while and then you have one. Tis so frightening I know darling. You think your cured then bang.

Nothing will happen to you it's just that it can catch you of guard at times like it's testing you.

Remember you can beat this you are STRONGER than this i promise. It will get better and will pass.

Try to distract yourself. Tell yourself OK Mr P I know your there but I'm going to carry on whether you like it or not.

Then stick 2 fingers up at him! LOL

Take care hun I hope it passes soon.

Take it easy.

Love & Hugs,

PIP'S X X X X

Wenjoy
18-05-06, 07:22
HI
I know its pants when the PAs come back again. My first ones were 23 years ago and then a gap and now they ahve started up again and I would rather go through childbirth again than have another PA - it sounds silly when you say it out loud but its true. And all they are saying of this site is true - we are frightened of having a PA - and after all its only adrenaline - one itsy bitsy chemical that causes all of this so we just have to say to ourselves - its ok - my body is looking after me - Im in no danger I am fine - I am fine ......
I know its hard - Im still working but feeling really scared at the moment and awaiting hyphotherapy to help me - will keep in touch. Love Wenjoy x

marie ross
18-05-06, 08:40
Thank you all for your replies,

Sorry i did'nt reply last night, the computer froze on me (could not believe it) Well i'm here alive and well but still shocked that a had a panic attack after so long. It took me a while to calm down last night (felt guilty having one while the foootball was on.......not!!!!), but i had a good cry, got a bit angry and then felt really tired and just drifted in and out of sleep all night. Everyones right i'm not going to let just 'one' panic attack set me back so much, and carry on moving forward and hopefully i won't have another one for a long long time.

Eeb - I've no idea what sparked it, i was just washing up and boom, it was there, no time to calm myself and tell myself it justs nothing, it really crept out of nowhere (hopefullys it a fear of doing washing up and i'll never have to do it again.......i wish!!!!!)

Thank you all again.

Marie XXX

Paddington
18-05-06, 14:09
dear Marie,so sorry to here you had a bad panic after allthis time ,it musthave taken you by complete surprise.As you said..'just washing up and boom...'this has happened to me and there is notime to gather your thoughts is there,i think thats how it gets so bad!I am glad you feeling better today marie,i here any time you want a nater.love mary-rosexxxxxxps dont our names sound similar?; )xx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

marie ross
18-05-06, 16:12
Thanks mary-rose

Hope your feeling better also. Yep, it was a complete surprise, i even went outside in the pouring rain to try and compose myself (the kids were downstairs and just could'nt deal with them). Funny thing is felt a bit shaky this morning, but since then i hav'nt felt anxious and panicky at all today, even when i went to work and picked kids up from school, hope it lasts!!!!! Cool names are'nt they!!!!!!!

Take care.

Marie XXX

Paddington
18-05-06, 17:04
thanks Marie ,yes not too bad today ta!I have done the outside in the rain,snow ....whatever,too!I think that bit shaky feelin was just the last bit of adrenalin leaving you in peace!I t wont happen again,dismiss it Marie,dont HOPE it lasts just KNOW that it will hun.love mary-rose[coooool]ha ha haxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore