PDA

View Full Version : 3 weeks into Citalopram

missminnie
22-09-11, 21:12
Hi All

This is my first post here and hoping you can help and give me some advice.

I've now been on 10mg a day for 3 weeks. Prescribed due to depression and anxiety. First few days just felt numb but great - no anxiety or anything. First week anxiety increased considerably which I understand happens but it wasn't the extreme's I'd been having before. Just a lower amount of anxiety but all the time. Then had just over a whole week with no anxiety or depression at all and thought fantastic, I'm making progress.

This week (since Monday so coming up to end of 3 weeks as started 3 week ago tomorrow) increased signs of anxiety and today, absolutely awful. Anxiety there and feel like I did before I started taking them. Increased heart rate, nauseous and extremely and I mean extrememly tired. I'm hoping this is just because I'm going on holiday next week and haven't had a break from work for 24 weeks.

Felt so good last week and felt my old self again. Enjoyed doing things I used to enjoy and felt like I'd never been ill or depressed at all. Understand it can take 6 weeks to take full effect but has anyone else felt the same - like they started to get better but then set back and feel as depressed as I did at the start??

Any advice appreciated.

I'm going on holiday next Wednesday and really hoped I would start to feel better before going so I can enjoy it.

Jmac
22-09-11, 21:25
Hi Missminnie,

I'm on escitalopram (Cipralex, here in Canada) and I know what you're going through. I felt pretty good for the first few weeks and then once I got up to the most common dosage (10mg) I had a week of feeling more anxious than when I started followed by 2 weeks of relief and now this week I'm feeling anxious and down again. However, neither of these "blips" has been as bad as before starting the medication and it's super important to keep that in mind. My guess is that you'd likely be able to same the same if you really think about it?
I've been reassured a number of times by my doctor and others on this site and off this site who all say that this is quite common especially within the first 6 - 8 weeks of treatment. As I'm into my 4th at full dose, I'm confident that this will pass and there will be lots more good days than bad.
Hang in there, keep in touch and we'll get through it together.
JMac

debs71
22-09-11, 21:27
Hi missminie,

Sorry you are feeling rough at the moment.

It does sound to me like you are just now feeling the effects of the meds kick in in terms of the exacerbated anxiety side effects. This is totally normal. I have had this several times over when on and off cipralex. The nausea too is a classic, classic side effect as is the sleepiness due to the serotonin increasing.

Don't be disheartened. This WILL pass, and is just a hurdle you have to get over. There is no real guideline in terms of times when the meds truly kick in. I have found it varies from person to person despite what the docs/leaflets say. For me it took around 4 weeks before I really started feeling better without side effects.

It is not too late before your hol and you may well be over the worst of the effects by then. You still have more or less a week hun.

When I started meds initially I felt way more anxious and depressed than I was before the meds, but I promise you it will improve for you.

Try to stay strong, keep busy if you can (distraction helps a lot and just cracking on with prep for your hol) as that is the best way to not let the side effects beat you!

Best wishes.xxx:hugs:

missminnie
22-09-11, 21:31
Hi Missminnie,

I'm on escitalopram (Cipralex, here in Canada) and I know what you're going through. I felt pretty good for the first few weeks and then once I got up to the most common dosage (10mg) I had a week of feeling more anxious than when I started followed by 2 weeks of relief and now this week I'm feeling anxious and down again. However, neither of these "blips" has been as bad as before starting the medication and it's super important to keep that in mind. My guess is that you'd likely be able to same the same if you really think about it?
I've been reassured a number of times by my doctor and others on this site and off this site who all say that this is quite common especially within the first 6 - 8 weeks of treatment. As I'm into my 4th at full dose, I'm confident that this will pass and there will be lots more good days than bad.
Hang in there, keep in touch and we'll get through it together.
JMac

Hi JMac

Thank you and agree. The "down" moments are no-where near as bad as they were. I couldn't cope before whereas now I just put into practice what my counsellor taught me and the books I've reading on coping techniques. Suppose, I just thought as I was feeling better last week, that it would continue and didn't expect to get down again.

I've got a doctors appointment on my return from hols as he requested to see me after 6 weeks on the medication which I suppose is when it should start reaching it's full potential. I know time is what I'm going to realise is needed to get through this but I'm not a patient person and just want to feel better now as I've been suffering with this for 9 months now but only had the courage to see the Doctor 3 weeks ago.

Thanks again and hopefully I'll be reporting improvements again in few weeks

missminnie
22-09-11, 21:36
Hi missminie,

Sorry you are feeling rough at the moment.

It does sound to me like you are just now feeling the effects of the meds kick in in terms of the exacerbated anxiety side effects. This is totally normal. I have had this several times over when on and off cipralex. The nausea too is a classic, classic side effect as is the sleepiness due to the serotonin increasing.

Don't be disheartened. This WILL pass, and is just a hurdle you have to get over. There is no real guideline in terms of times when the meds truly kick in. I have found it varies from person to person despite what the docs/leaflets say. For me it took around 4 weeks before I really started feeling better without side effects.

It is not too late before your hol and you may well be over the worst of the effects by then. You still have more or less a week hun.

When I started meds initially I felt way more anxious and depressed than I was before the meds, but I promise you it will improve for you.

Try to stay strong, keep busy if you can (distraction helps a lot and just cracking on with prep for your hol) as that is the best way to not let the side effects beat you!

Best wishes.xxx:hugs:

Ah - thanks debs. That's really helpful and I always find once I've spoken or talked about it with people I feel better and my mood is lifted. I can't keep speaking to my Fiance as he's had enough of this for the past 9 months and trying to be fair to him not to burden him with too much "down" moments. Although he does know exactly when I'm feeling low and I get a hug and makes me feel safe and comforted.

Glad I found this forum as seems some lovely people on here who can keep me going.
xx

Jmac
22-09-11, 21:37
I have that same lack of patience. I guess there's no "magic pill"?

Have a great holiday and I'm sure you'll be feeling better again in no time. Me too!

fruitsundee
23-09-11, 11:29
Hi

Im on citalopram and have been for a year now. Rightly so Jmac is not a magic pill but once you get the correct dose and it is in your system it has worked wonders for myself.

Remeber it can take upto 6 - 8 weeks to feel the full benefits, but for me it was worth the wait.

Like what previous posters have said you will feel the benefit, just give it time.

Regards

Fruitsundee

hartleysjam
23-09-11, 12:05
I'm only the first week into it and felt grand until today andnow i feel sicky and achy :( gutted

missminnie
23-09-11, 13:15
Thanks All

Feeling little better today which is good. But still got the anxiety there which wasn't there at all last week. Hoping it is just because they take a while to kick in but have all the side effects back which went last week. Aching, tired, really thirsty. Have drank more tea and diet coke over past week which I've read if drank too much can contribute to anxiety. So just had the one cup of tea this morning and sticking to squash today to see if this helps. Suppose I'm panicky also as it's my last day of work and got loads to do.

Don't want to up my dose after just 3 weeks as I'm already spaced out and want to enjoy my holiday - not feel numb during it. So as I have my doc appointment after I return I'm going to hold out until then which will be 6 weeks into starting Citalopram.

missminnie
23-09-11, 17:05
I've now finished work for 2 and half weeks and managed to get everything done too which is great. So why don't I feel excited about my hols :weep: Usually I love my holidays and get so excited about them but I'm just so anxious about it. Worried I'm not going to enjoy it like I used to and feel so depressed about it. I'm usually bouncing off the walls by now looking forward to flying out and enjoying the sun. But all I want to do is stay at home for the 2 weeks which is stupid :wall:

Please tell me these feelings pass and I will start to enjoy the things I liked before soon?? I felt over the moon last week about my hols and now it's closer, I'm all depressed and anxious about it.

I've paid a lot for this holiday and luckily my Fiance and parents are coming with us so there will be 4 of us in total and so I'm hoping if I get a down moment then they'll lift me up and remind me of all the positives.

Jmac
23-09-11, 19:16
I'll wager the change in environment and full-time distraction of being on holiday will help bolster your enthusiasm. I felt the same when my brother came to visit after only 2 weeks on Cipralex at a very low dosage. However, once he was here and we got going on our adventures, I felt great!

Give yourself permission to enjoy things at your own pace and try not to predict the future. You'll do fine.

Have a wonderful holiday and bring back lots of great memories!

JMac