PDA

View Full Version : Taking my confrontation therapy a step too far at the moment!

macc noodle
23-09-11, 08:11
Ha - just when I was feeling ticketyboo and on top of things - what arrives in the post yesterday??????

Now that I am 50 - an appointment for a mammogram!!!!

So, despite heading in the right direction with my CBT I am not sure I am ready to confront head on going to hospital for a routine test (one of the reasons I asked for CBT was to enable me to do this as I get older and not to be scared of the hospital/docs/test etc).........................

So now, I have a pain in my side, awful wind and feeling sick ............. I am winding myself up over and above a number 10 !!!! And the stupid thing is that I know I am doing it but still it happens!!! Like my mind takes over and I have no control!!

What is a girl to do???

And to make matters worse no one in chat for me to chat to ............

:weep::weep::weep::weep::weep:

diane07
23-09-11, 08:47
Aww Macc,

I dread all these tests myself so i can totally understand how you must be feeling, if i've got to have anything done ie: tests or procedures i'm always best being told i've got to have them done there and then as the more i think about them the more i worry.

Sorry no-one was in chat this morning, i was on the forum as i normally am early in the morning, if i'd have seen this thread earlier i'd have popped in.

di xxx

hopeless
23-09-11, 09:14
Macc

Sorry i was not around this morn to catch you in chat...I had a similar letter a couple of weeks ago from my GP, and at the moment i dont feel up to arranging the test so i have shoved the letter in a drawer.. I Know that i shouldnt ignore it indefinately its just getting the courage up to go..Macc we can do it tho, we know its in our best interests to have the tests, its just conquering the damn anx... I try to tell myself the anx can go to hell as my physical health is more important and im not letting it bully me...Easier said than done sometimes i know but we can do it..

tc

mikewales
23-09-11, 09:17
Please please go when you get these letters ! the testing is important !

My aunt had a routine check up, and they found out she had a small lump that was breast cancer. They removed it quickly and gave her therapy, and she is fine now, that was 6 years ago :)

allergyphobia
23-09-11, 10:06
Well said Mike!

These types of tests are very scary and I think every body doesn't want to go etc. but they are so important :hugs:

Hospitals etc scare a lot of people and the people who do these tests must deal with very nervous and scared people all the time. So don't feel embarrassed about that.

Please book the test! just try and get it as soon as possible so you don't wind yourself up about it.

also i am giving you a slap on the wrist for posting when you said you're not allowed to, naughty macc! :lac:

i totally understand where you are coming from just trying to give you a wee booty up the bum! sometimes it's just what we need!

xxx

fruitsundee
23-09-11, 12:11
Hi

aww macc

Please accept some hugs at this time.

I have to agree though the tests are important and you should book it and go.

You have only received the letter due to the age that you are, and it is just a check.

Hope you feeling better soon

Regards

Fruitsundee

crissy
23-09-11, 12:21
Hello Mac, This is a hard one but the more you do it the easier it will be.
Trust that all will be well, If not you will cope with what ever happens, just for now, let go of any fears and worries and step forward not back.
I think your a wonderful person we just have to think the right thoughts, I am taking my daughter to hospital again next week, it does get to me terribly but that's not going to help any of us, see you later in chat sweet xxxxxxxx love crissyxxxxxxxxx

nomorepanic
23-09-11, 12:23
There is nothing to the test really - just a bit of embarrasment cos I hate getting my boobs out lol

You do need to get it done though so just tell yourself you have no choice and you will deal with it.

Remember our slogan on here JFDI

kibbutz83
23-09-11, 13:29
I had my very first mammogram a couple of months ago, and yes I was worried sick beforehand. But omg it was such an easy, painless thing!! It was over in a couple of minutes, and there was I standing waiting for the pain to start... but it didn't :) We must work on our apprehension and pre-empting of things I guess... things are never that bad :)

macc noodle
23-09-11, 14:32
I am having it done on 10th October !!!

Have had one years ago when I had a scare and it was fine - if a little embarrassing - lol :blush:

My problem is my fear of hospitals and docs and tests - I know I should go and I am going but just felt a bit wobbly this morning !!!!

Thanks to all of you who replied - much appreciated !!

Allergyphobia - please don't tell me off I was only disallowed from coming in here asking for comfort re the symptoms of anxiety which manifest as perceived medical problems - and I didn't I just posted that the mere thought of the test sent me sky high.

I know that I have travelled a long road with all the unravelling of my fears, panic and anxiety - it just seemed ironic that just as we are hitting the hospital end of the problem I get an appointment - methinks that my therapist has a hand in this :ohmy:

Thanks all

:hugs:

debs71
23-09-11, 14:43
Hi dear macc,

I also have a fear of hospitals and doctors...and I worked in one for 10 years!!! But it is a different ballgame as a patient, as many of my experiences have not been altogether fab.

Try not to put pressure on yourself about this check up. Bear in your mind that it is a routine check up that all women of a certain age have. Also - though I agree with everyone else that it is important you go if you are able -that it is not compulsory and you have the option to go or not go. Just these small mental adjustments can make a huge difference on calming your anxiety a bit and staying positive.

I know you can do it. You are super strong and give great advice and support to everyone here.

I am very surprised actually at the age which mammograms are offered. When I went for my breast ultrasound last year when the GP found a lump, the sonographer was staggered that i had not had a mammogram already, and I was 39, so I assumed it was much lower!

Anyway hun, just see this as a glitch of anticipatory anxiety and that come the day, you will succeed!!

xxxxx:bighug1:

allergyphobia
23-09-11, 14:53
Alright then macc i'll let you off this time :flowers:

You sound loads more positive already! Well done... and it probably is that sneaky therapist.

You can do it!

AP
x

WolfieKate
02-10-11, 08:39
Just wanted to say good luck. I had 2 mammos recently... I am only 42 but my Mum died of either ovarian or breast cancer, she died too quick for them to be sure. Luckily they only found scarring lumps from an reduction I had but what a faff! I was worried but it was fine and so quick. I have a tendency when I am agitated or freaking out to just spout verbal nonsense. But I think thats OK to get through a nerve wracking and lets face it quite embarrassing experience. But then I kept telling myself that the nurses must have seen thousands of breasts! Big ones, little ones, all sorts! I rewarded myself after for being so brave. :winks:

I hate medical environments, they make me feel quite queasy. But it was over quick and I was back outside really quickly.

graham58
04-10-11, 13:13
I'd definitely say do it. My Mum had one and they found a lump which required surgery. It could have been a lot worse had she not had the mammogram.

Good luck,

Graham .