PDA

View Full Version : Please someone help me... Keep feeling like my heart has stopped I'm really scared

blondinou
23-09-11, 20:13
In a bit of a state right now. I know I'm freaking myself out but I'm finding it really hard to stop. About 3 times this week I have suddenly felt like my heart has stopped for a few seconds. It's been when I'm just sitting there or walking calmly along. I feel a weird feeling and just have a sense my heart has stopped, so I panic and put my finger to my pulse but I can't feel it. Then I can feel it again a few seconds later. I don't know whether my heart really does stop or whether I'm in a panic so I imagine that my pulse isn't there / fumble around not being able to feel where it is. I don't pass out or feel dizzy or breathless or anything, but it is terrifying thinking that my heart has just stopped.

I don't know what to do about it. I had an ECG a little while ago and it was normal. I feel like I want to go to A&E but I know they would just do another ECG and find it normal. My boyfriend is at work and my parents are out... Just need someone to reply please.

selphie
23-09-11, 21:37
hi blondeinou right im here to reply to you.
:welcome: to the world of ectopics i think this is what you have or missed beats. could you give me some symptoms? if it is ectopics i been suffering with this from june getting em all day every everyday. does it feel like a fluttering sensation or a thumping???? when it happens your pulse will be missed but only for a few seconds have you seen doctor bout this????:)

countrygirl
23-09-11, 22:26
Yes here is another marathon ectopic sufferer here. YOu are describing exactly what an ectopic feels like - sometimes you can feel really faint as well or like you can't breathe.

Ectopics in a healthy heart are harmless but horrible and a Dr will not even tell a patient they have them unless they complain about the sensations. I was told only anxious people actually get the horrible sensations when they happen!

By all means if you are worrying talk to your Dr but as you have already had ecg's then its almost certainly harmless but not nice.

xfilme
24-09-11, 10:21
Me too. been getting ectopics for three years now. They seem to come on mostly when im really stressed and anxious or after ive been eating. They freaked me out at first. I also went for an ECG. All normal. They are harmless and very very common, even in the healthiest of people. x

blondinou
24-09-11, 11:58
Ah thank you everyone for your replies. :-) I do get ectopics where I feel my heart 'fluttering' in my chest or a really strong thump after a missed beat. I feel these every day and used to be scared of them but I got a 24h ECG tape which showed they were harmless ectopics, and I've had a full ECG before too, this was normal. I never get breathless or pass out or anything, just feel light-headed and need to take a deep breath in, probably just because of how nervous it makes me feel. It's just that this week my panic has been fairly bad and I think I talked myself into this heart stopping thing. Last night I rang the doctor, he was really nice and reassured me that I'm probably just feeling an ectopic, where there is a beat that comes in early then a pause after. So I feel a bit more sane now than last night :-D So has anyone of you had this experience of what seems like a really long pause in your heart beat?!
Thank you again it's good to know that other people have been feeling same things! x

kinnygirl1
24-09-11, 15:56
Hi there - yes agree with the others that it sounds like ectopics. I have been told that mine are more than likely completely harmless but it is so scary isn't it ? I am starting to see that mine are connected to stress even though it didn't feel like that when they started so I know why you feel freaked out. Speak to your GP if they are bothering you. They can check you out and put your mind at rest. x

xfilme
24-09-11, 20:24
yes, thats characteristic of ectopics. the pause then thud is the valve regulating the blood flow through your heart. I had mine at its worst when I was about to do a 27 mile hike for charity. I was terrified I would have a heart attack... I didnt. If I can walk 27 miles in one hit and it caused no damage, then normal daily life isnt likely to trigger anything bad. I had a chest infection too at the time.

blondinou
24-09-11, 20:53
It's good to know from lots of people that this sounds like ectopics! One question though, because as you will know the anxious mind is full of "what ifs" and "buts"!! Does anyone get them where there isn't really a thump when the beat starts again, just a normal or even a weaker/slower beat coming back in?
Xfilme it's good to know you could do a 27 mile hike with them well done!! I think they are partly triggered my stress for me definitely. I've been having a cough and cold these past couple of weeks too.

wiskersonkittens
25-09-11, 17:49
Yes, that's me -- I have found when I feel as if my heart has stopped that when I try and feel my pulse, I can't feel it, but then it seems to gradually come back. I keep wondering what is going on and why it is like this, if my heart didn't indeed stop. I have also had thuds and light headedness with some of mine, too. I spent a month with my cardiologist who ran several tests and he said everything was fine, still, they are scary. Hugs, Wiskers ~

selphie
25-09-11, 17:54
yesterday i had a run of them when i thought my normal beat wasent going to come back in but it did after a massive run of them and that totally freaked me out and when you feel your pulse and it aint there horrid thingsx:)

alan15
25-09-11, 19:30
Hi everyone, Ive been getting these ectopic beats (PVC's) for about 6 years, I average around 1,000 a day ( I have had a 24 hour holter test 3 times, which records them when they happen,) so I have had around 2 million ectopic beats, really,, I was terrified i was going to die at any minute, conclusion I have come to if i have had 2 million of them and nothing physical has happened then its pointless worrying about them, if your heart is otherwise healthy they are harmless,, they CANNOT bring on a heart attack, a heart attack is something completly differant, I know how scary they are, I have been there, get your heart checked out, if its healthy then these ectopics are physically harmless,, I hope this helps someone,, ALAN

hartleysjam
26-09-11, 10:24
I have these too and they definite peak at times when i'm super tired, stressed or when I've had a few too many the night before. Hope you feel better soon xx

blondinou
26-09-11, 18:59
Hi everyone, Ive been getting these ectopic beats (PVC's) for about 6 years, I average around 1,000 a day ( I have had a 24 hour holter test 3 times, which records them when they happen,) so I have had around 2 million ectopic beats, really,, I was terrified i was going to die at any minute, conclusion I have come to if i have had 2 million of them and nothing physical has happened then its pointless worrying about them, if your heart is otherwise healthy they are harmless,, they CANNOT bring on a heart attack, a heart attack is something completly differant, I know how scary they are, I have been there, get your heart checked out, if its healthy then these ectopics are physically harmless,, I hope this helps someone,, ALAN

Thanks Alan this is good to know! Can't believe you get 1,000 a day, you've done really well to stop worrying that they were going to kill you! That gives me hope that I can stop worrying about mine. Thank you x