PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Problems Freaking Me Out

JamesJ
24-09-11, 10:33
I've noticed that alcohol causes problems when I sleep, so I stopped drinking it. But last night I had 3 vodkas an cokes at around 6pm. I went to sleep around 2.30am.

So, at 4am. I woke up abruptly. I think I might have had a PVC, not sure. When I woke up I was lying on my back.

I have this strange feeling in my chest. It wasn't pain, but I cannot explain it. I really cant. If I was to try and explain it, maybe like butterflies on my chest. When I say butterflies I do not mean fluttering. It's more like I can feel my heartbeat going slow ... except it's not slow! Or, to try and explain it another way, like a massive presence of adrenaline feeling.

However, I do notice I have this feeling when I wake up in the morning and stretch.

It's a horrible feeling because it freaked me out. I started to think I can't breath. I was disorientated, with only 1 hours sleep and being woke up so quickly left me in a shocked and dazed moment for about 15 minutes. I could barley open my eyes.

Has anyone else ever had anything similar to this? I'm mainly questioning the feeling in my chest. Has anyone felt anything like it? Or had similar sleeping issues?

kibbutz83
24-09-11, 13:26
Hi James, I can't drink anymore as I know it's gonna cause havoc with my sleep (I don't sleep much when I haven't been drinking): No-one's forcing you to drink are they? So maybe you need to take control of this situation, and say to yourself "I'm not gonna be tempted"... it'll be worth it in the end :)

JamesJ
24-09-11, 15:46
Yeah I know. I'm in a pub now with family but got a shandy. I did stop drinking for a while but then thought "a couple vodka and cokes should be ok". I just don't understand why it has such a negative effect On me these days. It never used to happen. :/

kibbutz83
24-09-11, 15:55
Hi again, I think it's all related to our liver and nervous system. I think anything that puts added strain on our body (as alcohol does) will cause physical/mental disturbance. After all alcohol is a depressant, and impacts our brain chemistry :( Enjoy your shandy x

Meewah
24-09-11, 19:00
James

Just stop drinking. Drinking makes you get to sleep quicker but you sleep very lightly and so any change can make you wake up quickly.

I stopped 5 years ago, or should I say I dont drink anywhere near bed time. I may have a drink in the afternoon but only one or two.

Mee