PDA

View Full Version : Pains in calfs again

anx mum
24-09-11, 21:58
Really cant believe it last few days been suffering from pains in calf was my right calf today its both calfs the pain is sharp last time i had this they thought it was scatica? Do i need to see doc?

n_88en_w
24-09-11, 23:00
Hello Anx mum. I would go see your GP it could be just strain. Do you work long hours on your feet ie nursing etc?? i had and some times still have problems with my calf i convinced myself i had DVT but a scan proved i did not.. even though the scan prove negative i still sometimes believe and think the scan was wrong. However... i have not got or had DVT but its reassurance at the end of the day ok. So see your GP :yesyes:

macc noodle
25-09-11, 07:15
Hi anxmum

Sorry to hear you are suffering again :hugs:

I go through periods of calf pain - usually if I have been wearing one kind of shoe for a number of days without a change of heel height and I am particularly susceptible to it if I have been in the house all day pottering around without my shoes on - just a thought it could be the same for you?

Also, if you are tense from it and imagining the worst, the muscles contract and become even more painful - have you tried putting a nice warm hot water bottle on them and taking some painkillers and seeing whether or not it gives you some relief.

Just remember this - you have been tested for DVT and did not have it then - the chances of you having it now are exceedingly remote.

Take care

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

anx mum
25-09-11, 21:45
Thanks guys still in pain suppose to go 2 gym 2moz not sure if i can go? Wear flat shoes do suffer with scatica and im overweight so i guess it could be due to this

AllInMyHead
26-09-11, 10:18
Hi Anx_mum,

I don't think you need to go to the doctor's for this, especially if you've had problems with it before and everything has been ruled out.

Definitely, definitely, definitely go to the gym tomorrow, even if you really don't feel like it and you have to drag yourself there. It will loosen up your muscles, make you feel good about yourself, and give you plenty of other aches and pains to take your mind of your calves :D

anx mum
26-09-11, 21:11
well went to gps she reckons its scatica like i had few months ago does anyone know much about it?

anx mum
27-09-11, 20:54
Still getting horrible pains in calf:weep:does anyone ever get scatica on 2 different painkillers still sore

Bruno58
27-09-11, 21:08
well went to gps she reckons its scatica like i had few months ago does anyone know much about it?

I am a little suprised your GP thinks its sciatica without trying to discover why you have the pain.
sciatica is caused by a disc in the spine pressing on nerves and sending a fairly sharp pain down the back of the thigh, I have had sciatica for 21 years but it only affects the back of my thigh not my calf.

I am wondering if your calf pain is caused by something else, long periods of standing or activity is my first guess, which painkillers are you being prescribed?

J.

anx mum
27-09-11, 21:15
co codimal and diclfenic dunno im worrying again now what do u think it is?

Bruno58
27-09-11, 21:27
Well my first thought its not sciatica, doesn't sound right...you would have pain in the back of the thigh first, I know all about it!

I think you should rest your legs and a good idea perhaps is to have a hot bath and then see if that eases the pain, taking painkillers is to my mind...and experience.. just covering up any pain so you can't feel it and you then make it worse by doing your normal activities...yes?

I've been prescibed the same tabs too for my pains..I gave them up because they didn't work....

Try not to worry too much...

J.

M155anthr0p3
28-09-11, 11:45
I have Sciatica & I get it in the back of my thigh & down that same leg into my calf & foot - so it is possible.

anx mum
28-09-11, 19:51
Hey guys hoping someone can help me my calf has been so painful today ive been bk to gp he gave me a blood test to check for clotting all has come bk ok yet im in agony taking painkillers and still in pain:weep:

Bruno58
28-09-11, 20:02
Hi anx, can you describe the pain in detail and when it happens, what does it feel like exactly...

I'm having lots of trouble with pains in my feet/shins and calf.. both legs in fact and its variable according to how I sit/lie in bed...I know why I'm having these pains, my doc couldn't make his mind up as it is more than one problem with me...so I'm seeing someone else next month.

J.

anx mum
28-09-11, 20:07
Hi hun its like a dull ache when its really bad its sharp woke up was in pain dont know what it is worrying me

Bruno58
28-09-11, 20:10
would you say the sharp pain is like a knot...a small area too..not all over though and always in the back of your calf?

I'll add a bit more...sometimes I have the sharp pain in the back of my thigh..can be left or right leg...seems to move about...

anx mum
28-09-11, 20:16
its sharp down back of calf the rest of time its a dull ache r u suffering too?

Bruno58
28-09-11, 20:28
I'm terrible, I'm 58 and not soft as I've had a few injections for my disc injury in my spine but the past 5 months have been worse than I have ever had, its nothing to do with my spine though, my doc has written in my notes he can't make his mind up if its spinal or 'periphial'..which is another name for vascular, its the blood not circulating properly at the extremities,...our feet and lower legs...

It always starts when I've been lying down in bed for an hour or so, was in tears once about 3 months ago..I don't cry with my pains..I did that time...!!!

Have you found walking around a little say for 10 minutes makes it go away?

anx mum
28-09-11, 20:36
walking makes it worst although it was hurting when woke up this am

Bruno58
28-09-11, 20:54
In that case it may not be the same problem I have with circulation..going back to the sciatica, I can honestly say I've never had the sharp pain in the back of my calf, always back of my thigh...been like that since 1989/1990, its on and off though and depends if the disc has been irritated.

I think you should go for a second opinion from a different GP as the one you have seen doesn't seem to know what to do...frustrating I know, I have had that problem with doctor's.

Have you not found any relief from the pains? a few years ago I tried lightly salted warm water..about half a glass when it started..always lying down in bed again..it did help for a while.

I'll stay online...try not to worry

anx mum
29-09-11, 20:36
My main fear was a dvt but doc said my bloodtest was normal been in so much pain today both calfs got physio 2moz

Bruno58
29-09-11, 20:57
That's good then, I can't help feeling you have overdone it and need to rest your legs more, physio should help and you will get advice and further treatment now, also the physio should be able to throw some light on what the problem is, they can be very good with this sort of thing.

Make sure you explain everything too.

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how you get on.

J.

anx mum
29-09-11, 20:59
Thanks hun hows u?

Bruno58
29-09-11, 21:03
Been under pressure today! too much going on, could be in for a rough night!..right shin has been hurting since this morning which tells me it will cause problems when I lie down...not looking forward to it but I'll survive...

Don't worry about me I'm tough:wacko:

J.

anx mum
02-10-11, 18:38
Hey guys my anxiety is bk again worried about my left calf been in agony now over a week had painkillers, gel to rub, physio its not hot or red but so painful my doc thinks its scatica?

Bruno58
02-10-11, 19:17
Hi Anx, sorry you are still in lots of pain...as you haven't mentioned any back pain as well I'm wondering if you have been at the gym a lot?

J.

anx mum
02-10-11, 21:30
No havent been to gym in about 3 weeks my back dosent hurt mainly my left calf been in pain weekend would that bloodtest di dimar show any dvt dont think it is cos its not hot or swollen?

Bruno58
03-10-11, 10:46
Did the doctor give you an examination? they would ask you to lie on the couch on your back and lift your leg by the foot to see how far it will rise.

'Sciatica' is a symptom not a diagnosis...it is the nerve in the leg being irritated or squeezed...can get complicated!

If I remember correctly if the pain is not improving after about 6 weeks the doc should consider a scan to see what the trouble is, I had CT and later MRI which showed the disc was causing the pain, it could be different for you.

Keep asking your doc and don't just suffer in silence, that's what they are paid good money for, the doc should refer you on to someone if it keeps on like this.

Take care. x
J.

anx mum
04-10-11, 21:24
Thanks hun been in pain all weekend with like a dull ache and shooting pains in my calf. My anxiety is bk worried bout a dvt dr said blood test would of shown any clotting on regular painkillers and having physio once a week