PDA

View Full Version : citalopram

Jordzy
26-09-11, 14:29
Hi all

Im new to all this but im hopefully after advice from people who understand... im currently taking 20mg of citalopram for anxiety and depression, i started my course two weeks ago today. I know it takes about two weeks to get into your system but after i experienced some horrible side effects: high levels of anxiety, suicidal thoughts, upset stomach.. stuff like that (which i expected) i started to feel pretty good in the last two or three days but woke up today feeling rock bottom and feel like im in the same place as i started :shrug:

is this normal? will it get better? im due to go to my doctors this week to get a repeat perscription.... all answers appreciated!

thanks
:)

nomorepanic
26-09-11, 14:31
Hi Jordzy

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Vix86
26-09-11, 14:38
Jordzy, hang in there. Citalopram is an AMAZING drug, and has helped me so much. Everyone is different and has different side effects, and it certainly sounds like you've had a rough time with yours.

Are you taking them mainly for anxiety or depression? Or is it an equal mixture of the two (such a great pair aren't they?!)

When you say you've been having suicidal thoughts, and be honest, is it feelings that you want to die, or more that you might be better off not here because you're struggling to cope? If it's the latter, just hold fast to the belief that you're making some really pro-active steps to help yourself, and have a wonderful life ahead of you. If the former, do this too, but please talk to someone you trust about it and please please please don't do anything to harm yourself. The fact that you're posting on here shows your committed to improving your life, and trust me it will get better.

All the best!

Jordzy
26-09-11, 14:46
hi vix86

Firsty thanks for the reply! i think it is more of a feeling that it would be an easier kind of feeling, but i have had this feeling many times before and i have no intentions of acting on it.

Secondly i would say it is more anxiety probably 60-40 with social anxiety a pretty big problem! but i also have very little interest in other people or activities... anyways i will hang in there on the citalopram i just didnt know what to expect from it, like i said the other day i actually felt like my old self for a short amount of time, and to be fair it felt amazing!

thanks again

william wallace
26-09-11, 14:47
Jordzy I'm taking Citalopram as well. Started off 5 weeks ago on 20mg and after 4 weeks GP increased this to 30. I'm still having a bit of mild anxiety and head pressure but it's not nearly as bad as it was. Setbacks are the pits, and there will be many, thats the Citalopram ladder. I hope you get your shit together:)

Vix86
26-09-11, 15:19
Totally normal to have that kind of feeling, this is difficult stuff you're dealing with and it can get extremely tedious to say the least!

I think because citalopram tends to have quite a numbing effect it worked quite well with my panic disorder, but social anxiety is so different and may well take longer for it to help.

Good for you for sticking to it!

Glitterbugs
26-09-11, 18:38
Ah, I started a few days ago too. 20mg gave me dreadful side effects - clenched jaw, racing heart, hot and cold, no sleep and dreadful pains in my thighs.

Now on 10mg and although no time for it to improve my mood yet, the side effects are better and I am managing to cope OK.

My GP suggested 10mg for a while then upping to 20mg as this helps with the side effects. Anyone else done this and did it work?? x

Dangermouse99
26-09-11, 18:54
I have started on 10mg of the drug for a week and will then go up to 20mg. About 6 months ago i just popped a 20mg as that was what the doctor gave me and the whole experience was very intense...i was also very sick. I had the whole clenched jaw thing and i felt fuzzy in the head and disconnected, paranoid and in the end i stopped taking them.

This time i am going to keep it up, the 10mg still made me sick and paranoid but i am keen to keep it up as i am taking it for depression. I know this drug is amazing for anxiety disorders...a friend of mine had not left the house for a year, she lad labyrinthitus, she was agrophobic and also suffered panic attacks...the day she started this drug was the day it all stopped and now she's a new woman.

My advice is deffo stick with it...just have taking the pill as your daily routine, cuppa coffee...pop the pil...breakfast...ect and don't think to much into it...i have heard amazing things about this drug!

Jordzy
26-09-11, 23:46
wow its safe to say i didnt expect such helpful replies, good to know others are going through similar things. i look forward to exploring the site a bit more

thanks guys

ParanoidScotsman
27-09-11, 01:19
I take 40 mg of of it every day, 1 tablet.

Tero
27-09-11, 01:40
Well, it does funny stuff, yes. I refuse to go up from 10mg, I think it would work a little better. I only need it for panic attacks. But over half year, the only side effect seems to be a slight sleepyness. I need to drink coffee before I drive home, and the caffeine keeps me awake but may add to the panicyness.

Good luck, try to get the minimum support even if people are a problem. Some close person.

piti83
27-09-11, 14:04
hello, i was on citalopram for over four years goin up to 40mg till i got beta then slowly coming down the mg till finally stopping the pills and feeling great. i really do recomend it it worked wonders for me made me feel like a normal person again. Unfortunatley i have had another bout of panic attacks/anxiety starting bout 2 wks ago when i found out i was pregnant. my doc has prescribed a different anit depressant as i cant take citalopram whilst pregnant