PDA

View Full Version : panic

nigela
18-05-06, 14:22
Hi I keep feeling panicky again and worrying about having another attack I was at the Doctors yesterday-jsut a check up-and jsut having my blood oressure takne -as she was so quiet-i felt the need to flee so got all panicky-she had to do it again as i moved. Also wehn someone looks me in the eye when talking and doesnt look away i now get the same feelings-do any of you get this? So of course wehn i am talking i keep it short as afraid to feel like this-so i didnt ask half of the things i needed to!
any tips please
Nigela x

nigela

Hannahlou84
18-05-06, 14:33
Sorry you aren't feeling too good at the moment.

I have the same problem with looking people in the eye- the best thing I find is to keep making brief eye contact. You shouldn't panic as much if you feel able to look away, and it won't reinforce your fear like avoiding it will.

Does the doctor know about your problems? If you find it hard to talk to her, perhaps you could write down the things, so that you have to say them, or if you prefer, you can give her the piece of paper.

Hope this helps a little bit.

"I just wanna live my life sedated, cos I love driving myself away"

Paddington
18-05-06, 14:40
oh nigela, i am sorryyou feelin so panicky hun,it is scary i know.I also know about feelin panicky whenits too quiet,but then it can happen when it's too noisy too!!As 4 the eye contact,that is new to me but anythng is possible with panic disorder hun.Maybe have something in your hands a tissue or your bag so you can look down and break the eye contact with out felin daft or drawing attention to yourself[not that they notice it hun,it's inside of us!]I agree with Hannahlou,make sure your dr is aware of how you are feelinf then that's the battle won realy,if she knows then you wont be on edge about what MAY happen,good luck with it,thinkin of you,love mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

nigela
18-05-06, 15:49
Thank you Mary Rose and Hannah.
The things which gets me is when they keep looking at you. also when having blood pressure taken or say in dentists you cant reach for your bag etc. I did pluck up to tell my Doctor and actually was panicky while there a few months ago-but offered no help-jsut a blood check to check my hormones-came back ok-so that was that!
Nigela x

nigela

Hannahlou84
18-05-06, 16:07
Well, her knowing something is a start. Did you tell her how much it's affecting you at the moment? Doctors (unfortunately!) aren't mind readers.

Do you think you would like more help with the problem? It might be worth making a list of symptoms, how often etc and sharing these with your doctor for further support.

Some people are very full-on with eye contact, you just have to break it when you feel uncomfortable- and people usually pick up on that and then don't maintain it for so long themselves afterwards.

Hannah x

"I just wanna live my life sedated, cos I love driving myself away"

giddy
18-05-06, 16:10
Hi Nigela - I'm just the same when people look in my eyes when they're talking - I have to look away and then start worrying that I'll look shifty!! I also find it hard to hold peoples eyes when I'm talking to them and then worry that they'll think I'm lying to them!!
Love helen