PDA

View Full Version : Hello

simondo
28-09-11, 08:22
Hello

Have just joined up as I begin my journey. Was prescribed Citalopram around six weeks ago but to date have yet to take it as I have been terrified by the side effects and how it may affect my daily life which is pretty hectic.

I'm writing this whilst sat in McDonalds trying to hide my tears from other diners so I guess that means it's time to start taking the meds.

Not sure exactly what's up with me as doctor wasn't fantastic and didn't really talk through things with me. I went to the doctor due to tingling pains in arms / legs and we discussed irritability (I have a fairly short fuse) and walked out with Citalopram.

Bit scared at the moment but hopefully this is the turning point. Come say hello !!

Simon

diane07
28-09-11, 08:27
Hi simondo

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Glitterbugs
28-09-11, 09:13
Hello Simon,

I am new too but I have found just talking a bit to others on here quite helpful - especially in those lonely moments!

I have suffered with anxiety in the past, had a very abusive marriage that ended a few years ago. New partner now but a blip (now resolved) in our relationship a couple of months ago brought back the anxiety big time with some panic attacks too.

I have started Citalopram recently (I think about six days in) as it can help with anxiety as well as depression. Please don't be scared. I took 20mg first off and the side effects did knock me for six. I then cut the dose in half and have been taking 10mg daily to give my body a chance to get used to it and although there are side effects, they are manageable.

I know a few people on Citalopram and they say that if you can manage the first couple of weeks it really does help. Lots of people are on it (a GP friend of mine who has helped me immensely reckons that around 30% of us are probably on it!!).

Your GP sounds as if they haven't given you a reasonable explanation for your symptoms and if I were you, I would go back and ask to see another GP. Maybe write down symptoms and questions before you go in as sometimes you just forget all you wanted to say when you get in there then remember afterwards :)

Oh, I also had Diazepam in a very low dose to help with the side effects of first few days of Cit and it did help (I had trouble sleeping and became more anxious for a while).

Look forward to chatting. xxx

paula lynne
28-09-11, 09:22
Welcome Simondo, to a great supportive forum. Its always tough for the first couple of weeks, it WILL get better. Check out the citalopram survival thread using the search facility, youll find lots of helpful advice there.
Best wishes, Paula x:welcome:

Dangermouse99
28-09-11, 09:26
Hi Simon,

I know how you feel...i've been there. Ive suffered depression on and off since i was a teenager and i have such dark periods where i feel so hopeless and i wonder why i put myself through all the suffering. It's awful being in that place, the place where life seems to be carrying on around you and you are in this weird space where everything is certainly not rosy and clear.
I started citrolpram 3 days ago after a nightmare and very emotional weekend.
I'm not going to lie to you...i'm not having the best of times with the icky side affects...but everyone is different! i have been keeping a diary in my threads of exactly how i have felt since taking it.
Be strong! and feel free to keep in touch via my thread...there is so much support on this site and trust me you are NOT alone in how you feel. Take care love x

Glitterbugs
28-09-11, 09:30
Hey dangermouse! I think I am on day 6 now (10mg) and feels bit better today. Less anxious for sure! Let's hope it lasts.
My sis is on Citalopram and we had a chat last night. She said week one was hard, week two improved symptom wise, week three to four her mood started to lift a bit and now it helps bucket loads!
Hope you are OK...I think it's worth sticking with. Hugs! xxx

Dangermouse99
28-09-11, 09:36
Thanks for the kind words Glitterbugs :)
The hardest part for me is trying to act normal around my kids...this week is certainly knocking me for six. It's odd because the first day i took it...that evening i felt so calm and hubby said, wow, you are actually smiling and seem happy. The next morning i was okay but it wasnt until i took my second dose that i can't seem to shake off these weird feelings...stomach turning and anxious. Even last night i felt odd...woke up in the night with really disturbing thoughts but luckily went back off to sleep.
Yes :) i plan to stick with it as i have heard so much good stuff about this drug...i take it for depression rather than anxiety. so lets see what happens xxx

Glitterbugs
28-09-11, 09:40
Sooo can relate to all you say! I got more anxious and found it hard to act normal around the kids!! My GP gave me short term Diazepam (only 2mg so v.low) to help with the sleep think and over anxiety and it helped loads.
Not going to relax just yet but I do feel less anxious today :) yay! xxx

Dangermouse99
28-09-11, 09:42
Keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on Glitterbugs...I'm only 3 days behind you :) xx

Glitterbugs
28-09-11, 09:43
Will do :) We will get there! Hugs! xx