PDA

View Full Version : counting????

trevor
18-05-06, 20:56
hi guys,,

just lately i have a problem with counting in my head,,,i count to 32 dunno why but i have to miss out number 13 and 9 weird i know is this ocd cause when i thouch things not all the time just some i have to touch and touch just little touches 32 times am i going crazy cause its really getting me down,,

is it just insecurity and anxiety or am i developing a real problem with ocd,,thats all i need right now,,

thanks guys
trevor,,[xx(]

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

joolsukuk
18-05-06, 21:01
hi
has this only just started if yes i would say go to gp now and tell them! what happens if you dont miss out those numbers???

jools xx

trevor
18-05-06, 21:03
hi jools,,

if i do include those numbers i start all over again,,

weird ans scary i know,,
i cant go tto my doc with anything cause he dosent listen i have changed docs in the past but they are just not bothered,,

thanks,,

trevor,,

joolsukuk
18-05-06, 21:06
hi
oh dear you seem to have had bad experience with docs..trevor there are lotsof very understanding and caring docs out there you will find one make sure you explain to them dont hold back because you may feel embarressed.... what if you dont start again counting?????

jools xx

trevor
18-05-06, 21:12
tthanks joolss,,

if i dont start countin again i get really anxious,,but i dont count constantly through the day just maybe in certain situations or places,,

my anxiety has improved immensly over the past year,,but now am left with this,,
yeah very bad experiences they seem to me they just dont care,,
:D
,,thanks,,

trevor,,

joolsukuk
18-05-06, 22:38
hi trevor i have had problem with some docs in past told me to go eat a pork pie as i was thin !!!!!!!! but my doc now is my savour hes so understanding listens to me turns the light down when i cry.... he is constantly giving me new things to read and try but that was after 7 years of pa's and anxiety so you find one and it will help..sorry about questions about the counting i dont have that so just wondered ..have you ever been on meds? xx

jools xx

darkangel
18-05-06, 22:38
hi trevor

i too count in certain situation- stairs, times I rinse out cloth when washing dishes,etc.

Ive had this for a while but dont consider it to be OCD - I think its more of an anxiety thing with me - anyway if it is OCD it is just another label to deal with!!

I would definetly talk it over with your GP if you feel it gets out of control though.

Take care trevor

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

kate
18-05-06, 23:01
Hi Trevor,

My daughter has OCD and hers includes counting in even numbers, touching things an even number of times etc.

Do you know what compels you to counting in such a way? In my daughters case, she has to count, touch things in order to prevent "bad" things happening to us, her family. The obsession is the anxious thoughts, the compulsion is the counting etc to counteract the anxiety.

A lot of factors have to be present before OCD will be diagnosed. Would definately be worth trying to find a sympathetic GP.

Kate

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

wendy
19-05-06, 09:34
Hi Trevor

I had a counting OCB when I was around 14 Years old and as Kate says about her daughter, mine was related to fear of something bad would happen if i didnt count to 10 in my case, I also thought that If I counted good things would happen, the way I got over it was to gradually change my counting, 1 Would for example count to 8, sit quietly and say right nothing bad has happened to me so I dont need to count again, of course it doesnt go away straight away but can be controlled once you realise that it is our own thoughts only triggering this need, I feel for you as it is awlful to have this need whirling through you mind but you will get over it and beat it, it is the same vicious circle as with all Anxiety the more it worries us the more we have the need to do it,

You may find if you take the step to register with a new doctor and go and discuss your fears this will be the trigger in its self to beat this - Good Luck to you and promise you It will go away

Take Care

Wendy xxx

trevor
22-05-06, 07:38
hi guys,,

thanks for you kind words of support i could perticulary relate to kate and wendy,,

thanks wendy i am already putting that in to practice,,i guess its yet another symptom of anxiety,,

thanks,,

trevor,

heths
22-05-06, 12:04
Hi Trevor,

I have OCD and count/check things. I've had it since I was little. It's getting better slowly, but I have to keep fighting it. I notice mine is worse when i'm anxious about something.

What I try to do is try not to check/count something and try occupy my mind with something else. I find it's working more the more I do this.

Hope this helps,

Take Care,

Heather