PDA

View Full Version : Fat leg!

miss polly
28-09-11, 20:41
I'm in a flat panic about my leg! My left lower leg is about an inch bigger than the other one. I noticed it a few years ago as I had difficulty zipping up one of my boots, but somehow it didn't really bother me. I'm losing weight and have dropped about 3 stone with a couple more to go and it seems that the difference in calf sizes is getting bigger. It's so noticeable that I can't wear tighter jeans as my leg look so bulgy.
I googled what it could be and of course it could be a type of cancer liposarcoma. I feel so scared and I can't stop obsessing about this leg. It's not that the muscle is bigger there's a definite bulge at the front of my inner lower leg. It looks like a fat pad.
I'm so scared :weep:

cassy1989
28-09-11, 21:58
Hi, please try not to panic.
I noticed when I was pregnant with my son (nearly 7 years ago) that my left lower leg also was a lot bigger then the other. Obviously automatically I thought blood clot or some thing serious but I spoke to the dr and he explained that every one has one leg bigger then the other, no one is symmetric. It's just more obvious on some people.
Honestly if you speak to your dr they will say exactly the same xx

miss polly
28-09-11, 22:20
Thanks for your reassurance Cassie ~ when you say your leg was a lot bigger , how much difference is there? over an inch?

cassy1989
28-09-11, 22:22
probably about an inch-an inch and a half (i just checked lol) xx

miss polly
28-09-11, 22:40
Thanks so much Cassy ~ I feel a bit easier now xx

miss polly
13-11-11, 13:28
I'm resurrecting this because I went to the docs recently and as an aside mentioned my leg and I've now got an appointment on the 25th for an ultrasound! I thought the doc would say it's nothing to worry about and tell me not to worry. I feel so sick and panicky now I can hardly cope.
Naturally I've been googling like mad and a blood clot is the least of my worries. It could be a cancerous tumour in my pelvis/abdomen area pressing on a vein that's causing it. I'm so terrified I can hardly breath.

ronski
13-11-11, 13:59
Miss Polly cancel all future appointments with dr Google, just wait for the ultrasound and get the result from your doctor. It's not useful to pre determining outcomes so don't get in the habit. Your doctor is just sending you to ensure a correct diagnosis is made and that is commendable. Just try and relax and just enjoy life.

AllInMyHead
13-11-11, 15:09
Try not to worry, ronski is right. And if it was anything serious, I'm sure you would have been extremely ill by now since it's been there for several years.

Our poor GPs can win with us can they? We get more anxious if they won't do tests, and we get more anxious still when they do do tests :doh:

miss polly
13-11-11, 15:56
Thanks for the replies ~ I'll try hard to calm down and not to panic (not easy when you're me :blush:)

ronski
13-11-11, 17:23
Miss Polly don't try hard that just adds tension and so release of adrenaline. If you have had the lump for years then that answers your question that's it probably just a fat pad.
You intimate that you are anxious by nature, that is what you have to sort. We all think it's natural to be anxious but it isn't it is a learned behaviour. So that being the case you can change it by being positive. Don't dwell on what ifs or pre determining outcomes. Dwell on an interest, something you can really get your teeth into. A bored mind breeds anxiety so ensure you have something to distract it. You can calm down if you want to, you just have to want to if you know what I mean.

miss polly
13-11-11, 18:14
Thanks ronski ~ I'll listen to your wise words. It's just I can't understand why I've got a fat pad on quite a slim leg! It doesn't make sense.

ronski
13-11-11, 19:13
That's the trouble our bodies do things to us that even medical science cannot explain. I have some lipomas that have come out of nowhere,mthe doctors know what they are but cannot explain why they are formed in the first place.
Sometimes you just have to let things be and that's what I do now and it does work.

miss polly
13-11-11, 20:24
Thank you :hugs: