PDA

View Full Version : need advice please!!

louise0501
28-09-11, 23:35
Hey i had a phone interview today for a cinema and it went well and I have a face to face interview on sat 1st so thats good a bit worried though as they asked if I had any holidays booked and I said no even though I'm meant to be going away on the 8th october with my bf and his parents for a week but I know if you tell them you have a hol booked they won't give you the time of day. Did I do the right thing? I mean interviews and jobs are few and far between. I've been unemployed for 5 months and im desperate for a job. with my social anx i find interviews very difficult so i really cant afford to turn down work as i'm completely skint.

please reply
Love Louise X

Deepest Blue
28-09-11, 23:47
Hey ya Louise :hugs:

Firstly well done for the interview, I know how daunting they can be.

I can really understand why you said you didn't have holiday wanting the job so much however I think you're going to have to tell them about your holiday on your second interview because if they decide to offer you the job with an immediate start then you're going to be in even more of a pickle.

Maybe you could tell them that you misunderstood them when they asked and you thought that they meant later on in the year.

Also, if they did offer you the job, you're not 100% sure if it will even be an immediate start are you? Sometimes it can be up to two weeks before the vacancy is available especially if you're replacing someone who's handed their notice in.

I think you should mention it though, the last thing you want to do is be in a situation where you're going to have to choose either the job or the holiday when they could have been totally reasonable about it and waited another week for your start date.

In any case, good luck :hugs:

Take Care x

HarvestMoon
28-09-11, 23:49
First of all concentrate on your Saturday interview. If you get the job they may not want you to start right away but if they do you'll have to come clean. Be enthusiastic and impress on them that you really want the job but without sounding too desparate!! Hopefully if they have given you the job they will be prepared to wait a little longer.

Good luck!

louise0501
29-09-11, 00:02
hey,thanks for the advice. the trouble is i do think that if i mention the hol then they prob won't give me the job anyway. but i was thinking if i did get it, i could maybe just say my bf booked it without me knowing as a suprize or summit and see what they say and maybe even say i could come home early which might show that the job means a lot to me. its a difficult situation and i dont really like going on hol when im looking for a job unless its a last minute thing. i have another interview on fri through an agency and i told the agency about the hol a while ago and they said the start date prob wouldnt be untill the end of oct anyway so im really relying on that one.

love louise

Deepest Blue
29-09-11, 00:23
Hi again :)

I think that whatever the reason you decide to tell them won't make a difference to the employer as they make their decision based on their own requirements. However, I still think they wouldn't mind it if you're on holiday unless they specifically told you it could affect your chances. Sometimes it's better for employers to have someone take holiday asap to get them out of the way in time for when they really need you the most and don't need to cover you, eg Xmas time etc.... Maybe your holiday allocation will only be just over a week as you're starting late in the year so taking them immediately may suite them better.

It's good that you have other options though and other jobs to consider, even if this doesn't work out at least you've got a holiday to look forward to and come back refreshed and without the stress of having things clash with interviews and jobs etc... I think you'll find something soon :)

Take Care x

bazbaz71
29-09-11, 11:15
Hi Louise,

Hmmm, difficult I know. Thing is if I were you I would mention it at the interview (or even let them know beforehand if possible.) It gets it off your chest and I know from my experiences that anything you are hiding/bottling up because you are frightened to say it, just prays on your mind and creates anxiety. At a later point it can then put you in an awkward situation as well. I don't know the employer's requirement but I reckon its highly unlikely that one week's holiday would influence their decision (unless as Deepest Blue said they've already said that they need someone immediately.)

Whoever takes the job will have to take holiday at some point, so probably better for them that it's out of the way straight away and they get you full time from 15th Oct onwards isn't it?

Good luck and hope it works out for you.
B

louise0501
29-09-11, 22:46
Hi, I have my interview for nationwide building society which I got through an agency tomorrow and I have worked there before but it turned out there start date was when I'm away but luckily they have another intake for the week after so they to keep my interview tomorrow and go for the second Intake. Any advice? I want this job so bad and it would be so nice having a job to come back to after holiday.

Please reply
Love louise