PDA

View Full Version : Introduction - My background

wangus
29-09-11, 12:07
Never introduced myself before - here goes....
I am 37 year old male. Ever since I remember (age 7?) I was a shy, nervous kid. Anti-social, nervous, miserable. At age 20 went to GP and dealt with issue to a point. Wanted medication, but not to dig deep into cause of issues. 5 years on seroxat. Worked in a role presenting sales pitches to 100+ people, hosting events, meals, guiding excursions etc. Coped reasonably well, despite harbouring my demons. Churchill's description of the BLACK DOG is the best analogy ever from my perspective. I entered the world of commercial aviation at 27. Due to my depression I had to meet with the aviation governing body's chief consultant psychologist, who said I was NOT a risk to safety, cleared to obtain medical certificates for all my licences, but I had to come of seroxat. I did, cold turkey, amazingly with few side effects, although I was determined not to let anxiety/depression ruin anything else for me.
Redundant from aerospace 2 years ago. Began to slip. Earning minimum wage working with a bunch of morons. Maintained the happy outer shell so well, even my wife was surprised when 8 weeks ago she found me sat on the bathroom floor, halfway through shaving, gently crying, saying I cannot go on like this. Went to doctor. Was told I was suffering a Neurosis. 6 weeks of citalopram/trazodone, followed by one disastrous week of mirtazapine, which I am back off now, and just today returned to citalopram. Fed up with the BLACK DOG, but accept it is there, and to a degree always will be. Hopefully the next couple of months will help me approach straight and level....

nomorepanic
29-09-11, 12:09
Hi wangus

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

paula lynne
29-09-11, 13:26
Welcome along to a fantastic supportive forum. Glad to have you with us.
Paula x:welcome:

Vanilla Sky
29-09-11, 20:19
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Paige x