PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Debx
30-09-11, 10:41
Hi, just thought I would introduce myself....I suffered panic attacks years ago and was very phobic about things but I struggled through by myself tried to keep it from everyone and somehow got through it but this time it is very different. This website has been so helpful to me in recent weeks its such a relief to know I am not on my own and not going mad:scared10:. I have been signed off work with anxiety and panic attacks and I'm 2 weeks in, every day seems to be a challenge at the moment this morning I was in tears but I am trying to stay positive, its mad to think how this has affected me in such a short space of time, it started in July when I went on holiday and on the way to the airport I got such a awful dreaded feeling and the first few days were terrible I couldn't relax at all, I felt so nervy and thought I was going to pass out at the airport coming home then things went down hill from there quite quickly over a few weeks. It seems it is related to work/colleagues and a build up of pressure over a long time. Its weird how things I took for granted now seem a challenge. I really thought I was losing it a couple of weeks ago but things have got better each day some days are better than others but I try to keep busy. The mornings are the worst for me. I hate being on my own as my mind goes into overdrive with the what ifs scenario setting off the anxiety levels again.

I am on Proponol to help with the symptoms of anxiety at first this was reluctantly because part of my fear is of losing control and taking tablets scares the hell out of me but I have settled on the proponol.

I seem to be struggling with my appetite/stomach at the moment some days I feel hungry but sick at the thought of eating but taking complan type shakes to try and help with this. I am awaiting the arrival of the Claire Weeks book Self help for your nerves as it was recommended on here:D.

I just want to get back to my "normal " self as this seems so draining waking up every day wondering what day I am going to have to face but I seem to get through each day without anything " dreadful " actually happening to me just the anxiety/panicky symptoms which rise and fall over the day, which I try to ignore or distract myself :confused:. x

nomorepanic
30-09-11, 10:44
Hi Debx

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

KayleighJane
30-09-11, 10:51
Hello deb :welcome:

you definately are not on your own as this website will show you. It does get better as time goes on, just takes a while and a lot of patience. The propanolol is very helpful i found in controlling the symptoms of anxiety and im glad you have settled on that. Everyone is so friendly on here, and its a good distraction if you are feeling anxious.

Kayleigh x

Glitterbugs
30-09-11, 13:51
Hello!

I am new too...been on here for just a few days and found great help especially in those lovely moments.

I have suffered with anxiety in the past but muddled through. I ended a very abusive marriage a couple of years ago but the effects seem to be having an effect on my current (otherwise very happy) relationship.

Past couple of weeks something happened to trigger the anxiety again and it all seems to have hit me so I know where you are coming from. Had a couple of panic attacks (new for me!) and have lost appetite and just can't seem to relax or remain positive.

GP has signed me off and prescribed short term Diazepam and in the long term, Citalopram. Had just over a week of the Cit and bad side effects are lessening but think it will be a while before I see an improvement.

Have you thought about counselling? GP referred me but NHS waiting list is months so I sorted private counselling myself which I started last week. One session in and I came away feeling positive, more peaceful and with an understanding of how past events make me feel the way I do at times. I know it will be a rocky road but I really see this to the key to me sorting things in my head.

I hope you get as much support and encouragement as I have had on here in the few days I have been here :) xxx

Vanilla Sky
30-09-11, 22:28
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Paige x

daybyday
30-09-11, 22:29
:welcome:

Debx
03-10-11, 08:22
Thanks for all your kind replies, it helps were not alone on here!!! . I got that book Claire Weeks Self Help for your Nerves . I would really recommend this. I have found a difference already in how I think the book makes sense of what you understand what is happening with the physical reactions and how you think, it also teaches you how to deal with your body's way of coping with stress so now when a wave washes over me I think to myself it's just a physical/strange reaction to my body's way of coping with too much adrenaline as my nervous system is working overtime so it doesn't react normally but it will with time ( hopefully ) ... it also teaches you that your body will have a pattern of reaction to ( fear / stress ) so no more fear of the unknown. So far it has helped me at least try and make sense of all these feelings that come over me regularly and helps deal with them but they still horrible when they come but I know they will pass with time and will not harm me which backs up the info on here with coping with symptoms.

I also have realised that I have been bottling things up for so long various family stresses which I thought I could deal with ( obviously not ! and work just topped it). I have been referred for counselling probably a long wait, |I wanted to try hypnotherapy but can't afford it but like my mum says it is good to talk get it out. She is due to visit this morning and my body is reacting like crazy started at 6.45am and hasn't settled yet but I know its just my bodys mixed up chemistry giving out too much adrenaline making me feel like this but it still is horrible and wouldn't wish it on anyone !!! I still can't eat in the morning either but maybe this is the proponol:unsure:

x