PDA

View Full Version : First CBT session

Aycie
02-10-11, 13:14
Hello all
Well I started cbt yesterday and I found it very interesting, we talked about my health worries and whats going on in my life at the moment. My first bout of HA we traced back to the traumatic birth of my first baby 27 years ago and my latest seems to have been brought on by the decision to put my Mum, who has Altzheimers, into a care home. I always thought the HA was masking my real problems and it seems this may be the case, I worry about my health to avoid worrying about other things that i don't want to face. It all make sense but it will be hard to break my thought patterns and checkig habits. Apparently those of us suffering with HA are hypervigilant which means we pick up on the smaiiest thing about our bodies that others just wouldn't notice. So this week I have to keep a diary to see what triggers my checkig behaviour and already it has me thinking twice before I do it, I really really hope this works I so want to be normal again. feel very positive about things today :yesyes: hope it lasts. x

MardyBum
02-10-11, 13:30
CBT and propal med changed my life last time i found it really useful. I was panic free for 4-5 years and I sorta already know why mines back but have signed up for another course of CBT as the dr says I seem to have new issues and worries to work through...

i always came out of my sessions with a new look on my life and worries. One thing that sticks in my mind is we as suffers have a hightened fight or flight compaired to everyone else which back in caveman days was needed, in this day and age we dont need it as much but ours works over time... also learnt how to control an attack and view it as it was happening as it how it will only go so high and will come back down... by the time it was coming back down i had legged it and was back at home or car (my safe places) so my brain believed i felt better cause i was at home/car when if i had stuck it out i would of felt better where ever i was as the anx level wass coming down anyway x

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

gosh I rambled abit there sorry! x

Aycie
02-10-11, 13:34
I know what you mean though, my therapist said I would learn to just let my anxiety run it's course and be able to just accept it without having to react to it eventually. I really hope so. x