PDA

View Full Version : Have I got social anxiety?

Lizziesaurus
02-10-11, 20:01
I've always been a shy person, it was acceptable when I was younger. Now I'm older I just appear rude and arrogant to people :scared15:
I just find I don't know what to say, or I worry I'll sound silly or say the wrong thing and sound daft.

My boyfriend seems really bothered by it and feels he can't do things because of me, I just feel akward around his friends and family. I wish I didn't feel like this and I do try but I really don't know what to do about it.
I find I'm worse when my moods low as well because I don't want to speak to anybody, nevermind people I don't know well.

I'm currently, reluctantly on 37.5mg of venlafaxine because I can't get off it, it does nothing for me other than make me feel worse to be honest.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can help myself? I really don't know what to do :shrug:

Rue52
02-10-11, 21:16
Hi Lizzie
On your earlier post, I got the impression that you are worried that you could be pregnant, Which as you know you could be if you are not taking pill as prescribed. Have you thought about a pregnancy test. You can get them very cheaply in any chemist or super market.
You also probably know that if you have intercourse[and are not sure if your pill is effective]then you can get the morning after pill free from pharmacists/practise nurse. If you are not up to remembering to take the pill
have you considered talking to your GP about slow relase/long act contraception?
Your description of yourself in social situations, reminded me so much of myself when I was young[I am a 58 female] in those days there was not such a big thing of medicalizing people. In those days one was thought of as shy[I stillam]I never liked going to partys/pubs or night clubs. I still don`t .We are all different,that does not mean there is any thing wrong with us.A few tips for meeting new people.Smile, when looking at them concentrate on the area of their face slightly above the nose,that way you will not feel anxious about eye contact. The subject that interests people the most is themseves. Ask them an open ended question[one they cannot say yes or no to] The chances are they will talk all evening about them selves[I have been doing this for over 40 yrs. it works] Steer clear of religion and politics. Jus remember to smile. As long as you don`t have BO or halitoses[even if you have, both can be remeided] What is the very worse thing that could happen at a social gathering? You are as good if not better then every one you meet.
Hope you get a good nights sleep
best wishs Rue52

ded question