PDA

View Full Version : Got counselling starting tomorrow and...

Butterfly22
03-10-11, 20:28
Im really anxious, nervous, apprehensive, worried about what to say etc, Ive never been for counselling before so it will be a new experience. Does anyone out there have any advice?

andy2
03-10-11, 20:42
You can relax because if it's with a professional councillor/psychologist you have nothing to worrie about. You are I assume an anxious nervous person and that's why you are attending this appointment. They are there to help you and if you are being yourself warts and all then the more they can help. Just let everything out and enjoy the experience of being in one of the only places where you are expected to sound at least a little crazy lol.
Seriously you have nothing to worrie about

If it's cbt you are going for then please stay focused and grounded because its not an over night fix but it is very helpful.

Take care

Paul x

Butterfly22
03-10-11, 21:05
Its with a professional counsellor.... I agree they can help more if they can see whats going on with you visibly.

vicky23
03-10-11, 22:35
hi, I went to a councellor a few months back and it was scary going to the first session this is totally natural. S/he will ask you to describe the problems you've been having to see if it's something that she can help you with, also it'll give you a chance to see if you feel comfortable with the councellor.
So just remind yourself that this person is a professional and will have heard everything before and is trained to deal with what she hears from you, you can't shock her.
You will feel anxious when you go, but as you start to talk that anxiety will go down and you'll leave hopefully feeling positive about taking steps to getting better :)
Best wishes
x

Butterfly22
04-10-11, 07:42
Thanks Vicky x

ZHBully
04-10-11, 09:05
As the others say, it's probably natural for a lot of people going to counselling to worry (or else you might not need to go anyway!), but tell her your concerns and if she is professional, she'll put you at ease. I found that I 'clicked' with my therapist early on, which was important so she could make her advice flexible to fit me. If you don't feel she's going to help you, don't feel you need to stay there either!

I guess I can't really say 'enjoy your session', but I do hope it helps you!

Zee x

blondinou
06-10-11, 21:27
Hey Butterfly22, how did the counselling go?
I am on my second to last appointment out of a 6 week course of counselling. It's the first time I've ever done it. I have found it really helpful and have progressed lots, I really like my counseller. Although I don't think the counselling alone with solve everything, you have to do your own work too and bring in other strategies e.g. exercise, yoga, vitamins whatever. It can be a bit nerve-wracking at first, but make the most of it - don't hold back on what you need to say because you're worried about what they might think of you. They have heard it all!! I'm a very reserved person and in one session I completely sobbed and wept in a very unladylike way and she was really nice about it! Also some sessions may make you feel great and others make you feel a bit unsettled or more anxious, that doesn't mean it's not helping, it just means you're working through all the difficult stuff. Change counsellor if you don't like the one you've been given, sometimes you just don't click with someone and you need to be able to connect with them. But if you feel that it's right for you and you like the counsellor, definitely complete the course even if it is hard to do!