PDA

View Full Version : Jumping??!!?

wendy
20-05-06, 12:37
Hi All

When I go to sleep I often wake startled or Jump up when nodding off, well Ive now started with this in the day today, Im sitting here with my normal c**p symtpoms (swallowing is very bad at mo [V] - sure im goin to choke) but if I hear a slight noise, knock at door, phone ring even a noise on TV I am jumping out of my skin, I also feel like I havent control of my arms, feel they are not attached to me and even tho they are obviously moving coz im typing [:I] I feel I have no control over them, how many more symptoms are there to develop, think Ive got used to them then another new one appears

Anyone else has any of these? Im tired and freaking that this is me about to faint or slip away - dont even know what I mean by slip away yet always thinking it aaaarah its driving me mad!!

Wendy xx

MrMonkey
20-05-06, 12:47
Yes! Your not alone! That's exactly how I felt last week and its classic anxiety stuff.

The jumping up and startling is becaus ewith high anxiety your body is on alert and reacting to every sound - remember the fight or flight response? Now this was useful in the barren plains thousands of years ago when man was at risk from wild animals but its pretty much useless now in our day to day lives, but that's all it is.

As for the feeling detatchment that's what freaked me out in my last panic attack. I felt like my arms weren't mine and I was going crazy but what it is, is that your brain is suddenly overloaded with stimuli and responds by "shutting down all none essential systems". It's a horrible feeling, but it passes and there is nothing wrong with you when it happens. You must remember that. I thought I was going crazy and it triggered fears of becoming schizophrenic or something but its a natural coping method for the brain, so, like th erest of the panic you just have to sit it out, I'm afriad.

It's just my high anxiety getting to the best of me. I call him Bingbongilypoop. Then I can laugh at him cos he has a funny name. HAHA! [points]

wendy
20-05-06, 12:51
Thanks for your reply, You have a great positive attitude towards anxiety and it helps that you have described exactly how I feel

Thank you

nomorepanic
20-05-06, 14:33
It is because your body is on red alert for the fight or flight response. I expect you are on high alert and then the adrenalin kicks in and startles you.

It will pass in time once you relax a bit more.

Nicola

wendy
20-05-06, 14:57
Thanks Nicola

Daisybun
20-05-06, 15:21
I get the same whem I'm dropping off to sleep at times too.

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Attsila
21-05-06, 00:35
I COMPLETELY understand. I lost 2 days of rest because of that jumpy feeling. Whenever I would jump awake I wouldn't be able to swallow, get the shakes, and the feeling that something bad was gonna happen. The other morning I thought I was gonna go completely crazy. I had been put on lots of meds that were not only not working but making the anxiety worse. So I am taking a stand. Yesterday my brother came to visit and pumped me full of chamomile tea(sweetend with honey) he then gave me 1 melatonin pill and I slept for 8 hours for the first time in 2 weeks. I woke up and half way through the day I feel weak and weird, but it was explained to me that even though I slept well last night. I still have 2 weeks of eating and sleeping to catch up on. I am just taking 1 day at a time and I am determined that if I can get 2 days of rest like that that the worst will be over at least for a while. My best advice is to just tell yourself it is anxiety and breathe through it. I have found that reading in a book or writing in a journal is immensely helpful. . I hope this helps. It you need anything let me know

worrying is alot Like a Rocking Chair It is something todo but it won't get you anywhere

JayK
21-05-06, 10:14
Yes, this is exactly the same sensations i experienced during the worst times of high anxiety.
In my case, i would fall asleep with the television or radio on and although I would never go into a deep sleep, just a loud noise on the program or perhaps a line of dialogue would have be wake up like that.

Its true the 'creep crawling' skin feeling is often reported and so is the choking thing.
For some reason those seem to be the only two symtoms I did not get lol!

One little doozy I got along with those was waking up with a feeling of terrible dread.
Just a feeling of DOOM in my body itself.
An awful awful waking sensation.
It was later explained to me this is almost certainly 'Cortisol' and other 'depression' hormones flooding in before and during my 'nap.
The bodys counter is 'downer juice' for all the 'Upper Juice' that is dumped for anxiety.

but yea.. you have some classic anxiety sensations there.
look forward to those going away soon.

katies
21-05-06, 10:47
Yes I get this all the time x

wendy
21-05-06, 12:04
Thanks all [:X]

Had a totally awful night, think id wound myself up big time but it always helps to know am not alone, Can feel it winding down now so heres to a better day and night

Thanks Again

Wendy xx

Attsila
21-05-06, 14:06
Glad you are feeling better. It is good to know that others are going through the same thing. I discovered one thing about my anxiety last night. the most I have made it through panic free has been 1 1/2 days in the past 2 weeks. I felt GREAT yesterday but the minute I started thinking about how long I had gone without I started showing symptoms and feeling the doom...I got through them and even fought to fall asleep and get some 5 hours worth but I know had I not consciously thought about how long it had been then I would've been fine another night. I think these are called anticipatory attacks or something like that. Just something to think about. Hopefully in time yours like mine will diminish. I hope this helps

worrying is alot Like a Rocking Chair It is something todo but it won't get you anywhere

wendy
21-05-06, 14:14
Hi Attsila

It does help thanks, it soooo hard this anxiety thing x

Attsila
21-05-06, 14:23
Trust me I understand. After 7 years with no attacks I started having mine regularly 3 weeks ago. I have missed almost 2 weeks of work have thought I was going crazy or dying, have been missing out on quality time with my children. I feel like the disorder is wrecking my life and even though I know it is all in my head, I continue to let it rule me. When I am not having an attack I continue to think and worry to the point that I do because it almost feels like something is off. I have just gotten to the point that I am angry. I want my life back and I want to be able to sleep at night and to be a good mom, so I can't let this kick me around. I have no choice but to get mad and think optimistically. Another thing I started doing when I am scared is writing in a journal. You can either just start writing what you are feeling or in my case I write a letter to God explaining what I am going through and asking him to take it. It really does help plus more so then talking you expend the energy writing so it burns off the adrenaline. If you need anything at all you can email me at attsila@aol.com. I know it is hard but maybe together we can help each other through it.

wendy
21-05-06, 16:30
Thought you were describing me then! Your reply just gave me a bit of my fight back, as you mention about quality time with the children, this is one of my biggest gripes with anxiety that it impacts on my son, we will get over this and get the good days back soon xx

Attsila
21-05-06, 18:41
I am really glad to know that I helped you. We WILL get the good days back again. I did think about ya while I was at church and said a prayer for you. I can't describe how happy it makes me feel that I have found a place where people understand what I am going through. :-)

wendy
21-05-06, 18:49
Thats Lovely Attsila, thank you

You are def not alone and will find a lot of comfort here x

Attsila
21-05-06, 20:00
I already have. I am so thankful and blessed to have found this forum.
I was viewing some of the posts when my boys were in the other room singing "The sun will come out Tommorrow" from Annie. I made a CD with alot of good songs and such 2 years ago and they pulled it out today and played it and have been singing to it ever since. Made me cry but now I KNOW I will get better.
Thank you again and God Bless. Hope you feel better!