PDA

View Full Version : My GP has suggested pregabalin

WolfieKate
07-10-11, 09:07
So I came off prozac, tried Mirtazapine, gave that up, now back on prozac from today and my GP wants me to think about pregabalin. I see her in 2 weeks. I am going to do some reading up and if I do decide to try it I will let you know how I get on.

Kate :yesyes:

xhyperyogix
07-10-11, 09:20
My mates been on that a few years and it has done the trick albeit very slowly as he was very ill. xxx

WolfieKate
07-10-11, 09:32
I may try it as it sounds very effective. My only worry is weight gain but it does not seem to be as big a feature of this drug as the Mirt... I shall ponder that one! I am not as ill as some folk and I know I can function albiet a heap of nerves and tears. It would be nice just to feel less anxiety!

Belleblue
07-10-11, 16:38
Hi WolfieKate - I would be very interested to know how you get on if you do take pregabalin. JT has put up some very positive posts regarding this med.
I tried mirtazapine also and found it didn't really help with my anxiety, so I too am thinking about pregabalin. I am managing at the moment with a small dose of diazepam as needed.

Take care,
Belle x

WolfieKate
07-10-11, 16:46
Hi Belle

I had to stop the Mirt due to the weight gain which was quite astonishing. I still have a remarkably prominent spare tyre so I am hoping that it will leave my system shortly and my metabolism goes back to normal! I have 2 weeks to see if I feel OK back on the prozac but my GP thought pregabalin might be an idea as a mood stablizer as I am very up and down right now and was before I stopped my prozac but that seems to help with some other stuff. What I read about Pregabalin sounds good with that big caveat about side effects again. But they all have side effects I guess! :shrug:I see my GP on 21st to tell her if I want to try it.

Kate

xhyperyogix
08-10-11, 17:03
I've not had either prozac or pregabalin, but out of both I'd opt for pregab (unless it's severe depression you have) based on the weight gain issues. (I'd never take anything if it said you'd put on weight, so I understand where you're coming from!!) From limited knowledge Pregab works on GABA receptors (like benzos do), whereas Ad's usually focus on serotonin (happy stuff).

My mate three years on is actually less heavy than he uzed to be. However, mainly I think it's to do with he used to drink loads, then had anx, and couldn't get out and about. Now, he eats healthy, exercises (he has a routine walk each day) and is doing really well. He takes pregab 3 times a day (exextly the same times) so it must have a short half life. It is a bit sedating at first I think but he said that went after a while.

Hope it works out for you.

Hyper xxx

InLimbo
08-10-11, 19:38
Hi, I'm on Pregabalin at the moment, I take 75mg in the morning, and 150mg at night. It is definitely helping me, this time a couple of months ago I wouldn't leave the house unless my hubby was with me. Now, I can do the school run again, and am going swimming each day, and going to aquafit classes.
As far as side effects go, I have had about two days where I felt tired, my appetite is normal (just make sure you take them after eating) and my menstrual cycle has lengthened (I don't mind that! ;) ) and I have sore boobs. All of which are far more tolerable than how I felt prior to starting Pregab!
It's worth a go, you can always start off on a tiny dose & build up gradually like I did (I had a bad reaction to ADs, so I was scared to try anything else!)

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:45 ----------

Just wanted to add, not sure if I'm allowed to post links here, but this is what gives me the incentive to keep up the exercise: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/18/phys-ed-why-exercise-makes-you-less-anxious/
Hope that article gives other people as much hope as it has given me!
Lou

WolfieKate
09-10-11, 17:01
Thanks everyone for the replies and thoughts! It's really good to get the info.

I am back on the prozac now and I don't really get any side effects from it at all, which I guess is because I have taken it for so long! :blush: I think you just get used to them. But I already feel calmer about my body shape. So even if that's all it does I'll carry on. I can not and will not go back to my bulimic state of mind! :lac:It would be too awful to comtemplate!! :ohmy:

Got to see my GP on 21st to review whether to trial the pregabalin but from what I read it does cause weight gain so I'm pretty much a no at this point. I guess it doesn't help that I found Mirtazapine for incredibly awful and now I too nervous to try anything else...

Good luck everyone!

Kate

Davevanza
12-10-11, 11:35
Thanks everyone for the replies and thoughts! It's really good to get the info.

I am back on the prozac now and I don't really get any side effects from it at all, which I guess is because I have taken it for so long! :blush: I think you just get used to them. But I already feel calmer about my body shape. So even if that's all it does I'll carry on. I can not and will not go back to my bulimic state of mind! :lac:It would be too awful to comtemplate!! :ohmy:

Got to see my GP on 21st to review whether to trial the pregabalin but . I guess it doesn't help that

Good luck everyone!

Good luck to you too, as you find Prozac helps you.

[QUOTE]from what I read it does cause weight gain so I'm pretty much a no at this point

Well, it does cause weight gain. As I am now getting more sample packs from my GP, but the weight gain is minimal to me.
Compared to Zyprexa, Seroquel, Mirtazapine, .... Lyrica, I find it does cause weight gain, but to me it's it's very minimal, compared to those medications above.

I found Mirtazapine for incredibly awful and now I too nervous to try anything else...

I am on Mirtazapine 90mg at night. And yes, it's true as what you said.
I got to get up from bed after about an hour after taking it, searching for carbs food.

Kind regards,
Davevanza

Belfry1973
13-10-11, 15:37
Hi chaps

For me the issue wasnt that it put weight on, it was the fact that I always felt hungry and because of this I had to find something to satisfied it. For me it was chocolate but I'm sure of you are disciplined and eat low fat things then it wont be as bad.
Personally putting on some weight was a small price to pay for the effect of it. I also have a full diary on here it you want to read my journey!

Bel

WolfieKate
14-10-11, 07:43
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I don't mind feeling hungry! Just not the weight gain which is inexplicable like the Mirtazapine! But I have a history of anorexia and bulimia so I am hyper sensitized to all body changes which is a blinking pain! I am still contemplating. My husband is anti me trying another drug as he thinks the last one was evil. But yesterday I was shaking so badly and had to drive my car to the garage which was torture. I mean I made it but it feels so unfair to be feeling so awful about tasks other people don't even think about.

I really want to try it and see what happens but I am so scared of the Mirt experience... :scared15:

InLimbo
14-10-11, 12:02
Hi, I was also scared to try it, but honestly, it has helped me immensely and I don't know where I'd be without them. If you have any questions about them, please ask, I have been on them since August.
Lou :)

Splat*
07-11-11, 23:11
Hiya

I too have a history of anorexia and, later on, bulimia and was very very worried about any psych drugs making me put on extra weight. But in the end, somehow (admittedly after 3months inpatient therapy) I concluded that a little extra weight was a small price to pay if it meant I was more 'well' otherwise.

I have been on god knows how many drugs, but one of the current ones (been on it for about 2.5 years) is Pregabalin... I'm now at 600mg a day which is the highest dose I believe. It DOES work...ok, not 'work' but really, really help. To the point where I am actually able to have a life again. I also have Lorazepam on PRN but I'm needing to take it less and less because the pregablin IS helping :)

WolfieKate
13-11-11, 17:31
Hi Splat

Thanks for that. I have gone back to prozac as my bulimia was triggered by the Mirtazapine. Instead I have increased my prozac dose and it has helped alot. I think pregabalin is a drug that is staying on my to try list if things get bad again though!

:flowers: