PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out about a cough.. thinking im gona stop breathing!!

fairyclairy
07-10-11, 19:29
Hi,

This might sound really stupid but iv got a cough... think its due to a cold going round cos not felt 100% for a couple of days but im terrified of it stopping me breathing!!

Why cant i just think 'its a simple cough, itl pass' ...... but nope, im sat here thinking im gona suddenly stop breathing, end up in hosp or die... im also thinking its a severe disease of some kind!!

I hate having the coughing attack where i cant get my breath... it scares the hell out of me!

Its a chesty cough and i am coughing up some clear phylem(sp?) which i know can be normal...... but can i just get reassurance that i wont stop breathing and that it sounds normal?!

I cant handle being ill... i really panic, which tenses my body, then i think my lungs are tight but i know theyre not, i know its just my shoulders etc all tense because i can feel it!

Any reassurance would be greatly appreciated xx

swgrl09
07-10-11, 19:38
Clear phlegm means you don't have an infection, so that is good! Even if it did become green or yellow, all that means is that you might have a cold. Don't worry, I know how hard it is to keep from worrying and it sucks. Take some cough medicine, I love Mucinex DM - It is the expectorant with a cough suppressant. It will make you cough the stuff in your chest out and makes phlegm easier to get out of the lungs.

But don't worry, you won't stop breathing! My boyfriend's chest gets tight every time he has a cough. I've felt it too. It's a scary feeling but you will be just fine!

Anxious_gal
07-10-11, 20:17
Hey if you can take codeine try that, it's also in nurofin plus, it's helps suppress your bodies urge to cough.
I had that cold, I spent hours in bed, I got very panicky because my chest felt very tight, when I would breath in I could feel my chest sort of rattle, I would cough so bad I would get very dizzy and lightheaded.
It really unnerved and I had to try so hard to stay calm.
My tummy muscles and back etc.. were in bits after the next day, then every cough would cause my muscles to cramp up and it was pure hell.
I used a hot water bottle on my chest to help with the tightness.

When you cough try and hold your breath if you get dizzy and then try to breath through your nose. Some times you'll just have to try and take deep breaths in between the coughing.