PDA

View Full Version : My BP anxiety cured!?!

valleybear
09-10-11, 15:40
I have posted this on the Phobia Forum, but know that there are many of you here who have had this problem. My Dr told me to take my BP at home and I was in a dreadful state as many of you may know I have a real fear of BP machines. I couldn't take it out the box for 2 days! Anyway, I came across this book titled "Fix your Phobia in 90 Minutes" ( A title which I frankly laughed at! ) by Anthony Gunn. He is a psychologist with personal experience of phobias. The skills and tools in this very readable paperback are generic and fit many "fear" situations.
It has taken 2 weeks and a fair amount of discomfort but I can now take my BP at anytime of the day and remain calm whilst doing so. It is an unbelievable feeling anda result which I just thought I must put out there in case it will help anyone else. It may not be for everyone but it has worked for me after years of stress and an added bonus is that I have discovered that the scary high readings were down to that stress and emotion and now they are normal...good even.It may be useful to have a look at this little gem and decide whether or not it may be of use to you... :yesyes:

cathycrumble
10-10-11, 09:45
I have posted this on the Phobia Forum, but know that there are many of you here who have had this problem. My Dr told me to take my BP at home and I was in a dreadful state as many of you may know I have a real fear of BP machines. I couldn't take it out the box for 2 days! Anyway, I came across this book titled "Fix your Phobia in 90 Minutes" ( A title which I frankly laughed at! ) by Anthony Gunn. He is a psychologist with personal experience of phobias. The skills and tools in this very readable paperback are generic and fit many "fear" situations.
It has taken 2 weeks and a fair amount of discomfort but I can now take my BP at anytime of the day and remain calm whilst doing so. It is an unbelievable feeling anda result which I just thought I must put out there in case it will help anyone else. It may not be for everyone but it has worked for me after years of stress and an added bonus is that I have discovered that the scary high readings were down to that stress and emotion and now they are normal...good even.It may be useful to have a look at this little gem and decide whether or not it may be of use to you... :yesyes:

Hi Valleybear

you are a saint as I to have the same horrible phobia it has ruined my life for 12 months even taken antidepressants to help which may I add I hate so I am coming off them I have been doing that since last thursday I know I will suffer coming off but I don't care. Hate the things. Anyway getting back to this horrid bp phobia I will be getting this book and please god it helps me. As I am sick of my thinking about bp all the time. I get one scary thought after the other about bp it's become a bloody obsession. I don't have to take it till august as the gp said I can take it at home as Iam so scared at the gps. And I can't even do that. Like you even looking at the bp machine scares the hell out of me. I am now even scared to excersise. I now take a 5mg of amlodipine which I asked to go on when i was in hospital last sep with a water infection but i was that scared my bp was high and I was doing it to myself so I said please give me something so the nurse gave me them and she said stop taking them when you finish the pack but no chance lol I have stayed on them. And like you I know if I could relax I wouldn't have high bp. well my last reading was 128/80 which is good but I just worry when they have said your bp is slightly high I just poo my self lol I am that scared. I :shrug: hope this book helps me and if you have anymore tips please pm me with them. Any help needed please I want to enjoy my xmas without worry. My kids are upset by the way I am and my partner is also upset. I just want to enjoy my life again. I am on the nhs for cbt so hoping that to will help. I am also glad it is not just me that has this fear. although wouldn't wish it on my own worse enemy. hope to here from you soon to see how you getting on.

Cathy xx

cathycrumble
11-10-11, 13:28
Just wanted to say I have ordered the book yesterday so fingers crossed it's going to help me to. That is my only problem BP lol if I get over this I will be a new woman. as I have had a bad couple of years ie mariage break up which I wanted for years. I also lost my job which was devastating. And a few other things. The bp was somthing that came with the stress. Now I am a free woman with a lovely new partner I want to enjoy my life with him and my family and stop obssesing over BP and having it taken. :ohmy:

Cathy xx

valleybear
12-10-11, 15:10
Hi Cathy,
I too am on amlodipine 5mg and it works for me. I am still taking my BP every day and readings continue to be good and to fall further as I continue to keep calm! To reassure you about exercise, BP often falls after exercise and mine has done so regularly. Also 128/80 is great and mine was much, much higher than that with the stress many times when I started taking it at home....I didn't improve overnight but I can truthfully say that I am no longer afraid of a BP machine!! I really hope that you are successful in beating this. Do let me know how you go on. Best of Luck.X:hugs:

cathycrumble
12-10-11, 17:16
I will let you know. What makes me laugh is I asked the nurse in the hospital to give me a pill for my bp when I was in for 3 days with a bad water infection. lol because I was that anxious everytime the nurse came round to take my bp I would panic really bad. And when I got discharged she said when you have finished that pack you don't need anymore but I still take them lol.

What was the best part or chapter of the book that helped you that I would need to study? :unsure:

Cathy xx

valleybear
21-10-11, 16:11
Cathy,
It is really easy to read and you do need to read it all. The only thing is that I did not have the help of a " phobia friend" as suggested as I live on my own and I couldn't really ask anyone...but I managed. Hope you will too. XX

cathycrumble
21-10-11, 17:48
Hi

And thanks for getting back to me. I have the book but I am so anxious I havnt looked at it yet as I am scared I may fail. I need to be strong I have had my letter today for my CBT.

I do know why I am a bit more axious is becouse I have come off my citalopram and i am having acute withdrawals. but I was expecting this. I also went to my gp who has perscribed beta blockers for the withdrawals. The only prob is she's told me not to use the bp machine as it will make my fear worse. I don't know some gps say do it at home and some say dont. What do you think? I did try to take it about 4 days ago and my son and daughter took theres as well lol, and they were fine they are 27 and 29 years old so young lol I am 58. Well mine was highish but my heart was beating so fast lol Iwas sooo nervous no wander it was high and that's when I feel down and upset. and so the vicious circle goes on :scared15:.

Cathy xx