PDA

View Full Version : slow pulse potassium overdose?

Sora787
09-10-11, 22:12
Hi, I'm almost 19 and I have GAD and chronic health anxiety. I haven't been on here lately but I've just started uni again and recently I've been getting more panic attacks and feeling more anxious. At the moment it's being afraid of having a stroke or a heart attack when exercising, but at the same time I've started worrying about hyperkalemia (potassium overdose) because I don't have that much salt from fear of getting HBP and therefore maybe having a stroke but instead have lots of fruit like bananas and oranges and also veg when I can, as well as having things like milk and honey with porridge, so quite a bit of potassium in my diet to compensate for exercise anxiety. Anyway my pulse feels quite slow and weak when at rest (40-50bpm generally, has possibly been lower), I get tingling/chest pains/feel like I can't breathe sometimes and my heart has felt like it's jumped right out of my chest/that area is tingling a lot spontaneously. I'm now worried if I keep eating so healthily or have anything like honey then my heart will stop or enter cardiac arrest, but if I don't I will get overweight and develop heart disease and if I drink water instead of eating I'll dilute my electrolytes to stop the heart too. Basically I cannot really do anything or I will die lol. Has anyone ever suffered this or similar?

P.S. I've had ECG/ETT and everything but that was last year as was my bloods, I think I might be at more risk now since I only started the honey etc. when started having porridge to help regain the weight I lost from anxiety and last eyar

LucyLiz
09-10-11, 22:25
Hey, I'm in a similar position to yourself. Been quite good for ages then started back at uni and wham, in a dreadful place right now. My concerns surround my heart too. Anything and everything. Ended up staying in A&E last Saturday after chest pains, bp 190/110 and pulse 170+. Was told all anxiety. Been referred to cardiologist though, perhaps for my own benefit. Have acid reflux which gives me many strange chest sensations too which makes me panic a lot! My mum died off heart failure caused my low sodium so I also worry about electrolyte unbalances :-(

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

Ps what's the worry with the honey, don't quite understand?

Sora787
09-10-11, 22:35
Hey, I'm in a similar position to yourself. Been quite good for ages then started back at uni and wham, in a dreadful place right now. My concerns surround my heart too. Anything and everything. Ended up staying in A&E last Saturday after chest pains, bp 190/110 and pulse 170+. Was told all anxiety. Been referred to cardiologist though, perhaps for my own benefit. Have acid reflux which gives me many strange chest sensations too which makes me panic a lot! My mum died off heart failure caused my low sodium so I also worry about electrolyte unbalances

Hope you're alright, night in hospitaals are horrible. All the best for the cardiologist!
OMG I'm scared, people do die of low sodium. I'm so sorry to hear that abuot your mum though : (
P.S. Honey has quite a bit of potassium, my gran keeps suggesting it to me with hot milk/porridge to calm me down but then I think her BP is a bit higher than mine these days!

LucyLiz
09-10-11, 22:42
My mum had a dodgy heart after cancer treatment so I think in a healthy heart it probably wouldn't have caused a heart attack. I just always remember them saying that to me and wondering why and how. I'm addicted to honey!

Geoff2301
10-10-11, 08:32
I wouldn't worry about a slow pulse........ its usually indicative of how fit you are. I remember reading that Lance Armstrong had a pulse of about 35 at rest! Mines usually roundabout 50-55. Everyones different!

Sora787
10-10-11, 18:02
Well I have sinus arrythmias and incomplete bundle branch block but the cardiologist I saw said it's perfectly fine, maybe different if I was 55 or so but in a young man it's a sign of good health. Gonna have to trust the docs otherwise we'll go crazy!
Alright, thanks for the replies everyone, I've had a rough night's sleep from expecting to die but I'm still here today aren't I? So everything is probably okay and it's just anxiety : ) yum to honey too ;D