PDA

View Full Version : therapy again? or not?

emster
21-05-06, 11:55
im wondering if anyone might have some advice for me about therapy, particularly from people who have had more than one course of sessions from the same person.
i was referred to a clinical psychologist at the age of 18 for anxiety and depresssion and panic attacks, i saw her once a week for nearly a year, the problem went away and i stopped seeing her. when i was 22 my problems started again and i asked my gp if i could be referred for counselling again, he agreed to this and arranged it but also told me that they ususally dont like sending people for theapy more than once because they just end up going over old ground. i saw her for maybe about six months and i seemed to be making good progress then so i got discharged. since then howerver i think i have gone backwards quite a lot in my recovery and i dont seem to be doing paricularly well coping on my own.
im not sure now whether i ought to go back and see the psychologist, or if it would be a waste of time because on the one hand in a way i agree with the doctor and think maybe theres nothing else she could do and nothing new she could tell me that would help me and we perhaps covered everything in previous sessions. also i do sort of get the feeling that it would be another case of me using other people as a crutch when really i ought to be taking a bit more resposibility for sorting my problems out for myself.
on the other hand like i said i dont seem to be doing well with dealing with it by myself and im not quite sure where to go from here to start making some progress again.
so i was wondering, what do other people think? should i or shouldnt i?

wendy
21-05-06, 12:22
Hi

I can not speak from experience as only due to start m therapy next week however I believe if you found the therapy a help and comfort to you then dont see why there should have to be a time limit on how many times / sessions you receive, I would say if you feel this is what you need go for it, we are all different and need different treatments / response times

Good luck

Wendy x

AngieC
21-05-06, 17:32
If it works for you then I don't see why you should feel bad about going back. I'm only on my fifth session of CBT and there have been times I have felt like we're going over the same ground and wonder whether I should stop. Then i tell myself why should I worry. It's working so that can only be a good thing, surely?

I hope you work it out :)